Author Topic: Stebel Nautilus mounting angle  (Read 7549 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Stebel Nautilus mounting angle
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:40:11 PM »
I've been searching all of the threads concerning the mounting of the Stebel Nautilus horn, which I recently received from Murph's. There have been some references to the proper mounting angle/orientation, but my Stebel came with no instructions at all regarding the proper orientation for mounting the horn.

Is there truly a specific direction that this horn must face? I was contemplating making an angle or z-bracket to mount it in the right side upper fairing so that the sound is directed pretty much downward, parallel to the forks. This is rather than mounting it so that it blasts towards the forks (and me!!) as is shown on the Twisted Throttle website, http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/384/1/28/.

On a related subject, it seems all of the Stebel pictures on this site show a much more "naked" horn than what I received from Murph's. It seems to have a shroud that covers much of the horn's mechanism, nothing like the one shown on the T.T. website listed above. Is mine a new and improved Nautilus or something?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: Stebel Nautilus mounting angle
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »
I've been searching all of the threads concerning the mounting of the Stebel Nautilus horn, which I recently received from Murph's. There have been some references to the proper mounting angle/orientation, but my Stebel came with no instructions at all regarding the proper orientation for mounting the horn.

Is there truly a specific direction that this horn must face? I was contemplating making an angle or z-bracket to mount it in the right side upper fairing so that the sound is directed pretty much downward, parallel to the forks. This is rather than mounting it so that it blasts towards the forks (and me!!) as is shown on the Twisted Throttle website, http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/384/1/28/.

On a related subject, it seems all of the Stebel pictures on this site show a much more "naked" horn than what I received from Murph's. It seems to have a shroud that covers much of the horn's mechanism, nothing like the one shown on the T.T. website listed above. Is mine a new and improved Nautilus or something?

Update: Ok, I found on the web that the cylinder must be mounted within 15-degrees of vertical. That blows my installation plan of getting the horns to blow downward. Guess I'll come up with a "Plan B" tomorrow.
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »
I doubt that the mounting angle is very critical...just make sure that it is mounted so that any water which might enter will freely drain out...as a design engineer for Kenworth truck company I have designed several electric horn mounting locations and have learned that if the horn is not oriented so that it will not collect water that there will be high warranty claim rate...I know that you will not be making a warranty claim if the horn fails early, but it is just something to keep in mind...please post pictures of your installation for all of us.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:47:56 AM »
Update: Ok, I found on the web that the cylinder must be mounted within 15-degrees of vertical. That blows my installation plan of getting the horns to blow downward. Guess I'll come up with a "Plan B" tomorrow.

I've definitely read that on the web too.  There was nothing in my kit when I bought one either.  Managed to mount mine correctly just under the fairing trim to the right of the tank - quite a bit of room in there.  Needed to make a little mount for it though.

Love my stebel!
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:45:10 AM »
I doubt that the mounting angle is very critical...just make sure that it is mounted so that any water which might enter will freely drain out...as a design engineer for Kenworth truck company I have designed several electric horn mounting locations and have learned that if the horn is not oriented so that it will not collect water that there will be high warranty claim rate...I know that you will not be making a warranty claim if the horn fails early, but it is just something to keep in mind...please post pictures of your installation for all of us.

Actually, they were pretty emphatic in the directions about the mounting angle.  I don't think it has to do with water draining, it is a function of the way the horn is designed and lubricated.  I, for one, mounted it following the directions...

And mounting under the right fairing was not difficult at all.  It might not be the "ideal" location for the blast, but it doesn't seem to matter all that much.  The horn can be heard 100 times more than the stock horn- the sound seems to make its way out with no problem at all.

It is a great horn.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=286
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »
Ok, the plan is to put it under the right side, oriented vertically. I'm wondering if i can trim off some of the curve at the bottom of the two horns so that the sound is directed down more. Either that, or attach a small "deflector" to them to do the same thing.

I wonder whatever happened with the guy that trimmed the OEM horn bracket and mounted the Nautilus in the original horn locatiion. I tried fitting it there and believe it will clear, but my concern was blocking air from the radiator on a hot Texas day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »
Ok, the plan is to put it under the right side, oriented vertically. I'm wondering if i can trim off some of the curve at the bottom of the two horns so that the sound is directed down more. Either that, or attach a small "deflector" to them to do the same thing.

I don't see a problem with doing either.  I had thought about using a deflector, until I finished the install and used it a few times for real and realized it probably didn't matter much.  I would recommend you just try the "normal" install (vertical under right fairing) and try it out and see what you think.  I bet you won't want to bother with any additional modifications.

I wonder whatever happened with the guy that trimmed the OEM horn bracket and mounted the Nautilus in the original horn locatiion. I tried fitting it there and believe it will clear, but my concern was blocking air from the radiator on a hot Texas day.

