Author Topic: Why so "top heavy"  (Read 5834 times)

Offline KawaC14

Why so "top heavy"
« on: September 27, 2016, 05:47:12 PM »
Reading the post's on this forum it seems there are some full on master Kawasaki Tech's and a lot of folks with a lot of mechanical expertise. I have owned a few other bikes and ridden a lot more. None seem to have as high of a center of gravity as the C14. What about the design of this bike makes it so "tippy"? The design dosent look like it should be. It doesnt have a huge capacity fuel tank. It doesnt look like it would be. In fact, it looks low, lean and mean. Is it the size of the engine vs. a short wheel base? I dont get it. What do you think, or, what do you know about the design that cause's  this? Thanks. :o
Being politically correct, isn't politically correct.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Why so "top heavy"
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:15:41 PM »
Never had an issue with it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »
Boy that was helpful!

Yes, part of the gas tank is under the seat, so that's not it. The engine is really tall in the overall stance and it is a heckuva lump. Look at the naked shot of the bike and you will understand. It's just a heavy bike, but I wouldn't call it tippy.

2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
Somewhere, sometime,  (yeah, that's the one Daddyflip posted) I saw a C-14 with all the body work off. The engine was HUGE and the tank sort of wraps over it and together are probably the problem. Top heavy is also a little subjective and it might be what your mentally comparing it to. I started on a C-10 and that does have a 7.5 gal tank, but weighs less. A Gold wing is quite a bit heavier I think but carries it lower. Otherwise, I don't know, just don't tip it.   :D
2014 C-14 Red

Offline O.C.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 02:52:17 AM »
The 'Adventure' bikes that I have owned (BMW GSA & Yam Super Ten) are the definition of top heavy....so for me its about how a bike feels when I'm riding it and the GTR (C14) feels to have a relatively low CoG  ;)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 03:19:56 AM »
Like others said- the C14 has a huge engine.  16 valve head, variable valve hardware, larger cooling system, etc.  As a sports tourer, it has more dash, all the windscreen hardware/track/motor, larger (but not huge) gas tank, rack stuff on the rear, larger mirrors, hydraulic clutch master, taller/thicker handlebars.  It has a lot of stuff above the "midline", which makes it top-heavy.  When I moved from the ZRX to the C14, it was very obvious how much more top heavy the new bike was.  And just heavier and bigger all over.

It is only a "problem" when moving very slowly, like parking maneuvers (and more problematic for smaller people like me, with short legs).  But once you get moving, that feeling instantly disappears.

And like was also said- "adventure" class bikes are often even worse because they are so far off the ground to make additional clearance.  "Cruisers" are much lower to the ground.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 04:19:07 AM »
Boy that was helpful!

Yes, part of the gas tank is under the seat, so that's not it. The engine is really tall in the overall stance and it is a heckuva lump. Look at the naked shot of the bike and you will understand. It's just a heavy bike, but I wouldn't call it tippy.

You're welcome.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 04:32:24 AM »
The engine is also a structural member. Aka... it's part of the frame, so it has to be able to perform that task as well as being the motor.

So.... what have you got against "Top Heavy"? That's how I like for my Ladies to be!  8)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 05:00:52 AM »
The engine is also a structural member. Aka... it's part of the frame, so it has to be able to perform that task as well as being the motor.

Serves 2x purposes.... :thumbs:

So.... what have you got against "Top Heavy"? That's how I like for my Ladies to be!  8)

O hell YES!!!!   :rotflmao:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »
as the picture from DaddyFlip shows, the frame goes over the engine, not around. That helps to give it a higher cg, but also reduces with, which this bike needs. As everybody pointed out, it's the huge engine what constraints the possibilities to throw beams from steering head to the hardpoints for the rear tetralever. However, as you may have noticed, all that "tippiness" disappears as soon as it gets going. Parking is a bit tricky, though. However, whenever I switch from a BMW K1600 to this Kawasaki, it feels like a liter bike for a while until my senses re-adjust.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 06:11:35 PM »
The ZX14 has the same engine, and it feels nothing like the Connie. I'm not blaming the engine.
I own both bikes. I just threw that in there to make people hella jelly. The only time it's been an issue is with a passenger in a parking lot. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »
I think it's top heavy.  When my foot slipped in the garage on a wet spot, it went over quickly and I was fighting carpal tunnel syndrome at the time and the pain kicked in hard and it was all over. It's an absolute joy when rolling though.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 10:49:10 PM »
The ZX14 has the same engine, and it feels nothing like the Connie. I'm not blaming the engine.
I own both bikes.

That is why I gave examples of things that are not just engine in my post.  The ZX14 is certainly more top-heavy than smaller engine bikes, that is for sure.  But the C14 will be even more so because it has even more stuff above the midline.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 05:24:55 AM »
All bikes are top heavy. It's just that some tops are higher and heavier than others.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline seagiant

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »
All bikes are top heavy. It's just that some tops are higher and heavier than others.

Hi,
        Yep!

I love my "Beast"!!!  :hail: :hail: :hail:

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 10:25:21 AM »
You're welcome.

And the chorus sings,"It's top heavy cuz it's not a Harley. not a Harley, not a Harley......" :rotflmao:
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 05:04:24 PM »
OH MY!!!! Nice pic.
Yeah with all the plastic off I can see why now.....looks like a jet engine with a seat attached!
But she do cruise good. Thanks for the input. :thumbs:
Being politically correct, isn't politically correct.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 05:54:16 PM »
OH MY!!!! Nice pic.

Yep, I have always loved that stripped C14 photo... the Tetra shaft drive system is awesome looking.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »
Yep, I have always loved that stripped C14 photo... the Tetra shaft drive system is awesome looking.

I've always wanted to put a seat pan and forward controls on the nekkid Connie and ride it like a chopper. Can you see it?
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
No.