Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 302977 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #580 on: January 31, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
You can get that here for free.

And it's easily worth twice that price!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #581 on: February 01, 2016, 05:05:10 AM »
Watched The Imitation Game yesterday. Well done and VERY interesting.  :thumbs:

During World War II, mathematician Alan Turing tries to crack the enigma code with help from fellow mathematicians.

Based on the real life story of legendary cryptanalyst Alan Turing, the film portrays the nail-biting race against time by Turing and his brilliant team of code-breakers at Britain's top-secret Government Code and Cypher School at Bletchley Park, during the darkest days of World War II.

It's estimated that Turing and his team saved 14 MILLION lives and shortened the war by two years.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #582 on: February 08, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
Watched 'Judge' yesterday. Not a bad movie but not Duvall's best either IMO. More of a 'heart string tugger'; the females seem to LOVE it.

Mixed blessing seeing Robert Duvall this old: it is sad to see him age of course but then again, he is absolutely 'all there' and still an imposing presence at somewhere around 85 yrs.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #583 on: February 08, 2016, 12:23:04 PM »
Yep, the whole story of Enigma is fascinating IMO. One important thing that is sort of historically forgotten though is that the Brits never broke the full four- rotor Enigma code. They broke the three- rotor code but not the four- rotor; really it was a matter of computing power available at that time more than anything else. Well, that and the Enigma system was extremely clever in the first place :-)

Brian

Watched The Imitation Game yesterday. Well done and VERY interesting.  :thumbs:

During World War II, mathematician Alan Turing tries to crack the enigma code with help from fellow mathematicians.

Based on the real life story of legendary cryptanalyst Alan Turing, the film portrays the nail-biting race against time by Turing and his brilliant team of code-breakers at Britain's top-secret Government Code and Cypher School at Bletchley Park, during the darkest days of World War II.

It's estimated that Turing and his team saved 14 MILLION lives and shortened the war by two years.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #584 on: February 08, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
Yep, the whole story of Enigma is fascinating IMO. One important thing that is sort of historically forgotten though is that the Brits never broke the full four- rotor Enigma code. They broke the three- rotor code but not the four- rotor; really it was a matter of computing power available at that time more than anything else.

And now you're cell phone has 10x the computing power.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #585 on: February 08, 2016, 12:37:09 PM »
Yep, and they were using analog computers- amazing it worked as well as it did.

Well, maybe not MY cell phone- I am living in the dark ages with an old, non- smart, flip- phone. Up until a couple of months ago was running XP too- moved to a new computer, i7 at 4 GHz, 16 Gig of 2,333 MHz ram and a fairly fast graphics card.... it is a snappy little box (Easy Boys!). Also upgraded to a current version of Solidworks and I have to say, while Solidworks is bigger and more bloated than ever before, the new hardware easily overcomes the bloat of the modeling package- this thing is very noticeably faster given large models (anything with 500 assemblies or more). And it seems to use about 1% of the power of the last box- no heat pipe, only a small heat sink and a small, low- speed fan.... More flops, less watts- good stuff.

Brian

And now you're cell phone has 10x the computing power.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #586 on: February 08, 2016, 02:08:06 PM »
The People vs. OJ.
Amazing.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #587 on: February 08, 2016, 02:09:40 PM »
Amazing.... good? Or Amazing..... bad? So is it worth watching?

My son was telling me that that is another anthology series that is supposed to follow a different, famous crime each season.

Brian

The People vs. OJ.
Amazing.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #588 on: February 08, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »
Amazing great. Fascinating.
The other American Crime seasons are good but not great.
The OJ one is really excellent.
I'm even more amazed he did not convicted.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #589 on: February 08, 2016, 02:59:08 PM »
Great- I did not even know there had been other seasons. Time to catch up on some TV time wastin'!

