Author Topic: Trailers - what do you use?  (Read 7472 times)

Offline TJ

Trailers - what do you use?
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:57:48 PM »
I plan on picking up an aluminum trailer soon to pull behind the RV to carry one or both of my bikes. The majority of the time I would be loading/unloading it myself.
What are some recommendations for a quality trailer?
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Trailers - what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »
I have something a lot like this. I got it for ATV's but use it with bikes as well. Bolt a Harbor Freight wheel chalk to the floor and carry a couple of bike no problem. The low bed and the full width 5' ramp make loading and unloading easy. And a trailer like this is 1/2 the cost of a purpose build bike trailer. I paid about $1000 for it brand new 9 years ago. Not sure what it would cost today.

Offline clogan

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »
My trailer is very similar to Rhino's, except it's a tilt instead of a ramp trailer. I have a Harbor Freight wheel chock, but have never actually used it for bikes. I mostly use it to haul mowers, long ladders, anything too big for bed of my truck. Bought it used, along with a riding mower, mower trailer, and tag along seeder for $1,500. Sold the mower a year later for $1,200, so I'm pretty much clear on the other stuff. Craigslist: that's the ticket!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 05:03:07 PM »
If money were no object I would get a drop bed trailer with locking wheel chocks if I were loading by myself.

Offline DucRider

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:04:33 PM »
Kendon....

I Read More than i Post.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:36:26 PM »
Yeah, tilt trailer. Un-tilt it, ride right on, and your weight pushes the front down into the lock. It's not even a wild ride  :-\

You can even do 2 at once. Just make sure the first guy rides on to just short of pushing the front down, and stop and wait there until the 2nd guy rides on. I can't think of a way to make it easy for 1 guy to do 2 bikes, though.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:18:27 AM »

Overkill?  Yes, but my wife deserves it.  I could post boring pics of my single rail, custom lowered version or my aluminum trailer, but they are, well, boring.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 04:48:52 AM »

Overkill?  Yes, but my wife deserves it.  I could post boring pics of my single rail, custom lowered version or my aluminum trailer, but they are, well, boring.

Triple axels, that thing is a monster C! What did you say you were towing it with?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »
The "Little Giant" trailer is a utility trailer made of galvanized steel and is kind of like a pickup bed on wheels.  Only will hold one touring bike but might take two dirt bikes.  It's sold by Northern Tool in a kit but I got mine from a dealer in Milwaukee assembled with options such as the wheel chock.  It has ridden about 8k miles carrying my bike, moved kids apartments, gone camping, done landscape work, etc.  Very versatile.  Here is a link to the company http://www.letsgoaero.com 

Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline clogan

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 07:12:36 AM »
Yeah, tilt trailer. Un-tilt it, ride right on, and your weight pushes the front down into the lock. It's not even a wild ride  :-\

You can even do 2 at once. Just make sure the first guy rides on to just short of pushing the front down, and stop and wait there until the 2nd guy rides on. I can't think of a way to make it easy for 1 guy to do 2 bikes, though.

I've got a pair of 2x12 boards for ramps when I don't want to/can't use the tilt. Got the aluminum end caps on the boards for mounting and securing them. First time I ever loaded a bike on to a trailer, I failed to secure the ramp to the trailer. That did not end well! Dumb!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
Triple axels, that thing is a monster C! What did you say you were towing it with?

Lightly modded F250 Super Duty with the 7.3 smoker.  Border line weight once the bikes are all loaded, and over weight once I fill her up with fuel and water, which will be just before I get wherever I am going.  Sure wish he would get in the title so I can pull her home :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 08:16:53 AM »
I use this wheel chock, works well with the C14:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »
It depends on the trip.

My self converted boat trailer hauls two medium bikes (DRs) or one heavy bike. It is tall however so it's not the best, but it was cheap.

I added a wind wedge (as yet unfinished, still in storage testing mode {aka on hiatus  ;D})

Then there is........

.........my specialty camping unit*:o :nuts:  :yikes:

* 1973 Cox Cadet Camper w/toy hauler modification. ;D

edit: OOPS, sorry TJ, I was responding to the thread title. After I posted I read your original post where you were looking for good trailer recommendations. I can't really recommend any of my trailers to others.

Offline Speedy

• 2012 Black Connie - Black is Beautiful!!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »
Folding Harbor Freight for me, but I'm moving up to a 5x8 enclosed trailer in the fairly near future.  I've found them in my area (GA) new for around $1500 with a V-nose and ramp door.  Add a chock and some d-rings and I'm good to go, fully enclosed. ;D