Author Topic: Wheelnerds and the new 2012 Motus MST  (Read 6195 times)

Offline stewart

Wheelnerds and the new 2012 Motus MST
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »
Was listening to the lastest episode of the Wheelnerds podcast and the new CEO (I think) of Motus mentioned the mighty Concours as a fine machine...for a split second.

The actual interview was pretty interesting and made me sit up and take notice. Doesn't mean I'll spend $30k on a bike though.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline rcannon409

Re: Wheelnerds and the new 2012 Motus MST
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
I listened to that episode as well, and it was good.   As for the Motus, I'm pulling for the company, but I  need to see the company live 5 years before getting serious about one.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
I agree, we should all be pulling for them, even if we never plan to own one.  Conceptually it's the bike I want.  A fairly light, high powered ST bike using top notch components.  I'm also familiar with the companies they used to develop the bike and they are top notch as well (Katech and  Pratt & Miller).
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »
I agree, we should all be pulling for them, even if we never plan to own one.  Conceptually it's the bike I want.  A fairly light, high powered ST bike using top notch components.  I'm also familiar with the companies they used to develop the bike and they are top notch as well (Katech and  Pratt & Miller).

A $30,975 sport touring bike with a chain drive, small fairings, no traction control, no ABS, only 2 year warranty, and things like heated grips and adjustable windscreen are *optional*?   Might be fast, but looks to me like they need to rethink their goals when asking for more than TWICE the cost of the Concours...

To me, "Sport Touring" is more than just slapping on side bags and a "Powerlet port".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
A $30,975 sport touring bike with a chain drive, small fairings, no traction control, no ABS, only 2 year warranty, and things like heated grips and adjustable windscreen are *optional*?   Might be fast, but looks to me like they need to rethink their goals when asking for more than TWICE the cost of the Concours...

To me, "Sport Touring" is more than just slapping on side bags and a "Powerlet port".

The guy I ride with (who also has a Concours and we both have two other bikes) and I had this same discussion.  I don't think that discussions of pricing are applicable.  A BMW M3 costs twice what a Mustang GT costs - so what.  There will always be manufacturers who build something special and charge for it, and there are people who will pay for it.  I'm sure Motus realizes what the pricing means.  But tell me this, who else offers a 165 hp 530lb sport touring bike, let along the same with 185hp?  Complain all you want, but it's price is about what a very mundane Honda Accord cost in the automobile world, or for that matter not much more than a loaded Goldwing.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:47:48 PM »
The guy I ride with (who also has a Concours and we both have two other bikes) and I had this same discussion.  I don't think that discussions of pricing are applicable.  A BMW M3 costs twice what a Mustang GT costs - so what.  There will always be manufacturers who build something special and charge for it, and there are people who will pay for it.  I'm sure Motus realizes what the pricing means.  But tell me this, who else offers a 165 hp 530lb sport touring bike, let along the same with 185hp?  Complain all you want, but it's price is about what a very mundane Honda Accord cost in the automobile world, or for that matter not much more than a loaded Goldwing.

:goodpost:

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »
30 sounds like a lot, and is, but its a down payment on the custom choppers people were buying  a few years ago.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 11:31:45 AM »
More like 36k from what my local dealer tells me...

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
But I can take that $36k and buy myself a C14 AND a Ducati Panigale... ooooooooo!  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 02:13:26 PM »
More like 36k from what my local dealer tells me...

The list prices are on their website.  36K buys the 185 hp version. 
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »
I wouldn't refuse one if it were given to me... and I'd certainly be interested in a test ride. I like that it's built here... I like the sound of the V-4 (as much as you can hear in videos)... I like the expression of the classic pushrod motor design...

But, I wouldn't be able to swallow the cost of ownership.

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »
But I can take that $36k and buy myself a C14 AND a Ducati Panigale... ooooooooo!  8)
Cool.  Can we see the pics of you with both of the bikes together?

I'm w/ Jim.  The price isn't that bad compared to many of the choices out there for limited-production bikes. 

For the people who want, can afford and justify one, this will be a cool bike.  At the moment I want one, but cannot afford/justify getting one.  Fortunately, the wanting is more of a "it would be cool" rather than "my life sucks because I can't have one".  :)
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
Of course the initial price reflects the cost of the engineering, design, & development over the last several years. Should it sell well the prices would probably drop as production increased. I think it's great that someone, anyone, is trying to develop some new and unique. Especially an American company. Can I afford to buy one? Not even close. Would I, if I could? Heck yes. If for no other reason but to encourage the further development of a new brand of motorcycle. Of course I'd probably buy a new Buell for similar reasons. Would I ride them? Without a doubt. I don't  & won't own any Garage Queens. I just enjoy the fact that despite our down trodden economy people are still out there trying to carry their dreams to fruition & make their dreams come true. Rock-on Motus. Rock-on Eric.  8)
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »
I was in love the first time I heard the "baby LS7" on the dyno.  It made sounds that stood the hairs on my neck up, who knows what else would have stood up if I had heard it in the flesh.   ;D 

Hopefully Motus can thrive that way I can pick up a lightly used MST-R in a couple years. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »
Complain all you want, but it's price is about what a very mundane Honda Accord cost in the automobile world, or for that matter not much more than a loaded Goldwing.

I am not complaining, just pointing out that it would not meet my goals either for function or cost.  I certainly wish them well, of course!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »
Cool.  Can we see the pics of you with both of the bikes together?

Well, since we're just wishing.... if I had that kind of money to burn on a bike, it wouldn't be a Motus at this time anyway... I would rather own this...  8) 

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1204_the_metisse_returns_with_an_all_new_engine/index.html

I do hope Motus makes it... I also hope they can drop the price point as time goes by, and offer ABS in the future.  I would then possibly look at them as a bike to own... purchased a ABS Wing new... so if the price was close, and ABS was there... you never know.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »
Comparing the Motus price to a BMW M3 is preposterous.  Come back with that comparison in 90 years when you have been around as long as BMW.  Pratt & Miller buys you about 1/4 of that time. 

Best of luck to them, but the comparison to boutique chompers is a lot closer than comparing them to Buell.  Remember, Buell designed, built, and sold real working MC in some quantity.  And just went third and sixth at the AMA road race last weekend.

Motus?  Still very new at this.  No track record.  BIG price, slim pedigree, underspec machine.

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!