Author Topic: Onboard computer display mod  (Read 41301 times)

Offline marku8a

Re: Onboard computer display mod
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
Now that I think about it, I would also be interested in using the FTP (Flash to Pass) switch. If someone has details about that Mod, I would appreciate learning about it.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

ang

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »
Wiring done, just deciding on a switch or the flash to pass. Was sweating on attaching the wire to the elect. board on the display, practised a few times on a scrap board on a computer I had lying around, turned out fine.

Offline PH14

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »
You're lucky then, about the switch, not the animals.  I took my switch apart once to grease up the FTP and it hasn't happened since.  My switch had huge blobs of solder.  Whomever put that together knew nothing about soldering.  Probably the same twit that aimed my headlights.

:chugbeer: I had the same guy!

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »
Thank you Lord Frederick III

First thing I did this morning when I read your post was to look through my box of electrical odds and ends to see if I had a momentary push button switch.  I found one and immediately proceeded to follow your excellent instructions to accomplish a task that Kawasaki incorporated in the '10 and later models.  Here's a picture of my solution for a switch location, it's the red button.  There's a lot of room inside the housing where the switch is located.  The switch is from Radio Shack that came in a package of three I bought when I needed one for a hidden garage door opener switch.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »
That's what I'm thinking of doing as well Bud. Do you have to remove the the grips to get to the housing? How are the wires routed from the housing?

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 03:14:53 AM »
That's what I'm thinking of doing as well Bud. Do you have to remove the the grips to get to the housing? How are the wires routed from the housing?

No need to remove the grip.  Simply remove the two screws from the housing and it will split and can be removed from the handlebar.  I used just one wire from the soldered connection on the back of the circuit board to one of the terminals on the switch.  To ground the switch I soldered a very thin copper wire to the switch's other terminal and ran it under a plastic piece inside the other side of the housing where it contacts the handlebar.  This can be better understood when you remove the housing for a visual assessment of my explanation.  There's plenty of room to run the single wire next to the gang of wires where they enter the housing.  If you are unable to decipher my ground wire instructions, let me know and I'll pull it apart, take a picture and post it.  I did it this way because it seemed a waste to run a separate ground wire alongside the other wire to a ground on the frame when the handlebar is right there and is certainly a ground. 

My long departed paternal grandfather who was born in 1871 would surely be aghast if he knew I was sending assistance to an Englishman.  My own father, born in 1910 wouldn't think much of it either.  I'm so damn liberal though, I'd even help an Orangeman.  Strange that both of the aforementioned gentlemen thought of themselves as Irishmen even though they were born in Canada and Chicago respectively.  Neither of them ever set foot on the Emerald Isle either.  I have been there back in the early 60's and shortly after arriving decided that I didn't like it and promptly set sail for England where the girls were prettier and food was better.  Never thought I'd ever praise English cuisine because it's horrible, but it is better than Irish fare.  I, on the other hand, always considered myself an American until some 30-40 years ago when I determined myself to be a citizen of the world.  The advent of the computer has certainly had an influence on this consideration as a perfect example of this is happening right now.  You and I are exchanging information as though we were in adjacent rooms when we're actually a continent and an ocean apart.  Then consider who else is reading this drivel, could be just about anyone, anywhere. 

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 03:29:35 AM »

My long departed paternal grandfather who was born in 1871 would surely be aghast if he knew I was sending assistance to an Englishman.  My own father, born in 1910 wouldn't think much of it either.  I'm so damn liberal though, I'd even help an Orangeman.  Strange that both of the aforementioned gentlemen thought of themselves as Irishmen even though they were born in Canada and Chicago respectively.  Neither of them ever set foot on the Emerald Isle either.  I have been there back in the early 60's and shortly after arriving decided that I didn't like it and promptly set sail for England where the girls were prettier and food was better.  Never thought I'd ever praise English cuisine because it's horrible, but it is better than Irish fare.  I, on the other hand, always considered myself an American until some 30-40 years ago when I determined myself to be a citizen of the world.  The advent of the computer has certainly had an influence on this consideration as a perfect example of this is happening right now.  You and I are exchanging information as though we were in adjacent rooms when we're actually a continent and an ocean apart.  Then consider who else is reading this drivel, could be just about anyone, anywhere.

;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the info, will try when my new switch arrives

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 04:28:19 AM »
My long departed paternal grandfather who was born in 1871 would surely be aghast if he knew I was sending assistance to an Englishman. 

There's more than a few of us around here... ;)

I thought the last time this was posted that a push button switch was mounted in the housing, although my memory fails me for the exact mounting point.  Is the switch weatherproof?

