Author Topic: C14 2012 corrosion around bevel gear housing  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Walter

C14 2012 corrosion around bevel gear housing
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:39:23 AM »
Has anyone else encountered this bubbling/corrosion around the bevel gear housing?  No visible leaks or other symptoms.  Wondering if I should get it looked at while still under extended warranty.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:39:35 AM by Walter »

Offline Freddy

Re: C14 2012 corrosion around water pump housing
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 05:12:43 AM »
That's the bevel gear housing/cover so there's no coolant close by.  Nah, haven't seen anything that ugly on the bike but I can't see my own a...  Cosmetic damage(?) should be covered you would hope.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:43:10 AM »
Wow- no, never seen anything like that before.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »
Has anyone else encountered this bubbling/corrosion around the water pump housing?  No visible leaks or other symptoms.  Wondering if I should get it looked at while still under extended warranty.

Do you live near salt water?  And yes, you should take it to the dealer and let them have a look see.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 09:18:38 AM »
I went to check mine and the two bolts at the top have that same greenish residue that yours does. Mine doesn't have
the paint bubbling up and flaking however. Walter, are you up in snow/road salt country? Mine doesn't get snow salt
but it does see some salt exposure as we have leaky brine tank trucks running around in the fracking areas here and when it rains
the country roads run white with salt water for the first 20 minutes or so. I think that housing is cast aluminum...right?

edit:as I was posting this, I was trying to compare photos side by side and things don't line up right. I know the photos
were taken at different angles but still...it almost appears that yours has some welding on the rear part. Is that just an optical illusion from the corrosion?....or
did you buy this bike used and maybe...something was done there that you weren't told about?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 09:50:55 AM by fartymarty »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: C14 2012 corrosion around bevel gear housing
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »
it almost appears that yours has some welding on the rear part. Is that just an optical illusion from the corrosion?....or
did you buy this bike used and maybe...something was done there that you weren't told about?

Now that I look closer at his picture, it is not an optical illusion- there is a whole formed area MISSING.  Look at the area I circled- that is supposed to be RAISED with a fitting in it pointing at about 1 O'Clock!  If I didn't know better, I would say someone tried to repair the housing and did a horrible job.  Then they "painted" it very poorly (wrong prep work).

PS (to original poster)- The Subject/Title of the thread needs to be changed to "bevel gear housing"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »
I wonder what year the bike is as well..?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »
I wonder what year the bike is as well..?

2012...it's in the title.  ::)

Now that I look closer at his picture, it is not an optical illusion- there is a whole formed area MISSING. 

I saw that as well, but it's not missing it's just sort of mangled looking? ...but yes in that photo it gives the appearance of a repaint.

I'm going to get another photo of mine and try to get the same angle that Walter did.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »
I saw that as well, but it's not missing it's just sort of mangled looking?

If by manged you mean melted away or beaten into nothingness or having been evaporated... perhaps :)  LOL

I'm going to get another photo of mine and try to get the same angle that Walter did.

Here are 3 of mine (from previous photos)...

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »
If by mangled you mean melted away or beaten into nothingness or having been evaporated... perhaps :)  LOL
;D
I guess I'm just seeing different, I still see the boss and the small circular indentation in the end of it. I see nothing missing.  It just looks like it's been beat on a bit, but that could be the photo light and the corrosion under the paint that is causing that. I tried to get a better photo of mine, but my Top Block is in the way, well that and I got tired of kneeling down there.

I've highlighted in green the boss and circle area (if I wasn't so lazy I'm sure I could look in the service manual and see exactly what that is, then I thought let MOB do it... ;) ) and in red the area that I thought might be welded (Heliarced?/TIG) but could be just corrosion and flaking paint. I'm starting to lose interest.  :-[
Anyway here are the photos:

Here are 3 of mine (from previous photos)...

You just had to show us how clean your bike is didn't you?  :P

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 06:11:32 PM »
2012...it's in the title.  ::)

I'm sorry.  That too obvious for me.. :doh:   Back to drinking.

