Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303733 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #540 on: January 15, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
I've only got past the first episode..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #541 on: January 15, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »
I watched that series too- it started out OK, then basically went downhill (like so very many TV shows do) but sorta' revived itself with the twist (the other film) in the last episode. This is  a significant departure from P.K. Dick's novel and may well go to an interesting place. ?? Will absolutely watch at least the beginning of next season.

As an aside, Philip K. Dick's writings were on the odd side but could be brilliant IMO. What I find amusing is that he usually chose unusual and somewhat odd titles for his books that usually have to be altered when they are turned into movies; I think this causes his work to be much less known that it could or should be. Examples:

'Do androids dream of electric sheep' was made into a movie but titled 'Blade Runner', and 'We can remember it for you wholesale' became 'Total Recall'. But he was a pretty prolific writer and absolutely had talent, at least IMO. By the way, as he died when he was fairly young at 53, he also squeezed a pretty significant writing into a fairly short time.

Brian

Finished Man in the  High Castle.....pretty good so far.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #542 on: January 19, 2016, 07:02:00 AM »
Watched "13 Hours: the secret soldiers of Benghazi" this weekend. Excellent and intense. But everyone, including myself, left the theater pissed off.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #543 on: January 19, 2016, 08:23:53 AM »
We finished up season 4 of Breaking Bad and got started on season 5.

Spoiler alert! Don't read the next sentence if you haven't seen Gus get his...

Holy **** did Gus get his comeuppance! dingdingdingding BOOM!    :o
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:42:51 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #544 on: January 19, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »
Come on, you just watched BB, maybe not spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #545 on: January 19, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »
Come on, you just watched BB, maybe not spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet?

Sorry bout that. But it's not like everyone doesn't know that something bad will happen to Gus right?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #546 on: January 19, 2016, 10:13:08 AM »
A web presentation on IBM system security..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #547 on: January 19, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
The stock market, as my investments tank.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #548 on: January 19, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
There are two things that you may like but you absolutely do not want to see being made: laws and sausages. Lately, add the markets to that list....

Brian

The stock market, as my investments tank.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #549 on: January 19, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
Yep, outstanding episode with Walt saying "I won.".  It gets even better, with the last episode perhaps being the best of them all, although there is no humor in that one (I always thought that this series was 3/4 'black comedy').

And by the way, did you recognize Mr. Salamanca (sp?) as the bad guy in Columbia in the movie Scarface? Again, a Spanish- speaking character which is interesting because the actor, Mark Margolis, is American born of Jewish ethnicity..... who does not speak Spanish as far as I know.

Brian

We finished up season 4 of Breaking Bad and got started on season 5.

Spoiler alert! Don't read the next sentence if you haven't seen Gus get his...

Holy **** did Gus get his comeuppance! dingdingdingding BOOM!    :o

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #550 on: January 20, 2016, 12:47:05 AM »
There are two things that you may like but you absolutely do not want to see being made: laws and sausages. Lately, add the markets to that list....

Brian
As they say at the Valleydale packing plant "They don't lose nothing but the squeal"
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline Conrad

« Reply #551 on: January 20, 2016, 04:55:03 AM »
Yep, outstanding episode with Walt saying "I won.".  It gets even better, with the last episode perhaps being the best of them all, although there is no humor in that one (I always thought that this series was 3/4 'black comedy').

And by the way, did you recognize Mr. Salamanca (sp?) as the bad guy in Columbia in the movie Scarface? Again, a Spanish- speaking character which is interesting because the actor, Mark Margolis, is American born of Jewish ethnicity..... who does not speak Spanish as far as I know.

Brian

Some of the best TV ever made.    :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #552 on: January 23, 2016, 07:07:46 AM »
We watched the last episode of Breaking Bad yesterday.

:thumbs:   :thumbs:   :thumbs:   :thumbs:   :thumbs:

I rate this series right up there with The Sopranos!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #553 on: January 23, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »
Fantastic episode, wasn't it?

Spoilers follow- do not read if you do not want to know how it turns out:

The ending reminded me of the part of the Odyssey about Odysseus locking the great hall room and 'then he slew them all'. It goes all the way back to the roots of western civilization. The other really slick thing about the ending is that Walter White ends up beating cancer (sort of, kind of), not committing suicide, not getting killed by anyone or group opposing him, basically 'winning' against his final and complete group of opponents, and ending up doing exactly what he set out to do, leave his family well provided for. It really could have been titled 'Tonight, I took care of all family business.' but I think W.W. did it in a much more personal, 'slicker' way. Again, outstanding series, great actors and characters and a fantastic ending IMO. I cannot think of anything that could be changed to make it better; a few loose ends could have been tied up but hey, Walt was not trying to fix the entire universe, just control his modest piece of it....