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
This seems like a great mod. Does anyone sell kits, or do we need to get the parts at Radio Shack.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »
There is no 'kit' as such being offered that I'm aware of.  You'd have to source the parts yourself.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
Wow! I have a 2010 so I don't need this mod but what a great write up! Kudos!  :hail:

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
I did a search for a switch for this mod , for me have to be small to fit in the  little project box that i have attached to the bottom of the left switch housing for the auxiliary LED driving lights and also it have to be water proof, did not found any, so i have to use my fabrication skills and make my own switch that is water proof and low profile
Here are some pictures that i have with my cel phone camera, later i will post more pictures taken with a better camera and explanation of the fabrication, the toggle switch in the side is for the lights and the one in front is for the menu change
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:36:16 PM by gildaguz »
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 05:22:10 AM »
Is it possible to install the 10-11 grip housing. That way we could get the OEM switch.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 06:20:33 AM »
Is it possible to install the 10-11 grip housing. That way we could get the OEM switch.
i did search for a used one on EBAY but can't get it,  I thing it should work
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 06:58:10 AM »

I'll let someone with a 2010+ confirm, but doesn't that grip housing also have buttons for the traction control and ABS settings?  Not sure it would work cleanly on an '08-09.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 07:04:17 AM »
I like Bud's approach of mounting the switch in the original switch housing and I found suitable switches at RS, although not labeled water proof. But a question comes up as RS had some momentary swiches available in either "on" or "off". I assumed that we need a switch that is on when pressed  but I guessed wrong as which pack to buy: on when pressed or on when not pressed. The lovely sales girl was no help. She confided that she was "not any good with switches". Before I return and get the other switch pack will someone confirm that we need on when pressed?
Thanks
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 07:27:40 AM »
Before I return and get the other switch pack will someone confirm that we need on when pressed?

You dont want an ON/OFF switch, you want a momentary switch. One that when pressed, does not stay depressed. Think of your "flash to pass" switch.....it is only ON when you have it depressed and when you release, it it is off. That is a momentary switch and what you need for this application as well.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 08:11:53 AM »
I like Bud's approach of mounting the switch in the original switch housing and I found suitable switches at RS, although not labeled water proof. But a question comes up as RS had some momentary swiches available in either "on" or "off". I assumed that we need a switch that is on when pressed  but I guessed wrong as which pack to buy: on when pressed or on when not pressed. The lovely sales girl was no help. She confided that she was "not any good with switches". Before I return and get the other switch pack will someone confirm that we need on when pressed?
Thanks
What you need Lather is a momentary, normally open switch.  When pressed it will connect the pin your wire is soldered to on the circuit board to ground.  This link will take you to a Radio Shack site with an assortment of such switches available.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=momentary%20switch&origkw=momentary+switch&sr=1

The one I used is in a 4 pack that you'll find at:  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062539

This switch will only be exposed to a few milliamps so the smallest one with the lowest capacity is what you need.

There seems to be an inordinate preoccupation with water among those who have replied to this thread.  In my opinion the switch is pretty well shielded from the airflow by the clutch reservoir and it's the airflow carrying the water.  So what if the switch does manage to accumulate enough water to create a source of flow between the contacts.  All it will do is switch your display panel to the next menu and stay there.  If I'm riding in a rain that's heavy enough to penetrate the switch and to activate it then the least of my concerns is what the display is telling me.  I seriously doubt that the switch will ever be activated by the rain.  If it is, so what?  As a final thought on this matter.  Take a look at the other switches, buttons and what not on on both handlebars and I'll be damned if you can tell me that any of them are waterproof.  None of them are and obviously don't need to be (with the possible exception of the flash to pass switch) otherwise Kawasaki and the other motorcycle manufacturers would be employing waterproof switches in these locations.  They don't, so stop sweating water penetration of the little button that toggles the display panel.   

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:00:27 PM by BudCallaghan »

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »
Thanks Bud. The 4 packs were not labeled as to whether they were normally open or closed. There were trays with labels but most of the packs were obviously in the wrong trays! Anyway I found another switch that I like better. Wider and lower profile. As for water proofing I have had a couple cockpit panel mounted non waterproof toggle switches for my heated grips on two bikes a total of 175,000 miles and have never had any rain or washing related problems.
Here's the one I like:
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »
Thanks Bud. The 4 packs were not labeled as to whether they were normally open or closed. There were trays with labels but most of the packs were obviously in the wrong trays! Anyway I found another switch that I like better. Wider and lower profile. As for water proofing I have had a couple cockpit panel mounted non waterproof toggle switches for my heated grips on two bikes a total of 175,000 miles and have never had any rain or washing related problems.
Here's the one I like:

Looks like an appropriate choice to me and probably would have been my choice also had I gone to the store for this specific purpose.  However, I bought mine a couple years ago and that was what I had on hand when this thread was so graciously begun by Lord Frederick III.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:41:36 AM by BudCallaghan »