I'm agreeing with Farty on the piece not missing.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 08:55:40 PM »
;D
I guess I'm just seeing different, I still see the boss and the small circular indentation in the end of it. I see nothing missing.  It just looks like it's been beat on a bit, but that could be the photo light and the corrosion under the paint that is causing that. I tried to get a better photo of mine, but my Top Block is in the way, well that and I got tired of kneeling down there.

I've highlighted in green the boss and circle area (if I wasn't so lazy I'm sure I could look in the service manual and see exactly what that is, then I thought let MOB do it... ;) ) and in red the area that I thought might be welded (Heliarced?/TIG) but could be just corrosion and flaking paint. I'm starting to lose interest.  :-[
Anyway here are the photos:

well, it is the bevel gear housing; and the gasket behind it is 11061-0310   GASKET,FR GEAR CASE

but we have seen a few 'weeping" things with coolant, and droplets of "green" liquids have made there way there, because of gravity.  Mostly seen on the retaining bolts tho..  but that corrosion is evident of some seapage behind, and attacking the finished paint on the housing... hmmm.. it ain't oil.. only coolant would do that.

so, a thousand mile away over the net, I'm thinking for you to look at hose connections, and bolts, all being a sealed within on the cooling system, and mitigating a leak that ends up at that point below. Where it sits, in the mating surfaces, and working under the paint corroding the finish...
do a bit more exploration, especially aroud the water pump.. loose hose clamp, or if service was done prior to the pump, anything related to it could reveal the source...

oh, and if you have an active warranty, or an extended one... make Kaw "fix" it .. meaning they provide you with a re-built output case, NEW of course, and not just blowing you off and saying 'wee''ll paint it"....

wow, when I was trying to post this/... it combined like three clipboard responses.. sorry..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »

Ok, with that description, and looking at the photo NOT zoomed it, I see what you mean.  It could still be there but a trick of the light + paint bubbling up or something.  Hmmm.

You just had to show us how clean your bike is didn't you?  :P

:)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 11:51:57 PM »
Max....

if not, this isn't a subject for your response.

???  ???  :o
Ha! There is no such thing! ....However, of course he's got a C14 he showed us photos of it all clean and sparkly (groan  ::) ) just a few posts ago. It helps if you read the whole thread...
Hey!....where did Walter go?...Walter!...get ur tuchas back in here and give us some answers...the nerve of you stirring up this pot and then abandoning it while it self stirs.  ;D

Offline Walter

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 05:00:56 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.....and I changed the subject line to try and cover up my ignorance....
I bought the bike new (as a leftover in 2014) and the bubbling has been there as long as I remember.  It now has about 30K and the bubbling was there.... I think.... since new, but definitely when I did the valves at 15K.  It does seem to be getting worse however. 
I didn't notice any coolant leaks when I had everything stripped off to get to the valves but I'll look more carefully.  Never any leaks on the floor or coolant loss.
I live in MA and ride year round (including on salted roads at times) but the corrosion is limited to this area, nothing anywhere else.
Thanks to some past guidance from MoB I have the extended warranty until August 2019.  When I get a window in the weather I'll go in to the dealer and see what they say.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 07:05:26 AM »
Max  do you have a C14?  if so, look closely at the gear housing...
I've seen this a dozen times

if not, this isn't a subject for your response.

read the post above.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
I bought the bike new (as a leftover in 2014) and the bubbling has been there as long as I remember.  It now has about 30K and the bubbling was there.... I think.... since new, but definitely when I did the valves at 15K.  It does seem to be getting worse however.

Thanks Walter for returning and giving us more info. When a bike sits around a dealer that long, who knows what could happen to it. Perhaps during the dealer prep (which is low priority and could have taken days because it would have stopped and started as other work came in the door) maybe some brake fluid got splashed on the paint and it was quickly cleaned from every where except the bevel gear housing?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

sorry/// total brainfart on my part... wasn't paying attention.

please accept my apology.   :hail:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..