Author Topic: Inexpensive Helmet Lock  (Read 6235 times)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Inexpensive Helmet Lock
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »
I came across this info and found it to be practical.   I understand out bag handles are different but the same idea could be implemented.

http://www.skene.org/K1200RS/helmet-lock-2/index-helmet-lock-2.htm

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Inexpensive Helmet Lock
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
I came across this info and found it to be practical.   I understand our bag handles are different but the same idea could be implemented.

That is, assuming there is clearance under the folded-down handle for two relatively thick cables.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
But the bags come off if not drilled or have added brackets...  ???   ;)

Here kitty kitty kitty...    :stirpot:

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »
Yea, Max you are probably correct.  I just use a cable and lock run through the support rails. 

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »
Before I purchased my Projekt D helmet lock, I made something similar using plastic coated cable from Home Depot. Mine was longer and had loops on each end so that I could lasso my helmet or jacket sleeve and secure it using the locking mechanism on the seat.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:23:46 AM »
i almost always have my helmet sitting on the rear rack when parked, chin strap through the slots. i have a cable lock that i can use through the rack to secure it, works well.i also use my side case for my helmet when at work.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 06:51:59 AM »
This is what I used. It has a small lock that goes on the top also.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Joncon11

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »
I am a huge fan of the Projekt D helmet lock, simple, effective design. The only problem is the wife always wants to lock HER helmet on the second lock...geez, get your own helmet lock!  ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
I am a huge fan of the Projekt D helmet lock, simple, effective design.

+1
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »

Offline udoggie

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »
I know a bunch of guys that use the free gun cable locks to fasten their helmet to their motorcycles.

Cheap, and keeps helmets from walking away, at least to keep the honest people honest.

UD
Aloha, OR.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »
I know a bunch of guys that use the free gun cable locks to fasten their helmet to their motorcycles.

Cheap, and keeps helmets from walking away, at least to keep the honest people honest.

Indeed.  I used a few gun cable locks for years to secure bags and even my jacket at times.  But I have so many better options :)

Offline udoggie

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 07:56:03 AM »
Indeed.  I used a few gun cable locks for years to secure bags and even my jacket at times.  But I have so many better options :)

But in case they're paying attention (no guarantee on that for sure!) maybe they'll wonder just where the firearm is that the cable lock came with...  :cannon:

UD
Aloha, OR.

Offline robert.h.weinstein

Helmet Lock
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
http://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_Helmet_Locks_p/c14-10.htm

http://advancedsporttouring.com/v/vspfiles/instructions/Helmet%20Lock%20Install%20Instructions.pdf

Bolts into the rack bolts, nice n clean

Key blanks for more keys can be purchased at any key cutting place near you.

See attachment for pic

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
Interesting.   Looks a lot like the ProjekD locks, but without the reenforced plate between them. 

I love my ProjektD locks.. or should I say +4?  I only use them as a convenience lock, like if I'm running into a store or having breakfast on the patio of a restaurant or the like, because I just don't trust people that far.  It's more of a "I want to not have to deal with my helmet or worry about it hitting the ground for a while" thing for me.  If I want security, I'll put on the bags.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Helmet Lock
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »
http://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_Helmet_Locks_p/c14-10.htm

http://advancedsporttouring.com/v/vspfiles/instructions/Helmet%20Lock%20Install%20Instructions.pdf

Bolts into the rack bolts, nice n clean

Key blanks for more keys can be purchased at any key cutting place near you.

Freaky- those look identical to the ProjektD locks, but with more finniky mounting.  I think for the same price, I would get the ProjektD ones.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 03:01:16 PM »
It's more of a "I want to not have to deal with my helmet or worry about it hitting the ground for a while" thing for me.  If I want security, I'll put on the bags.

I will hang the helmet on the hook, even if I am not locking it- that way there is no way it will accidentally fall off the bike (yes, I have done that before).  For any non-local trip, I wouldn't have any room in the bags for the helmet anyway (a helmet will consume 100% of one side-bag).

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »
I will hang the helmet on the hook, even if I am not locking it- that way there is no way it will accidentally fall off the bike (yes, I have done that before).  For any non-local trip, I wouldn't have any room in the bags for the helmet anyway (a helmet will consume 100% of one side-bag).

I don't disagree....if I'm on a non-local trip, the helmet can come in with me...hotel, restaurant...  For local trips where the bike may sit unattended for some time, like going to a movie, it will live in a bag.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384