Author Topic: texting while driving  (Read 18476 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: texting while driving
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 08:03:27 AM »
3 of em yesterday, NOT a record.  Young girls are the absolute worst offenders.

Nah.........all women!!!!! ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 04:27:04 AM »
But that's not my point - of course I would be angered at the texter's stupidity, for not paying attention to driving.  But he could have been reading a comic book, playing Nintendo, reaching for the french fry he dropped while eating, pleasuring himself, etc....

All of which are a bad idea to do while driving and all have probably resulted in fatal accidents at some point in time.  So which one do you pick to start a crusade on?
All of the above!!
Be it texting. eating, or Nintendo, either way it is dangerous, not required for driving, and should be illegal.
'02 C-10

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 06:00:25 AM »
The older wiminz stay on the lipstick/makeup and have for years on their morning commute. Whats the difference?

You seen what they look like without all that s***?  Let them be distracted...........damn 8)
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »
All those things are already illegal. Its called distracted driving. No further laws needed. Just enforce the ones we already have.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 09:26:41 AM »
Yep, there would be quite the number of tickets given out if they enforced what they have on the books, but I think many of the state laws look at this stuff as secondary offenses and not something to cite as a primary cause to pull you over.  I guess they think you haven't killed anyone yet so go on about your business.  We have it as a secondary offense in VA, in other words....text away....  Both my daughters do it and I tell them not to but they don't listen to me.  Both my wife and I don't text.  We have phones that ring with large numbers so we can see to dial.  We're not interested in texting at all.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »
All those things are already illegal. Its called distracted driving. No further laws needed. Just enforce the ones we already have.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
Some of you just dont get the point, and to even think that just as many accidents were occuring only 10 years ago compared to now.........I call total BS!  ::) CELL PHONES..........are a huge public disaster in cars, and a system must be developed to not allow them to "text,  surf the web, or even talk unless linked to a handsfree bluetooth system". Use some common sense guys and gals, cell phones in cars are killing too many people "mostly innocent people" because some dumbass just had to gossip and or text about something that without question could wait until they were home or not driving down the road. I am hating the stupid things more and more each day, and I pray something is done to reduce the ability to use them while driving. It is a total involuntary action for women to talk/text once they get into a vehicle........and women and young girls are by far without a doubt the worst offenders. Most cant drive worth a damn even without a distraction, and cars are nothing less than death machines in the wrong hands.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 02:47:08 PM »
CELL PHONES..........are a huge public disaster in cars, and a system must be developed to not allow them to "text,  surf the web, or even talk unless linked to a handsfree bluetooth system".

There's no reasonable way to make that work.  And even hands-free, distracted driving is an issue.

A few months ago, a guy pulled out in a car in front of my school bus.  He then proceeded to go 25mph in a 55mph zone (yes, slow enough to hold up a school bus) while going through stations on his radio.  (I could see him hitting the buttons and looking at the radio instead of the road)  He crossed over the yellow line several times while I was behind him.  No phone involved, but he very easily could have killed someone coming the opposite direction.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 02:58:24 PM »
There's no reasonable way to make that work.  And even hands-free, distracted driving is an issue.

A few months ago, a guy pulled out in a car in front of my school bus.  He then proceeded to go 25mph in a 55mph zone (yes, slow enough to hold up a school bus) while going through stations on his radio.  (I could see him hitting the buttons and looking at the radio instead of the road)  He crossed over the yellow line several times while I was behind him.  No phone involved, but he very easily could have killed someone coming the opposite direction.

Perfect example of the point I am trying to make............yes there are going to be distracted drivers on the road in one shape or form "there always has been" but cell phones are nothing but pure TNT when added to a car. We have all more than likely goofed with a radio, eating/drinking, "had sexual favors performed  ;) " and who knows what else........but cell phones are typically not a quick lil distraction. I am 40 years old and have been driving plenty long enough to know, that in no way shape or form has there been anything that is creating a bigger dsitraction than cell phones. People can no longer just drive, or maybe be happy with the music they are listening to while driving. The stupid things are simply killing and injuring too many people.......and for what? ::)

And to think the technology and or ability to make cellphones inoperable while moving faster than a specified allowable speed........I dont buy that for 1 second.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »
And to think the technology and or ability to make cellphones inoperable while moving faster than a specified allowable speed........I dont buy that for 1 second.

