Author Topic: Stylish car with decent mpg  (Read 20172 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Stylish car with decent mpg
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
Wife driving one way 40 miles to get to work and already unhappy with the Jeep Wrangler gas mileage. On a good day it will be about 15 mpg. So, we are tossing around the idea of getting a car that is good on gas (does not have to be 40 or 50 mpg), but also is stylish. Got the following in mind:

Mini Cooper
Honda CR Z
Hyundai Veloster

One other car that peaked my interest is the Hyundai Genesis. Looks like you can get a good package for under $30k.

Any thoughts or other suggestions? Do not prefer rear wheel drive car as this is snow country.

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Stylish car with decent mpg
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »
Ford Focus... I really like the Focus ST.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
I didn't used to be a fan of Korean cars but Hyundai has made huge strides in quality.
If you like the Genesis then check out the Elantra.  One of my friends has one and the 2.0 turbo makes great power but you can also get 40 mpg on the highway with it.

The Chevy Cruze and Ford Fusion are also nice looking cars IMO that get good MPG's.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »
Ford Focus... I really like the Focus ST.  8)

^^^^^^^my vote. Or for a wife/girlfriend, Fiat 500.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
^^^^^^^my vote. Or for a wife/girlfriend, Fiat 500.

... Abarth if I had to do a 500!  8)
Rob

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
... Abarth if I had to do a 500!  8)

Very cool car! I'm glad they are bringing them to the US now.  Fun car to drive (from what I read) and they are capable of 35+ mpg to boot.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
The next few years for compacts are going to be fun!  8)
Rob

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 04:08:35 PM »
What about a VW Jetta TDI? 40+ mpg and it's a very nice car! My wife loves our SportWagen, I do too. It's a diesel, that takes some getting used to but not that much. 

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Ford Focus ST is growing on me. Gonna go by to check one out.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
If your not hard against it. (Some people are for political reasons)

Look at the Prius. It is one of the most reliable and least maintenance required cars built today. If you can get by the politics and just look at the car you might be surprised.

Also ,you can get a rebuilt one for a lot less money. Here is a guy who rebuilds them.

http://www.autobeyours.com/
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
Fiat 500 for the girl. Good choice.
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
What about a VW Jetta TDI? 40+ mpg and it's a very nice car! My wife loves our SportWagen, I do too. It's a diesel, that takes some getting used to but not that much. 

+10000
Take a test drive, you will be surprised, it aint the diesel of old.  I have averaged 50mpg on a 650 mile rountrip crossing a couple of mountain passes each way.  That was riding solo.  I just got back from Colorado Springs, loaded like Jed Clampet.  Did Yellowstone, lots of touristy things while there, did Pikes Peak and all the surrounding attractions.  The trip averaged over 42 mpg, and all in style 8)

Excavator

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
My wife was driving all over the county (realtor) in a big 4X4 GMC getting terrible mileage. We traded it for a used BMW328i, it's getting 36 mpg on the freeway and it's lots of fun to drive. The performance and drive-ability of this car is awesome.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
A friend of mine bought 2 328xi for him and his wife and love them. Matching colors is a little odd.
Joel from Maine.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »
I just bought a Chevrolet Sonic for my 100 mile commute.  I think that GM has finally figure out how to build a subcompact.  My wife loves her Honda Fit.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 12:14:48 AM »
Wife driving one way 40 miles to get to work and already unhappy with the Jeep Wrangler gas mileage. On a good day it will be about 15 mpg. So, we are tossing around the idea of getting a car that is good on gas (does not have to be 40 or 50 mpg), but also is stylish. Got the following in mind:

Mini Cooper
Honda CR Z
Hyundai Veloster

One other car that peaked my interest is the Hyundai Genesis. Looks like you can get a good package for under $30k.

Any thoughts or other suggestions? Do not prefer rear wheel drive car as this is snow country.

Going against the grain here.. When I test drove the Mini Cooper, I had a BLAST! I was hoping that I could tow with the
Countryman (4x4), but no dice. Bmw's 4 year 100K maintenance program too.. Plus I let my SO drive it, she smiled the whole time,
but we both purchased Subaru's, mine the 3.6 Outback, her's a Legacy, both awd's. If I didn't have a garage queen already, I'd consider
a John Cooper Works Edition Mini.. Here's an example of one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/John-Cooper-Manual-Hatchback-1-6L-CD-4-wheel-disc-brakes-ABS-brakes-AM-FM-radio-/110931271458?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d404df22
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 05:06:25 AM »
Going against the grain here.. When I test drove the Mini Cooper, I had a BLAST! I was hoping that I could tow with the
Countryman (4x4), but no dice. Bmw's 4 year 100K maintenance program too.. Plus I let my SO drive it, she smiled the whole time,
but we both purchased Subaru's, mine the 3.6 Outback, her's a Legacy, both awd's. If I didn't have a garage queen already, I'd consider
a John Cooper Works Edition Mini.. Here's an example of one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/John-Cooper-Manual-Hatchback-1-6L-CD-4-wheel-disc-brakes-ABS-brakes-AM-FM-radio-/110931271458?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d404df22
I dont know how much 'trunk' space the Mini's have, I can affirm that the Subaru's have good storage room in the back ::)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 05:13:15 AM »
I dont know how much 'trunk' space the Mini's have, I can affirm that the Subaru's have good storage room in the back ::)

Ditto on the Jetta SportWagen.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 06:06:20 AM »
Last night we scoured the local delearship. Not sure if we are slamming the plastic down, but it was fun to check em out.

No Focus ST anywhere to be found locally. Wife did not quite like the looks of Focus SE. So she deducing that she will not like ST either. Guess we shall see.

VW jetta is definitely under consideration. But we liked the looks of other cars better.

We talked about Minis. Our first choice, but we are both worried about maintenance cost.

Honda CR Z got some bad reviews. We went and checked one out - could not test drive. I am not too impressed by the 122 horses and wife not too impressed that you can barely through the rear-view mirror.

Good news is, we definitely liked the Hyundai Veloster!! Too bad they only had the non-turbo version. I told the wife, if we are buying it, we are getting the turbo version! :D

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline timmerz

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 06:31:54 AM »
I can definitely give a huge thumbs-up to my 011 Camry, although the styling is more "middle-of-the-road" than the others you're looking at...I'm getting 31 to 32 mpg on my 100-mile-a-day commute, and the comfort is unsurpassed in my experience....could not ask for a better commuter...that's with the 2.5L 4-cyl and 6-spd auto tranny....surprisingly good performance, great comfort and good styling, in my book...