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #554 on: January 23, 2016, 09:14:19 AM »
And by the way, I think Mark Margolis (Hector Salamanca (sp?)) was probably the most stand- out character of an outstanding cast because he never spoke a word yet conveyed his thoughts very well. I loved the look on his face when the nurse asked him "Mr. Salamanca, do you have to go poopey? Did you already go poopey?"  Nothing but pure contempt on his face. And like I said, a lot of the series was really a black comedy IMO anyway.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #555 on: January 23, 2016, 10:06:53 AM »
Fantastic episode, wasn't it?

Spoilers follow- do not read if you do not want to know how it turns out:

The ending reminded me of the part of the Odyssey about Odysseus locking the great hall room and 'then he slew them all'. It goes all the way back to the roots of western civilization. The other really slick thing about the ending is that Walter White ends up beating cancer (sort of, kind of), not committing suicide, not getting killed by anyone or group opposing him, basically 'winning' against his final and complete group of opponents, and ending up doing exactly what he set out to do, leave his family well provided for. It really could have been titled 'Tonight, I took care of all family business.' but I think W.W. did it in a much more personal, 'slicker' way. Again, outstanding series, great actors and characters and a fantastic ending IMO. I cannot think of anything that could be changed to make it better; a few loose ends could have been tied up but hey, Walt was not trying to fix the entire universe, just control his modest piece of it....

Brian

You're right, Brian. The series was perfect. I was kinda sad to see it end.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #556 on: January 23, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
At least there are other very good series out there now. What I like to think of as 'designer TV': not the old, main- stream networks but the smaller, private networks all the way down to now include Netflix, Amazon, etc. While these series are usually short (few episodes per season), some are really very good or even excellent IMO and offer a great alternative to the 99% of garbage that is most of what makes up 'TV viewing'. Series like Fargo (excellent, especially the first year), True Detective (again, first year especially) The Killing (very good) and so on.

IMO, TV has always been terrible: when I was a kid, Gilligan's Island, Batman and about a gazillion other, truly terrible TV shows were all we had and that was at least 99% of all that was available. There were three networks and the occasional UHF local station and there were all our choices: terrible show on network1, terrible show on network2 and network3, or an ancient repeat of a Three Stooges short on the UHF channel. Today we have dozens of networks and additional pathways to stream video data..... and I believe it is now 99.8% garbage. Lots more TV, lots more garbage. But here and there, a decent or even excellent show or series shows up, usually from a specialty source rather than one of the main networks. So those few shows, coupled with the ease of digital recording, storing and time- shifting (and all of it in HD, which is also great IMO), at least provide the possibility to watch something decent.

Not that there is anything wrong with the occasional, mind- numbing, 'jiggle' show but really, how many hours can one watch the same..... jiggle?

Brian

You're right, Brian. The series was perfect. I was kinda sad to see it end.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #557 on: January 23, 2016, 11:47:47 AM »

Not that there is anything wrong with the occasional, mind- numbing, 'jiggle' show but really, how many hours can one watch the same..... jiggle?

Brian

I agree 100 percent. Also, there is a huge (no pun intended) difference between bad jiggle ( Mike and Molly) and good jiggle (Marreid with Children). Just sayin'..
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #558 on: January 23, 2016, 12:21:05 PM »
Ah but Married with Children was really a very intelligent show wrapped in a blanket of idiocy. Same thing with The Simpsons back in the early days- lots of creative writing in both mixed into what otherwise would have been the usual sitcom time- killers. My all time favorite line from Married with Children was when Jefferson was reflecting on [not having] sex with Marcy because she was pregnant: he said 'Making love with your pregnant wife is like putting gas in a car you've already wrecked.'. Politically incorrect beyond all belief but also made me laugh until my eyes watered. And the first year MWC was on, the ratings were in the tank and it was about be cancelled when a woman started a campaign to have the show removed because it was too crude and vulgar; the publicity actually got people to watch the show to see how bad it was, the ratings skyrocketed and the series lasted 10 years. As I remember, what she specifically objected to was a joke that Al made: "How are women like dog droppings? The older they are, the easier they are to pick up.". Again, politically incorrect, crude, vulgar but in its own way, hysterical, at least to enough of Americans to float the show for a decade.

Brian

I agree 100 percent. Also, there is a huge (no pun intended) difference between bad jiggle ( Mike and Molly) and good jiggle (Marreid with Children). Just sayin'..

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #559 on: January 23, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
I believe that a lot of great humor is lost on the masses. Boston Legal is a fine example. Shatner and Spader were BRILLIANT in that series. Much of Jack Sparrow's dialogue is also comic genius. Firefly also had more than a fair amount of too.

Most entertainment is geared to the lowest common denominator, much like the current educational system.