Author Topic: Coolant level  (Read 1986 times)

Offline cugsy

Coolant level
« on: May 31, 2013, 04:38:42 PM »
Evenin' all...as they say over here. I found another expansion tank and went through the 'oh so tedious' process of taking all of the bodywork off again to get it fitted. As a precaution I drained the coolant and flushed it twice before filling it with coolant. I found the air bleed by the water pump and 'burped' and bled. Then I bled the top air bleed bolt. After quite some time I still only managed to get about 2.5 litres in there and not the 3.1 in the manual. That includes the bit in the expansion tank.
  The civic rad switch works a treat and the temp gauge too. I'm going to take her for a little run up the road and then see if theres room for the other 1/2 litre afterwards.  In the mean time - any advice?  John
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline cugsy

Re: Coolant level
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »
okay, been for a 20 mile bimble. The bike was fine and the temp gauge sat in the middle. Came back and let her cool and added another dribble to the radiator. Slowly but surely I'll get there.. :)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
Even blowing it out, You probably did not get all the water out of the engine and radiator.

But, why worry?
Just drain it and fill with 50/50 antifreeze until it's full.
After you ride it a few times,,, open the radiator cap and if needed, add a bit more..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:13:25 AM »
At least yours has worked mine has rarely worked and certainly not for the last year. One day I will concentrate on it and fix it.

Offline cugsy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
Ted, thats all I'm doing - ride it and keep an eye on it.  ;D