Author Topic: Another Coast- To- Coast in 50 hours.... maybe  (Read 29134 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Another Coast- To- Coast in 50 hours.... maybe
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
I'm not quite sure what to do with myself for the next 24 hours now????? ???

Andrea

I think you should take an enjoyable nap, going just by your post times, I think you could use a little more shut eye.
Thanks for the updates Andrea, it added a lot. Even if cut short, I enjoyed this trip  :) more than the last one where I
just stared at a Spot map.  :o

Glad you could join us. Say hey to Brian for all of us. :)

Ditto!

Offline mike

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »
Smart man... Stay safe & enjoy the ride.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
The show is never over....  Just maybe a different show then the one we were expecting but he is still on the road away from home and experiencing things some of us only dream about so continue with the show perhaps with a different ending then we expected but sometimes shows are better when they are unpredictable. 

The show must go on!!  :) :)

Good post! +1!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »
Just got off the phone with Brian, he's called the ride, hail the size of golfballs, bouncing 6 feet into the air, locals are calling for baseball sized hail.  He was lucky as he had just pulled in for fuel when the storm hit.  So, many kudos to a rider who knows when to call it good, and Brian is the definition of a Rider.  His plan is to break the remainder of the trip into 2-700 mile days, stop and smell the roses kinda ride.  He will still have his Spot on for the ride and if things work out I'll still try to meet up with him somewhere along the way.

+100

There will always be another chance to ride, but only if you're on the green side of the grass.   Andrea, good for you keeping in touch with him and letting us know how he's doing.

Jeff
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Son of Pappy

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »
I wonder if Brian is becoming piratized?  He has been in the Sturgis region for quite some time ;D  I can see it know, a Silverdammit 14, massive amounts of leather tassles, 2 cup holders, chrome pipes (straight of course), chrome fenders, and the rider wearing a skull cap and fingerless gloves.  Andrea, whatever will you do with him when he starts calling ya his "Ol Lady"? ;)  I wonder if Kirby will be his VP or Sergeant of Arms?
Oh well, I reckon I'll start worrying when he announces he just installed a cruise control on his new wide glide :o
And Steve, it appears KIPASS has finally failed Brian, if only he had installed new batteries, that hail woulda melted long before hitting the ground.  I think I'm going to buy an FJR now :o :o 8)

Offline andreaF

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2012, 05:11:04 AM »
oh yes he's gone to the dark side for sure, I wonder if he'll turn???  Tell him, swearing me to secrecy...but not turnng Spot off doesn't give him the desired results...... ;D  !!   

Andrea

I wonder if Brian is becoming piratized?  He has been in the Sturgis region for quite some time ;D  I can see it know, a Silverdammit 14, massive amounts of leather tassles, 2 cup holders, chrome pipes (straight of course), chrome fenders, and the rider wearing a skull cap and fingerless gloves.  Andrea, whatever will you do with him when he starts calling ya his "Ol Lady"? ;)  I wonder if Kirby will be his VP or Sergeant of Arms?
Oh well, I reckon I'll start worrying when he announces he just installed a cruise control on his new wide glide :o
And Steve, it appears KIPASS has finally failed Brian, if only he had installed new batteries, that hail woulda melted long before hitting the ground.  I think I'm going to buy an FJR now :o :o 8)

Offline andreaF

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2012, 05:18:16 AM »
Thanks! It's been a blast....I've kept Brian up with some of the observations/comments the whole time....so he's had his chuckles with it too....he'll be back soon with entertaining stories of his adventure!

Andrea

Glad you could join us. Say hey to Brian for all of us. :)

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2012, 07:20:52 AM »
I'll be riding in the Black Hills area in a little less than 3 weeks and may pass through Sturgis to take a look around.  I'll try to remember to keep an eye out for discarded connie parts. And of course for wall photos of Brian and the local wildlife chopping the remainder of his connie into that new wide glide.

Seriously though, I was sorry to see the adventure end but glad he's safe and can relax and have an "easy" trip while taking in the scenery. Safe travels!

Brent

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2012, 07:57:58 AM »
Well hail, now you can post more pics...be carefull, be Brian.
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »
I have to chalk this one up as a failure. I am in Tacoma, WA safe and sound as of Sat. evening. I got stuck in SD- I was fueling when the sky turned black all the way to the ground and the wind picked up. In the northeast it is what we would call a squall. The locals were trying to hide their cars and weather reports were calling for hail and 60+ MPH winds. So I hung around for long enough to pretty much close the time window on a CC 50 and ended up scrapping the ride, at least the CC 50 aspect.

