Author Topic: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.  (Read 156236 times)

Offline longrun

• I used to hurry a lot, I used to worry a lot
Re: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »
BDF will these work on the ZX14s as well?

I didn't see this question answered.  I have a couple of friends with ZX14's that are interested if it does.
Paul
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »
I do not know if it will work on a ZX or not. I would have to see a schematic and see a ZX 'in the flesh' so to speak before I could address the question. My gut instinct is that it will work but I am not willing to send one out for testing or use without knowing that it will work correctly.

Anybody got a ZX 14 around southern New England who wants the pain and the glory of being the first kid on his / her block to test- wear a Low fuel warning eliminator.... maybe? You will get the glory right here on the pages of this forum, and I will provide the pain. :-)

Funny thing is that I had a ZX here for a little work- I pulled those pesky 'flies out of the throttle bodies of the thing but of course did not bother looking into any of the bike's circuitry. Who knew this would be coming?

Brian

I didn't see this question answered.  I have a couple of friends with ZX14's that are interested if it does.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »
I am like a slave I tells' ya'- all day long working my paws to the bone (proverbially speaking) and no one appreciates me.

Kirby
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »
I just installed mine. What genius decided that hiding the 'miles remaining till empty' display was a good thing when the bike is low on gas?  DUH !!!!!
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »
The same ones that engineered the transponder low battery warning that takes over the screen.....real men of genius.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »
What genius decided that hiding the 'miles remaining till empty' display was a good thing when the bike is low on gas?  DUH !!!!!
The same one that put a potato launchers on Kawi's.  ;D

I was going to buy one of these when Brian first posted about it, but then I thought I kind of like to be reminded that I need gas. When you put it that way PnP I think well maybe I should buy one.

Brian I can't remember if you already said this or not, do we still get any kind of warning that we are low on fuel with this installed?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 04:15:13 PM »
No, no warning once the circuit is installed. For better or worse, the low fuel warning on the LCD and the generic red LED on the dash that goes with it are a 'all of them or none of them' kind of deal.

The flip side of the coin is that you can then use the range function which appears to be reasonably accurate, at least for most of us, once the warning itself is gone. So you still have a fuel gauge that works as it always did, a trip meter which you can use (I use trip meter A for fuel, B for oil changes) and now the range function continues to work; once I get low on fuel I tend to go to the range function and leave the LCD there until refueling.

But it is definitely a choice we all have to make- while most people don't care for that obnoxious screen flashing, some people do appreciate the warning being given. So far most people seem to like the bike without the warning but I did have one gentleman who tried the warning eliminator and preferred the bike with the warning present. From what you said though, perhaps you like the warning more than you dislike it an the eliminator circuit wouldn't be the best way to go for you.

Of course a really talented person would design a low fuel warning eliminator that simply eliminated the low fuel condition directly by filling the fuel tank. Betcha' those would sell like hot cakes....  ;D

Brian

The same one that put a potato launchers on Kawi's.  ;D

I was going to buy one of these when Brian first posted about it, but then I thought I kind of like to be reminded that I need gas. When you put it that way PnP I think well maybe I should buy one.

Brian I can't remember if you already said this or not, do we still get any kind of warning that we are low on fuel with this installed?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
From what you said though, perhaps you like the warning more than you dislike it an the eliminator circuit wouldn't be the best way to go for you.
I've never really had a problem finding a gas station so it has not been that big of a deal. I'm still going to kick this around for a while. Thanks for the reply.

On a side note, remember the days we had to turn the lever to the up position for reserve and then guess how far we could make it? Ahhhh, the good ole days.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »

Just received and installed my fuel warning tool from BDF. Installation took all of 5 minutes and it works well. Thanks for the quick delivery. You do need to be aware that the range function read out varies as your mpg calculated by the bike computer varies so you can be showing 45 miles range one second and 25 the next if your are speeding up or slowing down. 

