Author Topic: Oil leaking from rear shock?  (Read 3492 times)

Offline beilts

Oil leaking from rear shock?
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:34:49 AM »
I have a 97 C-10 that has oil dripping down on the rear shock mount. I assume it is coming from the shock. I would guess I need a new rear shock, is that correct? I have only been able to find expensive 'upgrades' or used ones. Do I need to replace it, or can it be repaired, or do you think it is not even the shock, and where could I find a reasonably priced OE replacement?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Oil leaking from rear shock?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 05:47:59 PM »
if you cannot get down there, and clean, and find the point its leaking from... what are you expecting as an answer?
I'm sorry, but some due dilligence is required on your part....

my truck is leaking oil on the driveway right now.... what should I do??? no, seriously, it is... and its the same answer...find the leak, and go from there.

in looking at former posts, and witygh all due respect, I see a specific pattern here... we arewilling tonassist, but you really need to supply more to go on..
without that, just buy a new shock.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conniestoga

Re: Oil leaking from rear shock?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 06:32:50 PM »
Last year I replaced the rear shock on my 95 C10 with one from a ZZR1200. The ride with the ZZR shock is much better if that's the way you want to go and the modification is not that difficult.
The old shock is yours for shipping if you're interested. It had 66k miles, held air, and did not leak when removed. I also have an unused quart of HVI racing suspension oil that I will throw in. The only catch is I drained the old oil out of the shock when I removed it. You will have to add the appropriate amount of new oil. That has been discussed on this forum.

Let me know it you are interested.

P.S. USPS Priority mail shipping should be $18.75 and that is all I would charge.
95 Concours
90 Tengai