Author Topic: Aircraft we like..  (Read 243586 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Aircraft we like..
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 10:05:56 AM »
I have to admit a fondness for the SR myself. Amazing what was designed with a slide rule. Even more amazing there isn't anything (?) more advanced today.
I'll be meeting up with an old friend tonight who used to wrench on the SR and U2.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
Even more amazing there isn't anything (?) more advanced today.

(?) exactly!......or so they would have us believe.  :-X  8)

Offline okxd45

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
When I was stationed at Hill AFB I learned to truly appreciate the F16.  Loved when someone important was around and they would do a "demo run".  :)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
When I was stationed at Hill AFB I learned to truly appreciate the F16.  Loved when someone important was around and they would do a "demo run".  :)

Those very F-16s you grew to appreciate still fly over my house on the way to the UTTR.  In fact, they've been conducting night training missions in the last week or so, and I heard a pair zoom overhead just a few minutes ago.  The F-4's had a more distinctive sound when they used to fly overhead, back when the 388th still had them, but the F-16s are cool too!

2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »
These threads always show the same dozen or so "favorite" aircraft.  That's OK, but MY favorite has always been the Grumman J2F Duck. 

https://www.google.com/#q=picture+of+grumman+duck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_J2F_Duck
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 08:21:54 PM »
That's the whole point of this thread....Aircraft we like.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »
I was this close to joining up and heading down to the Falklands when Argentina decided on their bit of mischief.  I think that I stayed glued to the tv the entire time.  What I don't understand is why GB did not use the Victors.  They were faster, had longer ranges, and carried more conventional bombs.

Thanks for providing the video, Charlie.  It gave me goose bumps.  I'm still watching it but I have to get some stuff done this morning...like work.

As I understand it the V bombers (Valiant / Vulcan / Victor) were designed at a time when SAM technology was poor and the mind set was if you flew high and fast nothing would hurt you................................you guys lost a U2 to a SAM in the Gary Powers incident.  Hence the SR71 a plane that was only publically acknowledged years after its first missions......................That loss of your U2 caused a major rethink of the British mutually assured destruction defence scenario with the government of the day buying Polaris.................................in the stop gap years before that system went live we had to defend ourselves so the low high low mission profile was employed with the V bombers.......................................The Valiant did not stand up to the massively increased airframe stress that low level flying brought and after a series of accidents the fleet was x-rayed and grounded after the main wing spares were found to have fatigue fractures.  You are correct Jim in saying that the Victor went faster / carried more further than the Vulcan but the Vulcan handled the low level work far better than Victor.  The early Victor fleet had already been converted to tankers so the Mk2's went the same way........................The Vulcans at the time of the Falkland's had already been scrapped and the planes were put back to service much to the delight of the public.  The Victors were still in service years later in the Gulf topping up allied planes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=v+bombers&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB430IE526&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=q1qFUvOHKM-ThgegrYDwBQ&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=587#facrc=_&imgdii=uiXiQF8ouM6-gM%3A%3BN_aeICQYyU1FgM%3BuiXiQF8ouM6-gM%3A&imgrc=uiXiQF8ouM6-gM%3A%3BPe_afdeFxDv1LM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fspeedreaders.info%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2010%252F04%252FVbombers1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fspeedreaders.info%252F191-profiles_of_flight_by_windle_aamp_bowman%3B498%3B368

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB430IE526&biw=1366&bih=587&tbm=isch&tbnid=9xVHNb1agL2MxM:&imgrefurl=http://www.wingweb.co.uk/aircraft/The_Handley_Page_Victor.html&docid=HWqzGrnQTcZbZM&imgurl=http://www.wingweb.co.uk/wingweb/img/450-Handley_page_victor_b1_hp.jpg&w=450&h=313&ei=MVuFUrG_KdKThQet4oCgDA&zoom=1&iact=rc&page=2&tbnh=187&tbnw=237&start=9&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0&tx=127&ty=122