Then I did a terrible thing-  I grabbed a hotel in Sturgis, SD. Yep, I am a little self loathing as I tell this story but it is the truth. When I got to the town line, the town officials made me wear a do- rag that said 'Cruisers Rule' just to cross over the town line. I did manage to rent an eye patch and parrot though so at least people thought I was a pirate rather than.... one of the other group of people who wear do- rags. There was a railroad track right down the middle of 'Main st.' and I got to hear a bunch of loud, slow, badly running, clanking, knocking vehicles. I saw one train also.

But seriously, I am OK with scrapping the ride due to weather. There was nothing I could do about it and I just wussed out on riding through hail. In the end, that was really not a bad way to have the ride end in a failure as nothing was broken or bleeding and I could continue on the next day.

I have no plans for the ride home but I will add a fuel cell, new GPS mount (Aqua Box works find but cannot see the display behind the plastic) and maybe some highway pegs. And the prevailing winds blow from west to east so it should be a downhill ride back home.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
I've always considered a ride to be an adventure. I would have liked to have shared your failure. 8)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
Failure my ass.  If you had continued to ride in those conditions, that would have been failure.  I would like to get a pic of that path and fancy headgear though.  Get some rest and I'll give ya a ring tomorow.  As I was coming home today I though the "Aroma of Tacoma" had returned, but then I remembered you were due in today ;D  I'd have met ya but I was busy teaching a level 2 dirt class, I was having fun in the dirt :o
And a big Welcome back Brian :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »
Indeed, I agree with Chet!  :thumbs:

Welcome back to the PNW Brian, it's supposed to be dry all week, enjoy it!  :)   :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2012, 06:22:01 AM »
Whatta baby! A little hail wouldn't have hurt ya none/much, you had a helmet on din't ya?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:13 AM »

Then I did a terrible thing-  I grabbed a hotel in Sturgis, SD. Yep, I am a little self loathing as I tell this story but it is the truth. When I got to the town line, the town officials made me wear a do- rag that said 'Cruisers Rule' just to cross over the town line. I did manage to rent an eye patch and parrot though so at least people thought I was a pirate rather than.... one of the other group of people who wear do- rags. There was a railroad track right down the middle of 'Main st.' and I got to hear a bunch of loud, slow, badly running, clanking, knocking vehicles. I saw one train also.

Brian

How did the Parrot do in the hail?  ;)
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »
Yep, and a visor too- you are correct and I am a wuss. I feel like Mary Jane Tinklepants although she might consider me a bit beneath her at the moment. Oh well, at least Kirby can say "I told you so" when I get home.

Brian

Whatta baby! A little hail wouldn't have hurt ya none/much, you had a helmet on din't ya?    ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2012, 11:33:08 AM »
Yep, and a visor too- you are correct and I am a wuss. I feel like Mary Jane Tinklepants although she might consider me a bit beneath her at the moment. Oh well, at least Kirby can say "I told you so" when I get home.

Brian

Glad you made it.  I wussed out in a hail storm once too, though I was on a dirt bike in the desert, and I had to ride for almost a mile to get to cover.  It really hurts on the backs of the hands and forearms.

How long are you planning on hanging around this side of the continent?  Any rides planned yet?  Next week I'm hoping to wrap up a couple months of hell week, and take a few days off.  I've almost got my C14 back together, and will be looking to add some more miles to the odometer.  Since the weather forecasts are all over the place as of last night, anything goes with that.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »
I was lucky in that I was already in a gas station and under a canopy when that whole mess started so I never even got wet.

I will be here for the next two weeks. No plans for doing anything at all here including riding but I may be open to something going on. I do plan on mounting a temporary aux. fuel cell and re-working the secondary GPS mount for the trip home. I am trying to hunt down fuel line, AN fittings and connectors locally right now. Who knows, if those mods. go well I might be able to make the trip home in a couple of days. :-)

Brian

Glad you made it.  I wussed out in a hail storm once too, though I was on a dirt bike in the desert, and I had to ride for almost a mile to get to cover.  It really hurts on the backs of the hands and forearms.

How long are you planning on hanging around this side of the continent?  Any rides planned yet?  Next week I'm hoping to wrap up a couple months of hell week, and take a few days off.  I've almost got my C14 back together, and will be looking to add some more miles to the odometer.  Since the weather forecasts are all over the place as of last night, anything goes with that.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »
saw that storm on the news when your wife posted about it. glad you are alright and did the sensible thing!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
I was lucky in that I was already in a gas station and under a canopy when that whole mess started so I never even got wet.

I am trying to hunt down fuel line, AN fittings and connectors locally right now. Who knows, if those mods. go well I might be able to make the trip home in a couple of days. :-)

Brian

Any race car builders/suppliers in the area?  I'm sure SOP would know.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.