Author Topic: How much boot protection?  (Read 11065 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: How much boot protection?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »
+1.  They have that gritty Mad Max look and feel.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 01:59:58 PM »
To bad they don't have replaceable Vibram soles.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
To bad they don't have replaceable Vibram soles.

And that is why I can't use most of the non-traditional-biker boots, I needed something with more [thicker] sole and most anything modern has non-replaceable ones.  (The other reason is that most are not available in EEE or EEEE.)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
I wear Alpinestars SMX 6. They are all day comfy, and give great protection. I feel naked without them.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »
And that is why I can't use most of the non-traditional-biker boots, I needed something with more [thicker] sole and most anything modern has non-replaceable ones.  (The other reason is that most are not available in EEE or EEEE.)

Or in my case.....B width.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 11:00:48 PM »

Yep, that is just about the same situation.   It seems more and more that anything outside the "norm" or the 90 percentile is just not worth the effort for companies to address because it might cost them 1% of their perfectly maximized profits.  Another example- Costco.  They can't be bothered to carry "small" sized clothing, they simply don't bother.  Check it out next time you are there.  Medium, large, XL, and sometimes XXL.  But small?  Hell no.  Not in shirts, jackets, coats, vests, whatever.   And, of course, no pants smaller than 32 (I think it was 32).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2016, 08:37:52 AM »
I broke a bone in my foot during a lowside about 13 years ago. Wearing house slippers of all things. ::)
Needless to say, I only ride in motorcycle boots now.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »

+1

Amazing to me how shoe/boot companies have all decided that D's are "regular" and EE's are "wide". Heaven forbid you have something narrower than that.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »
I think those guys with the wider feet will be happy if they try on the Forma. Lots of room inside with good depth to the toe box and mid foot. They are prettty roomy.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 09:53:55 PM »
I got 8 lbs of metal in my right leg and a plate and 7 screws in the left. I will never again be back in the touring boots I was wearing when the idjut pulled out in front of me. Too much at stake.. I saw they had a shorter pair of these but I am happy to to put them on anytime I go out. Comfy to walk in and comfy and stable to ride in.... 

I love the looks of those boots... the price is something I can't afford, but as I bought boots back in 06, at an awesome deal on closeout.. and was smart enough to buy a second pair as spares when the first ones wore out, I'm set for a while... only wore the second set a dozen times..

Got them on closeout for $79.. yes, that's right.... they are extremely robust, and I trust them a lot....

Can't get them any more, wish they still sold them... awesome boot for $70
I'll get those expendo ones when these wear out...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline qyetman

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 04:00:49 PM »

Notice this boot thread has morphed into a pants thread? Before we get back on topic, I would suggest if one is truly serious about correct fitting pants, one have a custom fitting from the likes of Aerostitch or Dianese (or another high-end manufacturer; these are the only two I've personally seen have traveling fitting shows).

I wear Joe Rocket Atomic and Phoenix two-piece suits. The fit is pretty close for my 6-3/36-inseam. In everyday life, I don't wear and don't like denim jeans; I'm a cotton khaki cargo person. So I don't think I would enjoy riding jeans. I just recently started getting lazy on the pants half of my suits and wearing the jacket only, with ckc's on the bottom, for local riding (within an hour of home). I admit this is probably a bad idea since we all know that local rides tend to produce the most accidents.
For the khaki wearer.
http://www.compacc.com/p/sliders-kevlar-khaki-4-0-riding-pants

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 06:03:34 PM »
That's what I have. Heavier than reg. khaki's but the kevlar seems pretty well placed. The knee pad pockets are a little awkward until you sit on the bike and think, "What would hit first if I go over?" Then they are pretty well in the right places.
2014 C-14 Red