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB430IE526&biw=1366&bih=587&tbm=isch&tbnid=wJQ1xt4WYsBIhM:&imgrefurl=http://tailspinstales.blogspot.com/2009/04/falkland-mission-impossible.html&docid=MjyNWQOwQJf9QM&imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NFtqCMIGTKU/SePWG8-IiOI/AAAAAAAACQw/45xAk5YjuxQ/s400/vulcan3.jpg.jpeg&w=400&h=266&ei=MVuFUrG_KdKThQet4oCgDA&zoom=1&iact=rc&page=2&tbnh=183&tbnw=216&start=9&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0&tx=110&ty=99

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »
Good answer!  Thanks!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »
The problem with the U2 was it flew high (70k ft) but not very fast. Top speed is 500 mph and cruise 375 mph.
The SR fixed that at 100k + and Mach 3+ and very stealthy.
But the SR has been retired and the U2 (TR-2) is still flying.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »
I just saw a reference to "the cornfield bomber" on TV and found this article.  Amazing story about a pilot who punched out and the aircraft that "landed itself".  I grew up close to an Air Force base that flew F-106's and when I was a kid I loved watching them scream over our house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornfield_Bomber
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »
it's ok... SR-72 on it's way....  8)

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/170463-lockheed-unveils-sr-72-hypersonic-mach-6-scramjet-spy-plane
If the -71 was too expensive to operate the -72 most assuredly will be.
The big problem with the -71 is all the tooling to make parts was ordered destroyed while the craft were still in use.
Notice they say the -71 was put in service in '66? The planes were built in '61, as evidenced by their serial numbers.
I have a couple friends who were part of the U2 and SR program. They have some neat stories from their travels around the world with HABU.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
Charlie, you'll never believe this but I stopped in an Antique store in Verona, Virginia after a job and came across a picture, fully framed, of the Avro Vulcan.  Couldn't believe it and now I have to find a place to hang it.  Course, this is also the area where I found an IBM synchronized clock...

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
Charlie, you'll never believe this but I stopped in an Antique store in Verona, Virginia after a job and came across a picture, fully framed, of the Avro Vulcan.  Couldn't believe it and now I have to find a place to hang it.  Course, this is also the area where I found an IBM synchronized clock...

LOL.........................I'll email you some pictures of local sights when I get a day off.......................should put a smile on your faces....................what is the XH number of the plane in your picture Jim ?

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
Thank you, Charlie!  Bombers are my favorite and I do have soft spot for Vulcans.

The art is going to take a bit of detective work.  No XH number that I can see but there are some distinctive markings on it so maybe I can determine something from that.  The art is 'signed' by a Carol Steed, dated 1978 and the aircraft is landing.  At least I hope it is...the parachute is deployed.  Not good form to do that on a take off..

Narrowed down to 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron...based out of RAF Waddington.  Squadron was disbanded in 1982 :'( .

What a beautiful aircraft....sigh.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
In doing a search for the aircraft I found that RAF Brize Norton (Oxfordshire) is 'Alive!'.  I thought that base died when US forces left in 1965.  Also found out it was one of the bases used for temporary deployments of the B/RB-36.  They came over for visits (that's how my Dad met my Mom), but they never overstayed their welcome.  Brize Norton was also a SAC Reflex base for the B-47.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:25:56 PM by VirginiaJim »

Bergmen

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
If the -71 was too expensive to operate the -72 most assuredly will be.
The big problem with the -71 is all the tooling to make parts was ordered destroyed while the craft were still in use.
Notice they say the -71 was put in service in '66? The planes were built in '61, as evidenced by their serial numbers.
I have a couple friends who were part of the U2 and SR program. They have some neat stories from their travels around the world with HABU.

The A-12 (forerunner of the SR-71) first flew on April 25, 1962. The first flight of the SR-71 was on December 22, 1964.

Dan

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »
I like this one.

Boeing 747 jumbo jet stuck after mistakenly landing at tiny Kansas airport.
The airfield where the plane landed is around thousand feet too short for the huge airplane to take off.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/massive-boeing-747-jumbo-jet-stuck-after-mistakenly-landing-at-tiny-kansas-airport-8954408.html

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »
I like this one.

Boeing 747 jumbo jet stuck after mistakenly landing at tiny Kansas airport.
The airfield where the plane landed is around thousand feet too short for the huge airplane to take off (SAFELY)

Planes can always takeoff from any runway but doing so successfully does depend on the length of said runway
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)