Author Topic: Screw near the side of my 3 week old tire... possible to plug?  (Read 6654 times)

Offline wtaylorc14

Screw near the side of my 3 week old tire... possible to plug?
« on: February 05, 2019, 07:24:09 AM »
Hi-
I have a 3 week old Michelin on the back of my 14 and I ride about 56 miles each way to work.  This morning, had to cancel work as there was a sheetrock screw about 1 inch from the tire edge on my new tire.  Can I plug this?  I cannot get a new tire right now.  I've plugged tires right in the center and had no issue.  Never close to the edge.  Possible?
2008 ABS C14

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: Screw near the side of my 3 week old tire... possible to plug?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »
As long as it’s still in the tread, I don’t see why not.  Of course, the best and safest repair would be to patch it.  I’ve had new tires that picked up a nail the same day.  I’ve operated it with a plug for almost the life of the tire with no problems. 

Also, you didn’t say whether it’s the front or rear tire.  If it’s the front, I wouldn’t plug it.  I’d patch it or replace it.  Though it’s unlikely, you wouldn’t want that front spitting out a plug at freeway speeds.  If it’s on the rear, you have more air, which means more time, and better control if you should lose pressure. 

Also, regardless of the type of repair you do, I would always have the air pressures displayed on the dash when riding so you can keep better track of any pressure loss. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 12:51:02 PM »
You’ll have to replace. Just like car tires , you can’t repair close to sidewall. Call up Michelin and ask them, they tell whether you can patch it. And when I say patch, that’s patch. Unless things have changed, I know of no tire company that approves of plugs. I keep a plug kit in my bike in case I get a flat in BFE, but that’s it .

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »
New tire? I'd try a plug. As long as the screw didn't enter at some crazy angle.
And a heads up to the previous poster, I tossed my tire monitors in the trash.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 02:37:25 PM »
Any pics of the culprit? How close to the sidewall? Definitely try to plug it and keep the TPMS screen view-able when riding. Like others have mentioned, if its the rear you're better off trying to plug it. Otherwise with the front it's not a good thing when turning. Going to have to suck it up and get a new tire soon.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 03:40:26 PM »
Any pics of the culprit? How close to the sidewall? Definitely try to plug it and keep the TPMS screen view-able when riding. Like others have mentioned, if its the rear you're better off trying to plug it. Otherwise with the front it's not a good thing when turning. Going to have to suck it up and get a new tire soon.
He did say on the back of his 14 so he must mean the rear tire.  As soon as I was reading his post, I was hoping for a picture, too.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:46:41 PM »
Yep, we like pictures :)

If the screw didn't damage any cords, and is not in the sidewall, a patch (which is done from the INSIDE the tire- requires un/remounting) should be perfectly fine.  A plug might be fine too- many have posted for years about a good plug job lasting the life of the tire.  But many don't consider it permanent, like a patch, or as safe as a patch.

Me- I would always worry a plug would fail.  Perhaps it is just my pessimistic outlook on such things.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 06:12:27 PM »
You take a chance with a puncture close to the edge.  One of those sticky ropes will probably hold but I don't think an inside patch will.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline route66tc

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 05:07:41 AM »
If I were going to try to repair it, I would go with something like this.  Best of both worlds. YMMV
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Flate-15-296-Plug-N-Patch-Rubber-Integral/dp/B000CIUOVA

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 07:51:43 AM »
That's what I used in the good ole days in the 70's on car tires.  Never had a call back.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
I think I will get some to carry with me. Sounds like they may come in handy if a plug wont work and a tire cant be had.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 07:14:38 PM »
I'm going to be 'that guy'...I'm almost 45 and have been plugging tires since I was a teenager. Not once have I ever had a plug fail or had a tire issue related to a plug install.  I have also had nail/screws in close proximity to the sidewall, but as has been said, if it's in the tread, go for it. Just like anything else in life, with plugs, you need to use common sense and prep/install properly. My last PR4GT rear had nearly 15k miles on it and 5 plugs. Yep, 5. Two of which were there since the first month it was installed. A job I just recently left was in close proximity to a recycle scrap yard. It was very common to see people pulled over with flat tires within a mile or so of that place.
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 10:07:09 PM »
I'm going to be 'that guy'...I'm almost 45 and have been plugging tires since I was a teenager. Not once have I ever had a plug fail or had a tire issue related to a plug install.  I have also had nail/screws in close proximity to the sidewall, but as has been said, if it's in the tread, go for it. Just like anything else in life, with plugs, you need to use common sense and prep/install properly. My last PR4GT rear had nearly 15k miles on it and 5 plugs. Yep, 5. Two of which were there since the first month it was installed. A job I just recently left was in close proximity to a recycle scrap yard. It was very common to see people pulled over with flat tires within a mile or so of that place.
Five?  Wow!  I’ve never gone with more than two.  I have had one come out, but that was a pretty big hole, not something like a screw.  (I think there are a few easy boys in that response).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 06:57:04 AM »
5 beats me.  I had three plugs in my rear magnetic Indian tire.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 04:07:27 PM »
I've got an old C10 rim and "bald"tire mounted, in my garage, that I used for a "practice" tire, so people could be shown correct procedure for "plugging" with the rubber coated "rope worm" plugs, and also whatever "plugger" they carried..
all of the "punctures" I created in that tire, were made with a cordless drill, and a 1/8" bit, so they were actually "holes" not "nail/screw Punctures"... I went thru 2 dozen "rope/plugs", a half can of "monkey grip tire cement", and also had a half dozen other "plugs" like the pre-glued mini ropes/with tips, and the "stop-n-go" mushroom ones installed.. the only ones that "leaked" were those latter 2 styles, and when replaced (easily pulled right out) with gummy ropes and goobered with glue, they are still holding air... and that demo was in 2007....

granted, I never "ran that tire", but I'm sure when I do pull it off the rim, I won't be able to force ably pull any of those out from inside the carcass... which I attempt on every plugged tire I have ever had, when I end up wearing it out...never could pull one out.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline katata1100

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 08:25:27 AM »
Using a plug can cause damage that can’t be seen. Just because you can’t see the damage doesn’t mean it’s not there.

https://www.carabinshaw.com/amp/unsafe-tire-repair-methods-persist-despite-strong-evidence-of-da.html

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 02:57:20 PM »
 :rotflmao: :popcorn: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I trust a gummy-rubber impregnated rope plug I install, using proper technique, and correctly coated with bonding glue, much more than anything a Smarmy-ambulance-chasing-internet-advertising-ATTORNEY can whip up to get "customers"....

but that's just me... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :stirpot:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »
I don't need no stinkin bonding glue...  Real men do it with just the gummy rope.

Seriously, I've never coated it with glue and they've all held admirably.  They also keep away pink elephants.  Never seen one while using the gummy ropes and no glue.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
Well now that we know who the real sticky rope men are....I've got a question for you both (anybody really)..
...in your vast experience have you noticed any difference in 1) installation ease? 2) sealing ability? 3) longevity of repair?
..between the brown gummy/sticky ropes and the black gummy/sticky ropes?

Don't really care about pink elephants as I have one of those little whistle thingies on my bike designed for deer repelling, doesn't work
on deer but it's excellent for keeping pink elephants away, they are all outta sight before I even come around the corner.

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »
Sorry- been super busy due to falling behind the day I missed work due to the tire.  I did the old sticky rope and rubber cement.  Holding fine, knock on wood.  No leak and holding pressure at 40 psi cold.  Just gonna monitor it.  It was a sheetrock screw that went in about 1 1/2" from the edge and went in at a slight angle.  Thanks for the posts. 
2008 ABS C14