Author Topic: updating a Garmin 765  (Read 3295 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

updating a Garmin 765
« on: October 02, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »
I have a Garmin  NUVI 765 and it has 2010 maps, I have a disk with the newer version maps 2012, when I put the disk into my computer and hook up the Garmin to my computer and hit "send"
it goes through the steps like it is tranfering the new maps but when I check the garmmin it says I have 2010 maps. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline fmwhit

Re: updating a Garmin 765
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »
I believe that you need to remove the 2010 maps first.  I usually copy them to my lap top just in case the new ones don't work out that way I can always remove the new ones and put back the old ones.

Fred

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:50:41 AM »
I have a Garmin  NUVI 765 and it has 2010 maps, I have a disk with the newer version maps 2012, when I put the disk into my computer and hook up the Garmin to my computer and hit "send"
it goes through the steps like it is tranfering the new maps but when I check the garmmin it says I have 2010 maps. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

On the setup screens there should be a small button and I forget what it says, but you click that button and it defaults to update computer, then there are two other choices "update gps and computer" and update "gps" only.  If you don't click on that button and change it, only your computer will be updated.  Go slow from each screen, I think it is the second screen, and look for the button, usually on the left side towards the bottom.  Why they hide that thing I don't know.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:06:29 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:45:56 AM »
Thanks!   :goodpost:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:07:37 AM »
Thanks, very interesting

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:30:13 AM »
I've updated the C14 Wiki with a link to this information.  If anyone has anymore helpful websites on GPSs from Garmin please post to the thread in the Wiki.  Start a new thread there for helpful information on other brands or just something in general.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4697.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.