Author Topic: New C10 owner - reccomended maintenance?  (Read 6334 times)

Offline atye

New C10 owner - reccomended maintenance?
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
Just picked this 2004 C10 up. I'm told it was sitting for about a year (title pawn broker had it). I've owned 3 Kawasaki's before (SR650, LTD1000B2, ZRX1100) but this is my first Connie.

It runs like a million dollars. The carbs seem perfect, the engine is dead quiet at highway speeds, and everything is great. My initial drive home was about 75 miles of I-20 in West Georgia/Atlanta and it ran like a new machine. It does need a clutch m/c rebuild (won't release pressure), a speedo cable, front brake light switch, and the coolant temp gauge is dead, but that seems to be it so far. It shows 35k miles, but who knows since the speedo cable is broken?

What should I do as far as a good PM to the bike? Oil change, flush and fill the cooling system, sure, but what else? Do I need to do anything to the final drive? Are there any areas that need special attention on this model?
Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!
Alex

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: New C10 owner - reccomended maintenance?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »
Connies are solid high mile capeable bikes with little more than routine maintenance. Other than the basics you've already mentioned, check for hydrolock and get overflow tubes installed in the float bowls (see SISF, read the stickies on hydrolock). Adjust the valves, check for head bearing play or notchieness. You've had other bikes, so I doubt much of this is new info as it is a reminder. Oh, the bike has 2 oil drain plugs, don't learn the way I did!

A few farkles on the bike, in case you don't know; The stainless screws in the clutch and brake master cylinders, bar risers, the Givi top box (of course), cruise control, others will find more, Nice bike!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline cmoore

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:17:40 AM »
Congrats on the new scoot. Looks to be in great shape. Yep, change all the fluids front to back and do a valve adjust. Check the brake pads and take a close look at the tires. That rear looks thin in the picture. Lot's of people on the forum run fuel filters so I would consider that. Change the plugs and check the air filter. Lot's of folks use the K&N air filter me included. As you get deeper into your addiction you will find the after market for this bike is considerable and there are many ways to spend your money. With only 35K the bike has a lot of life left in it. It really is a great bike. I've had my '02 now for going on 9 years and have never had a lick of trouble with it that I couldn't figure out with the help of this forum. Ride safe.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:33:17 AM »
I did some you tube maintenance video's. Start here, and check out the others as needed If you own a Concours ZG1000  Steve

Offline atye

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:20:35 AM »
Thanks for all of the helpful responses!
 ;D

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:30:45 AM »
I change oil & adjust valves EVERY SINGLE YEAR - whether it needs it or not!  Now - that's roughly every 10K miles, but virtually all my riding is Hwy/Secondary rds vs commuitng.

Odd note - these like higher tire pressure than what Id had on previous bikes: 40/42 seems to be the agreed upon number F/R.

F. Wheel bearings - are a bit small for their load, mine died at 25K, and replacing them again at 50K this winter when I do my ANNUAL oil and valve thing.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:40:18 AM »
Welcome to the COGdom. Most have answered your questions.
Next step,, Come ride with us....
Where are you located?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline atye

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:25 AM »
Thanks again for the tips.

Ted, I am located in Peachtree City, GA, about 30 minutes below the ATL airport.
I'm looking forward to putting lots of miles on the Connie this year!

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
A few things to consider:

Tip Over Bars:  Strongly consider getting these for your Connie.  The mirrors, footpegs, and side/front fairings will thank you.

About the driver pegs:  If the previous owner hasn't done this already, you'll note that they only fold up about 45 degrees.  this can be a problem if the bike goes over.  I found it helpful to grind off the 'tab' on the footpeg that keeps the pegs from folding up completely, so that is rounded off and the pegs can fold completely up.  This may help save the peg if the bike goes over (unless you already have tipover bars).

Handlebar vibrations:  If this is bothering you, do a forum search on various solutions to this.  This is a well discussed topic.  I went with packing my handlebars and getting gel grips myself, but there are several good ways to address this issue.  This might also be a good time to think about bar risers...

Front Fork Brace:  If your bike doesn't have one of these already, consider getting one.  Again, forum search is your friend.

Visit SISF's site:  His carb kits, overflow tubes, and '7th gear' unit are da bomb!  You may find something you like there...
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

Also, Murphskits: Great source for various things for the Connie: http://www.murphskits.com.  Great service as well!

