Author Topic: Junction view on Garmin Map Update 2012.2  (Read 3550 times)

Offline COGnosticat0r

Junction view on Garmin Map Update 2012.2
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:33:37 AM »
When I downloaded this latest map update I noticed that junction views didn't work on most exits on my next trip and wondered wtf.  I ran across a thread on the zumo forum that addressed this problem and how to increase the amount of junction views and here is info from the Zumo forum:

I have Garmin nüMaps Lifetime North America Map Updates and recently updated my Zumo 665 to map version 2012.2. However, after installing the map update I that noticed the size of the file where the junction views are stored on the Zumo had decreased in size by over half of what it was prior to the update (from about 104 MB to 50 MB). One would think that with a map update the size of the file should increase and not decrease. So I sent an email to Garmin tech support asking them what's up with this and below is the response I got:

"Garmin City Navigator mapping data has begun using a combination of sources for Junction View (JCV) information in an effort to bring the richest mapping content available. You may notice that locations which previously had JCV information no longer have this information, and likewise areas that didn’t have JCV in the past are now included. This is because the sources we use to collect this information along with the criteria that we use to select the included intersections are gradually changing and we are always evaluating the best locations for this information."

I was not happy with this response nor was I willing to accept their "less" equals better quality philosophy. So I did some further research on the Internet and found a solution to this issue which is basically a download of a larger JCV file that is then copied over to the Zumo unit. This fix is posted on the below web site:

https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=103430&postcount=29

I've implemented this fix on my Z665 and so far it works very well as it seems to show much more junction view information that it ever did before. I don't know why Garmin doesn't just make this a publicly available download. It seems to me that they are just glossing over the issue. I don't know what I'll do when the next map update comes out as future downloads of the larger JCV file may not be available then

I hope this helps if you also noticed the junction view problem
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Junction view on Garmin Map Update 2012.2
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:39:15 AM »
Thanks, Jerry!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:18:25 AM »
What's a junction view?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
What's a junction view?
I think it is called different things on different GPS models.  Usually it shows what the intersection (or highway interchange) looks like, and directs you where you need to go.  Useful on some major interstate interchanges where you have several options and the voice just tells you to "Exit Right".
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »
Thanks!

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:01:32 AM »
I think it is called different things on different GPS models.  Usually it shows what the intersection (or highway interchange) looks like, and directs you where you need to go.  Useful on some major interstate interchanges where you have several options and the voice just tells you to "Exit Right".
Do you happen to know what it is called in a Nuvi 500? I have never played with a Zumo but my impression is that they work the same. What is the name of the junction view file?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:55:36 PM »
Do you happen to know what it is called in a Nuvi 500? I have never played with a Zumo but my impression is that they work the same. What is the name of the junction view file?

Nope.  No idea.  I have a Nuvi 200 and it doesn't have the junction view feature.  Don't know about the others.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157