Author Topic: Definitely getting a radiator guard  (Read 8442 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Definitely getting a radiator guard
« on: July 06, 2016, 11:15:45 AM »
Went on a 4900 mile trip from Peoria IL to the west and back. In Afton WY, a friend on a Multistrada took a rock to several location on his radiator and developed a couple leaks.  Believe it or not, StopLeak fixed it and he finished the trip and rode all the way home to Greenville SC.   Their radiators are much more exposed than a C14 but it's still a big deal if you puncture a radiator, we thought it might end his trip.

A guard will be ordered post haste!  I want one on before we go to Maine next month.

I lost an HID headlight on the road and was concerned about my Pirelli Angel GTs that were new when we started but they held up well and probably have a max of 1000 miles left.  My other friend with a Multistrada (yes, there were 2, 2 C14s and a BMW RT1200 also) replaced a chain on the road, then that chain died and he got another one, then got a flat he could repair and had to put the bike in a rented truck the last 500 miles.  And no, that wasn't cheap.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Definitely getting a radiator guard
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »
Get a front fender extender as well...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 01:21:02 PM »
+1 to extender. I just pulled my plastics for a project and noticed all kinds of tar and road grime built up on the front pop rivets that join the left and right fairings together. And a little bit under the extender, but nowhere else on the bike. Also running a Cox guard. Some big horseflies piled up in there right now.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:30:23 PM »
I ordered a radiator guard and a fender extender. I am in no way a mechanic but I didnt like the way the radiator guard installed. One bolt, zip ties and foam rubber. i just dont think it a solid install. there is a lot of heat down there! I kept the extender, going to go just that.
Being politically correct, isn't politically correct.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:16:54 PM »
I don't think I've heard of one falling off.  Mine certainly hasn't.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »
Yeah; I would go back with the rad guard and not sweat the installation. That's just how it installs and it's worth it. I don't even do the zip ties at the top. At least with the Cox, once you bolt it in, the edges of the guard press in pretty tight to the edges of the rad. It's not going anywhere.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:48:27 PM »
Yup, my PCA one has two upside down U-clips at the top and the bolt at the bottom. Pretty secure.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 08:30:16 AM »
Took your advice and have ordered the PCA radiator guard. Looks pretty well built. Thanks.
Being politically correct, isn't politically correct.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 06:22:12 PM »
 :chugbeer:

I had to "re-curve" it a little tiny bit, but just a hair. Six months, still in place.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline rrsperry

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »
Just ordered a projekt D guard and fenda extenda.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »
Just ordered a projekt D guard and fenda extenda.

Those were on my ever-long to-do list.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 05:20:04 AM »
Those were on my ever-long to-do list.

Do your brake/clutch fluid flush first.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 06:21:36 AM »
Do your brake/clutch fluid flush first.    ;)

UG!
Yes, I promise that will be first.  It is actually top on the list.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 08:52:17 AM »
If you want to do it yourself (when it's warmer), I can ride down there and assist with it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
If you want to do it yourself (when it's warmer), I can ride down there and assist with it.

That is a very kind offer!  I have a slew of things on my list, including valve check/adjust, cleaning the rotors & bobbins, some headlight wiring fixes, swapping the defective right front turn signal LED bulb, another fluids change, coolant change, lock cleaning,  header bolts check (and other bolts), and it is all piled up waiting for my mechanic friend to finish settling into his new house and get his garage up and running.   I was kinda waiting to do it all at once with him.  The time is really ticking on my tires at this point, but I think that will have to be a dealer thing, anyway, and done sooner.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »
I've heard of 1 guard that is really hard to install.
Whish is it, and which the easiest, and which the best?
Yea, I know there will be lots of opinions...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
The Cox guard was a bit of a pain to install but since it was only one I've installed I have no comparisons. It does work as advertised.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 06:24:08 AM »
Down in the Texas Hill Country, I've seen a rock thrown up that broke the lower fairing on an 08 Connie. We had to pull over and zip tie and tape his bike back together.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 07:01:48 AM »
Down in the Texas Hill Country, I've seen a rock thrown up that broke the lower fairing on an 08 Connie. We had to pull over and zip tie and tape his bike back together.

Was is that little part where the two meet/connect at the bottom right behind the front wheel?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 05:48:54 AM »
I've heard of 1 guard that is really hard to install.
Whish is it, and which the easiest, and which the best?
Yea, I know there will be lots of opinions...

Ride safe, Ted

radiator guards are not like oil, a user usually doesn't have the opportunity to test a few through his life, so it's tough to find somebody who ever compared 2 guards. Furthermore, most bike owners won't ever mount one, and most won't ever have an issue. It's one of those things you wish you had when something happened, which is not often. That said, I have mine from a UK company, was a bliss to install and never had a hole through the radiator. But then again, so what? Maybe I never met a rock, maybe there were trillions and none managed to get through the thing. I haven't seen any trace of big impacts on it when I washed my bike 2 years ago (don't tell Jim).
My advice: mount one, it's going to be a one time job and expense, and forget about it. It will protect your radiator better than no guard, no doubt.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.