I love Bergman's quick release tank kit!  This makes accessing the plugs/valves just a little easier.  Murphs sells these.

TCro and Snarf have some nice things for the Connie too (Stick Coil kits, new shift linkage, etc.).  See the 'For Sale' subforum for info.

Bafflectomy:  Do a forum search on this topic, and make up your own mind.  Doing this lowered my handlebar vibes just slightly, gave me a slight boost to performance, and most importantly: My Bike Sounds Meaner Now...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »
Pics do show a fork brace, I missed that in my quick list of farkles already on the bike...
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »
Atye, the Run with the Wolf Ride is coming up soon. Look into going. You wil not be disappointed!
Compared to my Texas Location, It is relatively close to you.
Someone else can give you the dates info.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »
atye--- before you get too deeply involved with the clutch problem, make sure the tiny relief port in the clutch master cylinder is not obstructed. If it is, it can cause clutch slippage. Good luck with your new purchase.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline atye

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »
atye--- before you get too deeply involved with the clutch problem, make sure the tiny relief port in the clutch master cylinder is not obstructed. If it is, it can cause clutch slippage. Good luck with your new purchase.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Tom,
I am 99% sure that is my problem. I flushed the master cylinder Saturday, but didn't get a chance to go for a test ride. I had a similar blockage issue with a front caliper on a Suzuki RE-5 (anyone remember those?) back in the '80's.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24:33 AM »
I think th RE was a Rotary?
You had ONE??

if so,,,, I always wondered how they ran? Powerful for the displacement? Gas mileage suck?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
No one mentioned your temp gauge from what I see.  The gauge will most likely read lower than what you are used to seeing when it is operating "correctly".  It usually hangs out just above the first mark (1/8") to about one third across the gauge.  It will kind of just move around in this range.

If it is not working at all, there is a push on connection under the gas tank that may have come loose or off.  Sometimes the little rivet on the sending switch that holds the connector tab on gets loose and can be snugged up with a center punch and small hammer.  Be gentle around the thermostat housing.  There is a large o-ring that turns to black bubble gum inside and can leak if disturbed.  Also, there is an o-ring where it connects to the coolant log (just below the housing) that gets abused when taking the valve cover on and off and it can leak to.  I would highly recommend ordering these from Murph to keep on hand as they are inexpensive but a must have.  I actually carry them on the bike with my tools.

Put some miles on the bike and then...

I would also consider changing the fork oil.  It is usually ignored or put off way to long.  I think your year requires removing them.  Not really that hard but allow a few hours the first time.  If you want to replace the seals, buy OEM not K&L.  Non OEM at the forks and you are inviting a leak.  Since you have them off it would be a good time to change or cut a section off to stiffen the front end (assuming the still OEM) if you are getting that horrendous stock front end dive.  Most riders switch to 10w or 15w fork oil.  Some, like myself, have cut off 5" from the soft coil section (close wound) and replaced it with the same length of PVC pipe for a more stiff (and better handling) front end.

The shock fluid can be changed too.

The rear end can be changed while on the side stand.  Empty it after a ride and fill it back up till it comes to the bottom of the hole.  One quart of good synthetic will give you more than three fluid changes.  I change mine annually.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline atye

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
I think th RE was a Rotary?
You had ONE??

if so,,,, I always wondered how they ran? Powerful for the displacement? Gas mileage suck?

Ride safe, Ted

ONE, no... Two, yes! (a 1975 and a 1976)
Wankel rotary powered, 500cc, single-plug, single-rotor.
Smoothest engine ever, period, no arguments. The motor was bolted to the frame with solid mounts and there was zero "buzz". The tach went to 8500 (I think), but it would rev as far as you felt comfortable, probably around 10-12K.  Hope to own another one in the future.
It was heavy, but torquey as hell. My wife (at the time) had a new 1993 or so Suzuki GS500E and they were comparable 0-85MPH or so. MPG was not great and was one of the original reasons they "flopped". I worked for Panasonic when I had this bike running back in the mid-90's and the Japanese techs were fascinated by the bike, saying that they had never seen this model in Japan before...LOL

Here is my 1976 Suzuki RE-5A after sitting for a few years, right before I sold to a chap in England who wanted one for a full museum restoration.