Author Topic: Amber running lights?  (Read 11637 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: Amber running lights?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »
It's also possible that it WAS flashing fast and I just didn't recognize it at the time  :-X At least so my son says, it is flashing faster than normal, I will have to re-check when I get home  ;)
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »
I've always replaced the sockets with sockets for an 1157 bulb.
Installed sockets, wired it up and I was done.
Never been hassled about the amber lights on the rear.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 08:14:28 PM »
No amber, but I think I'm pretty visible.

pic below

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »
I've done the 1157 socket conversion on all of my previous bikes, I wanted to give the relay conversion a try. The single element 1156's are brighter as running lights, and it's less mechanically involved to do the relay conversion, but obviously a bit more electrically complicated (but not terribly).  Now I do need to buy an electronic or "LED compatible" flasher to go along with the conversion to get the flash rate correct, but they are available for about $25 shipped. I have and enjoy the Buck's Tail Brights as well, one can never have too much visibility! Also have a few extra LED's and marker and brake lights wired into the Givi box. I did check on the Nighthawk, and for some reason I was right, the flash rate is correct. Jon may be right, in the bike's nearly 20 years the flasher may have been upgraded to an electronic one.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Smooooth

• Syracuse, NY
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »
Video does not show - but the Running Lights' in the rear blinker are actually Red - using the LED Rings mentioned above.  Plus I added the Brake Light Pulser to the mix.  Very Effective.

Stephen
97 C10
73 Honda CT70

73"s de WA2FDU

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »
Now I do need to buy an electronic or "LED compatible" flasher to go along with the conversion to get the flash rate correct, but they are available for about $25 shipped.
$13 at superbrightleds.com  Shipping shouldn't add too much to that.  Even cheaper on ebay.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »
$13 at superbrightleds.com  Shipping shouldn't add too much to that.  Even cheaper on ebay.

I saw those, but the flasher on the CTX is a 4 wire, no go with the universal replacements. It took some research, but we found the LED compatible version of the stock flasher, same case, pinout and mounting, so we went with that. Kathy had her first ride, other than an 8 mile test ride, on the CTX today. All is good, she is a happy camper. Set for 400+ miles tomorrow, we want seafood so it's off to the coast for lunch/dinner and back home!
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 05:09:02 AM »
I saw those, but the flasher on the CTX is a 4 wire, no go with the universal replacements. It took some research, but we found the LED compatible version of the stock flasher, same case, pinout and mounting, so we went with that. Kathy had her first ride, other than an 8 mile test ride, on the CTX today. All is good, she is a happy camper. Set for 400+ miles tomorrow, we want seafood so it's off to the coast for lunch/dinner and back home!
I'm still staring out the window at 6"~9" of leftover snow.  And temps too near freezing to risk taking the bike out.  (Not to mention the sheet of ice that's still in front of my garage...)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 06:50:17 AM »
I'm still staring out the window at 6"~9" of leftover snow.  And temps too near freezing to risk taking the bike out.  (Not to mention the sheet of ice that's still in front of my garage...)

We have been hearing that Old Man Winter just won't rest up there. Our daughter is here with us this week on Spring Break from school in Syracuse, so walking the beach barefoot yesterday was a definite treat for her! You're welcome to join us on the BRP at the end of April to celebrate Kathy's birthday if you have the time! I know you have a trailer, bring the bike!
COG 9331

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 08:17:14 AM »
Smooth. that looks great.
Like the effect with the brake lights.

Ride safe, Ted

enim57

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »
Video does not show - but the Running Lights' in the rear blinker are actually Red - using the LED Rings mentioned above.  Plus I added the Brake Light Pulser to the mix.  Very Effective.

Stephen
I have the same, very effective is an accurate description. Here in Oz red rear running and brake lights are legal but the flashing mode is not.

Regards, Russell

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 12:27:07 PM »
What about running some bright 12v LEDs into the same housing with the bulb, then making them attach to the license plate running light or tail light. Then way they will be redish-amber until you switch on the turn signal and should blink significantly brighter than the LEDs to indicate your turn.

I have been thinking about this since two bikes ago.
The LEDs are small and already have a built in Diod to handle the direct 12v
They would be hotglued to the rear of the reflector inside directly behind the bulb and the wires being really thin would follow down the same tube as the existing wiring and tapped in.
And I wanted to find out the viability of such an endeavor.

edit for link: http://www.amazon.com/Qty-Lights--wired-volt-leds-/dp/B007O1X12C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426535350&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+led+red
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 01:50:34 PM by Engraverwilliam »
William Evans
2001 Kawasaki zg1000 Concours - Age 45 , Los Angeles, CA

Offline CoffeeRider

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
My solutions was to attach two red led strip lights (mine are SOMA [stay off my a__] to the turn signal stalks. The lights I got were dual brightness lights and attach to the tail and stop lamps. They run at standard brightness all the time and get very bright when the brakes are applied. Very attention getting along with my brake light modulator in the regular brake light. Between the reflective tape on my bags, the brake light and the led's, if you don't see me, you ARE blind!  :o
2002 Concours (It's not grey, it's SilverDammit)
Targa windshield, Fender extender, Murph's knee savers, bar risers, Optronix driving lights, Garmin Quest GPS, hyperlights, Back off stop light flasher, backrest extender