Brian

Amazing great. Fascinating.
The other American Crime seasons are good but not great.
The OJ one is really excellent.
I'm even more amazed he did not convicted.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #590 on: February 08, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
It could be these aren't related.
One is called "American Crime" which is about a MALE teenager at a private school who gets raped at a party.
then this is called The People vs OJ Simpson "American Crime Story"

I'm guessing the name similarities is a coincidence.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #591 on: February 08, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »
Just binge watched the first season of "Better Call Saul". I loved it. If you liked "Breaking Bad", you will like this show.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #592 on: February 08, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »
"It's All Good Man" is awesome.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #593 on: February 08, 2016, 03:49:57 PM »
I just looked:

American Crime Story is new this year, and the first season deals with the Nicole Brown / Ronald Goldman murders. The whole season will be about this subject. Next year will be another complete season but about a different subject, specifically following six to eight involved in Hurricane Katrina (not sure if it will be criminally based but the title of the series sure does invite that thought??).

Brian

It could be these aren't related.
One is called "American Crime" which is about a MALE teenager at a private school who gets raped at a party.
then this is called The People vs OJ Simpson "American Crime Story"

I'm guessing the name similarities is a coincidence.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #594 on: February 08, 2016, 04:05:26 PM »
Next year will be another complete season but about a different subject, specifically following six to eight involved in Hurricane Katrina (not sure if it will be criminally based but the title of the series sure does invite that thought??).

I bet this will be those elderly people in the nursing home that were abandoned by their caregivers.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #595 on: February 08, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »
Not sure but I did see mention of 'events' that happened in the Super Dome as well as people having to wear plastic bags for clothing. It very well could be a media 'chop job'.

A little OFFTOPIC: there was a young couple from RI who happen to get stuck in New Orleans during and after Katrina. They started off heading to the Super Dome because they had heard people were gathering there but several groups of locals suggested that they really did not want to go there. They wrote the story about the nine days it took them to get home as a story in the local paper.... and were careful to emphasize they were tankful they did not go to the Super Dome as originally planned.

Brian

I bet this will be those elderly people in the nursing home that were abandoned by their caregivers.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #596 on: February 22, 2016, 10:04:15 PM »
SO WE TOTALLY DITCHED tIME wARNER cABLE,
Which we had because of a bundle since our move in 2011/12
It just became too expensive... it went from tv, phone, 30mb internet connection @ 489 A MONTHE, TO $163 Q MONTH, THAN TO $ 188.
 enough is enough, so we ditched, and went back to ATT bundle on Direct Tv, at 6 mb internet, and when all was done have faster net connection, and almost as many channels, and a $58 payment for a year... meh, I'll switch again when THEY start screwing us..
nonetheless, been watching Youtube on the big screen, and can't complain, actually better picture and connection, and tru HD

you want some real fun
google him and "small change"

oh yeah, that's next, just didin't want to break my link right now, to share it...

http://youtu.be/lndL46jiEFQ

great night...
 man, really great
it gets better and better

been a fan since watching him in 1974 live in Cleveland... witch can be found online...
when you watch it... I'm sitting upfront, smokin' one, and yelling...
what a performer.
lot'sa people don't understand my pen name' or association with old music, that's fine, but I do have an agenda and feeling for this stuff..
when listening to this you may understand it, or not.

but I can say, music has many faces, and these are good ones.
enjoy.

http://youtu.be/ghD39l-_4zY

this song was the one that woke me up to him back in 1974, I know that this man's music is older than a lot of people here, that may watch it... and that is good, it can open eyes and minds.
http://youtu.be/BPPtrqvHGEg

hard this live, with some of the above, here in Cleveland...
http://youtu.be/4R_uMVmv6os

he smokes my brand...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:03:22 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #597 on: February 22, 2016, 11:28:09 PM »
sunday morning, a little snack
http://youtu.be/1wfamPW3Eaw

back in the 70's there was a lot of interesting stuff...

http://youtu.be/cQufirEduXk
http://youtu.be/RbBUTxBwEEo

http://youtu.be/jGUW0uAwDyw?list=PLxvBI4CNRtMCfv7e3uZGgOT7aIfNu-kOY

http://youtu.be/_bOjrl9Qxzg

http://youtu.be/TEUmNLGOpm0

some of you old fartz will actually remember this dude.. 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #598 on: February 23, 2016, 08:42:57 AM »
Don't we already have a music thread?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #599 on: February 23, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »
Don't we have an 'answer a question with a question' thread?