Fork

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 04:28:17 AM »
That's normal.  Mine did that before the mod.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »
Glad to hear you like it.

Yep, the range function is a result of the ECU doing a calculation based on the current amount of fuel vs. the current fuel usage. The range function uses the instantaneous mileage function to determine how much fuel is being used so if that is changing quite a bit, so will the range function. Just base your hopes and expectations on the lowest reading it gives and you should not have any surprises.

Brian

Just received and installed my fuel warning tool from BDF. Installation took all of 5 minutes and it works well. Thanks for the quick delivery. You do need to be aware that the range function read out varies as your mpg calculated by the bike computer varies so you can be showing 45 miles range one second and 25 the next if your are speeding up or slowing down. 

Fork

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 09:37:27 AM »
I got one of these ingenious little gadgets a couple of weeks ago.  I absolutely love it.
The only down side is trying to get the Range to read as low as possible before fuelling up hahaha
I rode it down to 7 miles to empty and lost my nerve.
Easy to install once you locate the wires under the tank.  Mine were jammed way under and over but that only took me an extra 3 minutes to find them. Simple plug and play.
Well worth the money. 
Thanks again

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts and glad to hear you like the circuit. Glad to have another happy customer.

Brian

I got one of these ingenious little gadgets a couple of weeks ago.  I absolutely love it.
The only down side is trying to get the Range to read as low as possible before fuelling up hahaha
I rode it down to 7 miles to empty and lost my nerve.
Easy to install once you locate the wires under the tank.  Mine were jammed way under and over but that only took me an extra 3 minutes to find them. Simple plug and play.
Well worth the money. 
Thanks again

gwocni

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts and glad to hear you like the circuit. Glad to have another happy customer.

Brian

When mine comes I'll let you know exactly how low it goes... lololol.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
It should be along shortly, unless customs has held it up. It was shipped on the 15 Oct.

By all means, let us know how you like it and how the installation goes. I encourage feedback and if you don't like it or something about it, maybe it can be addressed in future versions.

Brian

When mine comes I'll let you know exactly how low it goes... lololol.

gwocni

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »
It should be along shortly, unless customs has held it up. It was shipped on the 15 Oct.

By all means, let us know how you like it and how the installation goes. I encourage feedback and if you don't like it or something about it, maybe it can be addressed in future versions.

Brian

No problem. Should be here next week methinks :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2013, 08:44:47 AM »
Now I need a similar product to block the TPMS low battery warning. I know I can and will change the batteries in my TPMS senders but until I get a round to it, cold mornings are a PITA with the blinking and the loss of all other display functions.

gwocni

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »
Arrived today,

I'll fit it over the w/e. The only thing is, I just filled the tank...  :doh:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »
Thanks for letting me know. Not so bad, ordered on 13 Oct., shipped on 14 Oct. and delivered to Northern Ireland on 29 Oct. after clearing customs, probably twice (US and UK). Glad to hear it arrived OK.

So now we know, shipping to the UK is $13 (yeah, I charged you $7 for shipping- my mistake).

And just so you know, I nearly came home from the post office with a dog. Yep, a long haired German Shepherd named Zeus was in the back of an SUV but looking for a new home as his human is moving from a house to an apartment. I said hello to the dog and his human let him out of the vehicle and Zeus curled up between my knees and leaned up against me (I was kneeling to say hello). It took everything I had to refuse the dog but really only after I was convinced that his human would not put him down nor take him to a shelter that euthanizes dogs. A beautiful, intelligent, healthy dog about seven years old.... it took all my willpower to let him go. So you almost cost me unknown years of happy dog ownership :-)  Not quite ready after losing my last pup last spring but if ever I was tempted, that dog was it.... Sorry, waxing philosophical but it really was a special dog I think.

Brian

Arrived today,

I'll fit it over the w/e. The only thing is, I just filled the tank...  :doh:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2013, 04:36:53 AM »
 :thumbs:   Pictures or you're just making this up to bring tears to our eyes...