In the other threads he swore it was a great location.  I don't think so, myself.  Not only does it block airflow, it also subjects the horn to an incredible amount of water if riding in the rain.  Plus it looks like there are extreme clearances involved.  Since my bike is lowered, it wouldn't work, anyway.  Besides, I wanted to keep my original electric horn operational and right where it is.  It operates in tandem with the air horn.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=286.msg25285#msg25285
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »
IIRC, that horn can be "disassembled" carefully, separating the pump from the horn, and this will allow you to add a piece of plastic tubing, to make mounting the 2 pieces in a more adaptive manner....
I can't find the photos, but Millerized took pics of one he did this to. ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »
IIRC, that horn can be "disassembled" carefully, separating the pump from the horn, and this will allow you to add a piece of plastic tubing, to make mounting the 2 pieces in a more adaptive manner....
I can't find the photos, but Millerized took pics of one he did this to. ;)
There are two "versions" of the horn out there. The newer one has some extra plastic all around it. You can really see the difference when you look at Jeremy's install pictures vs. Caffeinated's. I really wish this was a "push tab A and slide out of slot B" type disassembly, just in case it needed to be reversed.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3104.15 (reply #25 for Jeremy and reply #38 for Caffeinated)

Offline scgoan

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
Now that you've had your horn mounted in front of your radiator for awhile, what do you think? Any issues with heat due to airflow being blocked, horn damage due to weather or debris, bracket failure due to the weight, or interference with the fender when the shocks are compressed?

I see how it will fit there, but I live in Texas where it gets really hot and I don't want any issues with overheating.

Here is my response to a pm that was sent to me by wally_games:

It's funny that you sent your pm when you did. I was just reading the latest thread on the installation of the Stebel. Honestly, I was laughing when I was reading the thread, I haven't had any issues and I won't because my clearance is fine. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, I just measured and measured again to be safe.  I know that you can't see it in the pictures, but I have just enough space. After my posting about my installation and hearing everyone tell me that there wasn't enough room and that I would end up with the horn embedded in the radiator, I went out just to make sure that I wasn't making a huge mistake. I'm more that certain that I have enough room.  I'm not going to say that it isn't close, because it is. I didn't even spend that much time installing the horn. It was fairly simple. I have a California Concours, so I didn't have many choices.

As far as the other issues that you mentioned, I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I live in San Diego, and I don't like riding in anything over 90 degrees. Unfortunately, I don't think I could answer your question as far as the heat during a really hot day in Texas.

Cheers,
Shannon

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 05:01:58 PM »
here is an interesting article comparing motorcycle horns

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »
here is an interesting article comparing motorcycle horns

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

I only find it interesting that they managed to have TWO (??!?!!) bad Stebel horns when nobody on this board has *EVER* posted about a failure and have great reviews.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 07:04:32 AM »
Pardon me for reviving an older thread, but I've run into a problem with my Stebel Nautilus. About the second time I tested the horn, the supplied 10 amp fuse blew. I replaced it and have been able to honk it a few times to demonstrate to friends how it sounded. I wrote it off to a defective fuse.

Well, this morning on the way to work, a lady on her cell phone decided that she wanted to be in my lane more than her own. I gave the horn a couple of short beeps to get her attention, but when that didn't work, I hit the button again. It honked for about a half second, then nothing. My stock horns did continue to beep, but you all know how ineffective those things are.  :o

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or might have a suggestion on what might be going on. The horn is mounted very close to vertical and is wired directly to the battery. The harness permits you to keep your stockers operating so I still have those, but will need to pick up some more fuses. I'd just like to know that when I need a  big blast, one will be available.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:03 AM »
Pardon me for reviving an older thread, but I've run into a problem with my Stebel Nautilus. About the second time I tested the horn, the supplied 10 amp fuse blew. I replaced it and have been able to honk it a few times to demonstrate to friends how it sounded. I wrote it off to a defective fuse.

Well, this morning on the way to work, a lady on her cell phone decided that she wanted to be in my lane more than her own. I gave the horn a couple of short beeps to get her attention, but when that didn't work, I hit the button again. It honked for about a half second, then nothing. My stock horns did continue to beep, but you all know how ineffective those things are.  :o

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or might have a suggestion on what might be going on. The horn is mounted very close to vertical and is wired directly to the battery. The harness permits you to keep your stockers operating so I still have those, but will need to pick up some more fuses. I'd just like to know that when I need a  big blast, one will be available.
First time I tested the horn, the 10amp blew. Just popped a 15amp fuse in there and have had no problems since. I read somewhere that a 15 was needed, but figured the 10amp supplied was the correct one. Guess not.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline seajay

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
I think the Nautilus Compact pulls around 18 amps, I've got a 20 amp fuse in my circuit. I haven't needed to use the Stebel much, but no problems when I have.
09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »
First time I tested the horn, the 10amp blew. Just popped a 15amp fuse in there and have had no problems since. I read somewhere that a 15 was needed, but figured the 10amp supplied was the correct one. Guess not.

Thanks. Picked both 10 and 15 amp fuses on the way home. Guess I'll give that a try.