Author Topic: Calling all Tank Bag owners, looking for advice and photos.  (Read 31097 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Looking for advice on Tank Bags
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 02:28:30 PM »

Its textured but soft.

Thanks, I think I just might finally order one of these.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »
I have this Rapid Transit tank bag.  I only use it on trips.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/3414/ITEM/Rapid-Transit-Recon-19-Magnetic-Tank-Bag.aspx

Joe, how are the magnets?  Does it stay in place well?  Is the bottom soft preventing scratching? I have the Tech Spec pads and need a bag with higher up magnets like the Recon. Thanks!

Offline CrashGordon

Re: Calling all Tank Bag owners, looking for advice and photos.
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »
I have a Cortech Super mini that I use for commuting every day and it works fine.  No problem with the magnets and the glove box and the bag does not get in the way. I've been using that bag for commuting for seven years and it's still in good shape. Rain cover works great, too.

I have one of Cycle Gear's house brand bags for trips.  It's a lot larger, but the quality isn't as nice.  I've only had it for a year, but it's worked OK. The rain cover doesn't fit very snug, though.

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »
The magnetic or strap connected?

Magnetic.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »
I've been using the Tank Locker from luggagelocker.com for almost 5 years and am quite happy with it.  So much so that I have 2 of them. :)

I also have a Cortech Mini/SuperMini (?) magnetic bag that has also been a quality product.

I'd buy either again if needed, but would get the Tank Locker first.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:24 PM »
I have a Cortech mini as well the magnets do not hit well with the '08-'09 center glove box. To fix that I got a small bungie that I wrap around the handle and secure both ends to my Techmount. Without that line, the mini likes to fall off during wheelies. ;)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
Joe, how are the magnets?  Does it stay in place well?  Is the bottom soft preventing scratching? I have the Tech Spec pads and need a bag with higher up magnets like the Recon. Thanks!

The magnets are great, even the rear magnet that rests on the Tech Spec tank protector holds on through the snakeskin pad.  I am very careful to keep the tank waxed and don't set the tank bag on the ground where it could pick up dirt or gravel.  I also check the bottom of the bag for any foreign objects before I put it on the tank.  It never has slipped even at speeds up to 80mph, also no problems in the twisties.

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 07:09:51 PM »
I use a Nelson-Rigg Silverstreak tankbag. Had to sew up the front mounting legs, so the bag didn't sit soo low on the tank. Worked out pretty good, Im happy with it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:00:32 PM by CADMAN97 »
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline booger

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »
On my ZX-10R I used the Bags Connect "Daytrip II) with the quick lock.  Sure was a sweet set up.  It would probably look to small on a C14

Offline mikerose

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 01:29:37 PM »
I use a Tour Master TB-12 Magnetic Tank Bag works Great.  I have had it for 5 years used it on my ZZR1200 48,000 miles now on the C14 62,000 miles. I just got a spare from MotorcycleGear.com
IBA 77103
2015 C14 06/20/2015
2008 C14 133,xxx  SOLD
https://youtu.be/MbZMlTk0SZs

Bob

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
I use the trial ql when going on longer trips and the recon 19 for shorter trips but am also looking for a smaller one for around home way.

I just got one of these and I'm going to sell it and get the smaller version. I don't know what I was thinking. I don't like big tank bags. And this bag is too big for me. So if anyone is interested in a Bags Connection Trial QL. Give me a yell. I'll save you some money over buying new from Twisted Throttle. You will need the gas tank ring. I don't have the Kawasaki ring! It's pretty much brand new.

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »
I love my ROADGEAR Magnetic Compact Tank Bag. Very similar to the Cortech Mini. Good size for the C-14, fits great on the tank and lifts off easy when refueling.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 06:54:03 PM »
I love my ROADGEAR Magnetic Compact Tank Bag. Very similar to the Cortech Mini. Good size for the C-14, fits great on the tank and lifts off easy when refueling.

I like that bag, do you have any photos on the bike? tks

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
Well I decided on a Chase Harper 650.  I found a great deal on Ebay for 59.00 new with free shipping so I gave it a shot.  The map pocket attaches to the top when desired but I will probably just keep it inside and pull it out when I need to take a look on a break.  The storage is great and it is not too big.  Here are some photos:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »
That's a good looking bag Alpha.  :thumbs:

Does that one by chance come with the straps and mount points to attach and use as a backpack??

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »

sorry, just had to do a shameless ADV tag shot and salute from my Missus...but the bag is in the shot....(so is my wife....don't go there....)

love the bag......been all over the durned place

http://roadgear.com//three-point-jumbo-sport-tank-p-78.html?osCsid=16aaf7f4bc7bb4eda32cb7018b2dd54a

Jumbo....with rain cover.....
Roadgear products are well thought out, and the owner is very in tune with customers and feedback.

this bag is a super nice one, had it on my old "Touch Of Gray" C10, and it adapts well to the C14.
the straps have "fastex" buckles, and are robust, I use one in the rear, and one each side up front, attaching the front straps to the bolts on the "snorkles" either side of the airbox, and the rear I slipped tie wraps over both prongs on the gastank-to-seat mount, and ran the strap in a triangle thru them and back up to the bag.
The bottom is nubbly-rubber coated, and has never stained or scratched my tank, no worries about magnetic erasures of anything I stick in the bag, it removes easily, and fits a side bag for lockup when so desired. It has an invisible expansion zone, that will allor another 4 inches or so, and you can fit a 12 pack of longnecks in it if you need to. The map pocket is removable, and has compartments below it, along with zippered side pockets(invisible) which house the rain cover, and stuff like your kickstand plate and little bungies...
I haven't found a bag that is more compact and utilitarian, GBYII gave me his old one which I ran for years, and finally popped the bucks for this one...it's 6 years old now, and I figure will work for another 5 years...

http://roadgear.com//luggage-c-23.html

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
That's a good looking bag Alpha.  :thumbs:

Does that one by chance come with the straps and mount points to attach and use as a backpack??

Yes, the straps are contained in the small pouch closest to the seat.  Took me a second to figure them out.

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
luggage locker
Didn't want staps or magnetic
 long term test works well and no issues
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
Well I decided on a Chase Harper 650.  I found a great deal on Ebay for 59.00 new with free shipping so I gave it a shot.  The map pocket attaches to the top when desired but I will probably just keep it inside and pull it out when I need to take a look on a break.  The storage is great and it is not too big. 
You got a great deal.  All I find is about 87.00.
I like this one too.  got a pic with the map pocket?

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »
You got a great deal.  All I find is about 87.00.
I like this one too.  got a pic with the map pocket?

I can take a shot tomorrow and update.

Still on my list of to do's
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:49:24 PM by 556ALPHA »