Author Topic: Keeping the digits warm  (Read 4162 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Keeping the digits warm
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »
Other than electrified items, what do you use to keep your fingers warm? Anybody use mittens?

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: Keeping the digits warm
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »
Other than electrified items, what do you use to keep your fingers warm?
Heated grips and a good set of leather gloves.

Anybody use mittens?
No :censored: way!  ???

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »
I couldn't use mittens, heck I dislike insulated gloves.  Hippo hands work great, but be aware, wind pressure will cause them to put pressure on the clutch and brake levers.  Another thing is Baker hand wings or similar.  Find some silk glove liners, warm, thin, and easy to wear.  If you don't mind insulated gloves there are some ski gloves that have a pocket on the backside for hand warmers.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
Mittens?  I just couldn't take mittens away from kittens..  I'm somewhat heartless, but not that heartless.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 12:11:11 PM »
Mittens?  I just couldn't take mittens away from kittens..  I'm somewhat heartless, but not that heartless.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »
Yeah, I know....   I can't help myself.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 12:17:52 PM »

;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »
Yep, Hippo hands absolutely.

As far as the pressure, there is a way to snake a piece of welding rod or a thin piece of aluminum into them so that they hold their position and stay out and in front of the levers.

A lot of it depends entirely on what temperatures we are talking about; there is a huge difference between riding at 40F and 25 F and what works at 40 F often will just not work at all at 25 F.

Brian

I couldn't use mittens, heck I dislike insulated gloves.  Hippo hands work great, but be aware, wind pressure will cause them to put pressure on the clutch and brake levers.  Another thing is Baker hand wings or similar.  Find some silk glove liners, warm, thin, and easy to wear.  If you don't mind insulated gloves there are some ski gloves that have a pocket on the backside for hand warmers.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:13:11 PM »
Hippo Hands is out of business, other than what stock they still have on hand. The ZG1000 are all gone.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 02:30:50 PM »
I had to google what mittens are, tough being a Floridian.  Thats why I need heated gear all over when I ride up there.  Anyway, I found this example of mittens, I guess they were what gloves originally evolved from  ;D

No fingers?  What benefits would such have over gloves?

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
I have a set similar to the link below, but the ones I have are bigger. I used them on other bikes I have had I was able to use them with heated grips and no gloves down to around 35 degrees. I tried to use them once on my C14, but found they hinder my view in the mirrors so I no longer use them.

$20 for these might be worth trying, but remember as Chet mentioned above they do start applying a bit of pressure to the clutch and brake levers.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/9651/ATV-Logic-Hand-Protectors?term=4%20wheeler%20hand%20warmers

I noticed you live in Texas. Is it really that cold, or are you looking for something to ride in other areas of the US?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »
For the short riding I do to and from work (8 miles one way) it isn't too big of a deal when it is cold, but still, my fingers do get quite the chill. The previous two days I rode to work and it was 25 and 22 degrees. But even so, if I take ride around the city and it is say 38 degrees then my hands will get cold.

Mittens are usually preferable over gloves (not necessarily on motorcycles) because they have a pocket that all the fingers and hand supply warmth. Gloves means that the fingers themselves try to keep warm which doesn't work out too well depending or course on the gloves. They do however reduce your ability for gross motor skills. The best way is a glove liner and mittens like these http://www.amazon.com/US-Army-Cold-Weather-Mittens/dp/B004DAWQ6Y

I am just trying to get an idea.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »
No fingers?  What benefits would such have over gloves?

The premise is that the cold air cannot circulate around your fingers, even your gloved fingers.  I think the hope is that your fingers will help keep each other warn if they share a common airspace...

That's how it was explained to me, but I wear gloves, so what do I know...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »
I have used that very same line about 'share a common airspace' and 'keeping each other warm' with mixed results.

:rotflmao:

But I do think that is how mittens are supposed to work.

Brian

<snip>

I think the hope is that your fingers will help keep each other warn if they share a common airspace...

That's how it was explained to me, but I wear gloves, so what do I know...

Jamie
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 06:53:32 AM »
I now understand mittens.  Thanks!  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 07:16:25 AM »
Just invest in heated grips.  They are always there when you need them without having to carry multiple pairs of gloves with you for changing weather conditions.  When my fingers get cold it is painful.  I've used heated grips going over mountain passes in July while wearing mesh riding gear and the grips kept the ride tolerable.

Beartooth Pass heading into Yellowstone.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 07:32:21 AM »
And sleeping bags, right? Same principle.

;D

Brian

I now understand mittens.  Thanks!  :D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 08:29:33 AM »
Yeah, I know....   I can't help myself.

Please try a bit harder!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline phildobaggins

• Fuelly
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
Best items I have ever used and they are cheap. I only use them when its below 40 or my hands sweat are Motocentric waterproof overglove and overboots (fits my size 15's)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 06:07:15 PM »
Please try a bit harder!

Not prudent.  Can't do it.