It's the unintended side effects you are missing.  If a phone can't be operated when moving at a speed faster than x, then the passengers can't use their phones either.  Nor can passengers on a bus.  Or a train.  Or (as technology allows) on an airplane.  Nor can I call 911 to report the drunk driver that I'm following.  (And my passenger couldn't either, for that matter)  Or be on the phone to 911 as I transport my injured child to the hospital.  (I live in an area where this is often quicker than waiting for an ambulance)

And, there are exemptions for emergency services personnel to use cell phones in vehicles.  So there would have to be an override.  And there's no conceivable way that the override procedure would remain a secret for any amount of time.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »
"Cell phone in a car is TNT".
Funny, I drove to work and back today and the phone sat right next to me on the console. Nothing happened. It's not the phone that causes the problem. It's the person using it.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
It's the unintended side effects you are missing.  If a phone can't be operated when moving at a speed faster than x, then the passengers can't use their phones either.  Nor can passengers on a bus.  Or a train.  Or (as technology allows) on an airplane.  Nor can I call 911 to report the drunk driver that I'm following.  (And my passenger couldn't either, for that matter)  Or be on the phone to 911 as I transport my injured child to the hospital.  (I live in an area where this is often quicker than waiting for an ambulance)

And, there are exemptions for emergency services personnel to use cell phones in vehicles.  So there would have to be an override.  And there's no conceivable way that the override procedure would remain a secret for any amount of time.

And how did we all seem to get along just fine without cell phones..........we did get along perfectly fine, which is also a point I am trying to make.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »
"Cell phone in a car is TNT".
Funny, I drove to work and back today and the phone sat right next to me on the console. Nothing happened. It's not the phone that causes the problem. It's the person using it.

I bet you cant drive for **** while you are talking on your phone in the car, but obviously you and others think you can. ::) Like I have said........some of you will never be convinced about the dangers this is creating, not worth trying to convince others about something that should be obvious. I wish you all the best, and hope you and anyone that you love isnt taken away from you due to someone's stupidity when texting/talking while driving.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »
I bet you cant drive for **** while you are talking on your phone in the car, but obviously you and others think you can. ::) Like I have said........some of you will never be convinced about the dangers this is creating, not worth trying to convince others about something that should be obvious. I wish you all the best, and hope you and anyone that you love isnt taken away from you due to someone's stupidity while texting/talking while driving.

Don't think that anyone here has even remotely stated that these such actions are NOT stupid but lets take away your right to conduct business while seated in the back of a taxi, bus, train or plane and I'll bet that you will be one of the first to jump up and down screaming that it's unconstitutional to infringe on your 1st admin rights.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
Don't think that anyone here has even remotely stated that these such actions are NOT stupid but lets take away your right to conduct business while seated in the back of a taxi, bus, train or plane and I'll bet that you will be one of the first to jump up and down screaming that it's unconstitutional to infringe on your 1st admin rights.

I obviously understand how much things have changed in the workforce over the years, but we did all get along just fine without stupid cell phones. I am field service and remember when the only way to be reached was by pager and finding a payphone to talk on. But you know what......that worked just fine. Nothing that we do for a living requires us to be on our phones constantly, and this is especially the case while out in public. We have all become to easily reachable and accessable because of cell phones, hence a very big reason why everyone is so rude and has no patience for anything these days. Instant info, instant access, and one rude ass person after another........I for one dont wanna hear everybodys conversations, nothing is that important which cant wait for a more appropriate time. THE CELL PHONE COMPANIES ARE A HUGE REASON TO BLAME, PACKAGES ARE SO CHEAP NOW FOR ALMOST UNLIMITED EVERYTHING........IT USED TO COST AN ARM AND A LEG FOR CELL PHONE MINUTES. I would rather it go back to that, people would be much more stingy about how they spend their hard earned money on mobile minutes. And guess what........there would be a helluva lot less folks texting and talking all the time too. :thumbs:

I also wont be one of those people jumping up and down screaming because it is unconstitutional to infringe on my 1st admin rights. :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »
Ha! When is the last time you looked for a pay phone? Those suckers are a thing of the past or nearly so.....

The times they be a changing fast, stand still for too long and it will run your azz flat over all the whist texting and making popcorn at the same time.....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »
I obviously understand how much things have changed in the workforce over the years, but we did all get along just fine without stupid cell phones. I am field service and remember when the only way to be reached was by pager and finding a payphone to talk on.

I remember those days as well, Poke.  I didn't think you were that old...  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 04:43:58 AM »
I remember those days as well, Poke.  I didn't think you were that old...  ;)

Yep I recall the pager going off to which one would find a phone and call an answering service who would tell you who called and/or connect you with them.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 05:02:12 AM »
Yep I recall the pager going off to which one would find a phone and call an answering service who would tell you who called and/or connect you with them.

Ah, the good old days when we could actually get things done rather than discuss things on the cell phone. 8)
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 05:09:23 AM »
Ah, the good old days when we could actually get things done rather than discuss things on the cell phone. 8)

What was so good about having to stop what I was doing and find a phone that I could safely use as my boss full well expected that we return calls to customers within a 20 minute time window?
Tony P. Crochet