Author Topic: Itching for a new bike  (Read 18228 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Re: Itching for a new bike
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »
I test drove a Trophy quite a number of years ago and I liked it at the time. Just couldn't afford one. The style is change a good bit now.

I met a guy at our local Triumph/Guzi/Ducati dealer one weekend that had a Trophy decked out with everything you could think of for Ironbutt rallies. He had a huge aluminum tank on the back instead of a seat, two or three GPS units, etc. It was crazy, but he was showing us all of the long distance stuff he'd been doing. That tells me that it HAD to be comfy.

I enjoyed the power of my Connie and loved riding it. The buzzy hands bugged me, but I found that my immature side kept coming out and I was having trouble holding the speed down. I never had butt or back problems (Corbin seat) and could ride hundreds of miles in a day without discomfort. But, since the wifey wouldn't "let" me have two bikes, I sold off the Connie and picked up a BMW 1200GS. Completely different ride. It's super comfortable, although it doesn't offer the protection that the Connie did. Of course, that also means that it isn't quite as hot on a summer day in Texas as the Connie was. I have no problems with big miles on the GS (cruise helps!).

Nice! I too have the buzzy hands. I've been riding lately with ECO mode turned off which helps smooth things out some. Not as "buzzy" but still there a little.

The Connie's fairing and custom windscreen cover fairly well but the Trophy covers a bit too well. They say the Trophy could get pretty hot in the cockpit for the rider on hot days (it did win the "road cocoon" award)...probably one of the main drawbacks of that bike. I live in SoCal so that COULD be an issue but I will deal with it when the time comes. I live in an area where 100 - 110 degree summer days are common!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
Doubt you'd be satisfied with the performance of the Trophy

If by performance you mean acceleration, then I agree.  I am not an acceleration junkie and have as much fun on my 250 and V7 as I do on any of my bikes.  If you mean handling at all street speeds, the trophy wins hands down.  It also takes 87 octane and can go further between fill ups.  It is the touring side of sport touring but handles better than my Connie did, even with the larger rear tire.

For those that like to push the limits, It can clearly do that also.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »
If by performance you mean acceleration, then I agree.  I am not an acceleration junkie and have as much fun on my 250 and V7 as I do on any of my bikes.  If you mean handling at all street speeds, the trophy wins hands down.  It also takes 87 octane and can go further between fill ups.  It is the touring side of sport touring but handles better than my Connie with the larger rear tire.

For those that like to push the limits, It can clearly do that also.

YES!!! That's exactly what I was trying to say only you know better than I do because YOU have one now and i don't  :hail:!

That guy in your pic is going to have replace his side bags if he leans over any further :o!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »
That guy in your pic is going to have replace his side bags if he leans over any further :o!

He could glue some knee pucks to them.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 02:05:49 PM »
He could glue some knee pucks to them.

:)
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »
Yes I was talking power on the Trophy. Friend bought one and mentioned when its loaded and its he and his wife, the bike feels way underpowered than his C14 did.

I absolutely love the Trophy myself.

And especially since you mentioned it handles better than the C14. I'd rather have my nimble 600's over my brute strength liter bikes ANY day
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 05:57:13 PM »
Anyone got any idea on what maintenance is like on a Duc? Also considering the duc scrambler now.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 06:03:30 PM »
Anyone got any idea on what maintenance is like on a Duc? Also considering the duc scrambler now.

I suggest you call a dealer and ask.  or see if you can find an online manual.  I hear the new multistrada actually has a pretty nice maintenance interval.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2015, 09:53:12 PM »
Looks like valve inspection every 7500 miles.  Belt (timing I assume) every 2 years. On the triumph, valve check every 12000 miles.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2015, 05:14:42 AM »
Looks like valve inspection every 7500 miles.  Belt (timing I assume) every 2 years. On the triumph, valve check every 12000 miles.

I thought they increased those on the multistrada.  Mmm.

Did you check here?http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

I downloaded the owner's manual and it says check the valves at 30,000 Km

My Concours Travels:

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2015, 08:35:46 PM »
It's the air cooled engine in the scrambler that is 7500 miles. The water cooled ones are 15000 miles.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2015, 09:47:54 PM »

It's the air cooled engine in the scrambler that is 7500 miles. The water cooled ones are 15000 miles.

Which triumph are you talking about?  The Trophy is at 20,000 and it looks like that is it.  They don't show it on the 40,000 mile interval
My Concours Travels:

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2015, 11:13:13 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  Was talking about Ducati Scrambler VA Triumph Scrambler
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »
Sorry for the confusion.  Was talking about Ducati Scrambler VA Triumph Scrambler

Ah.  OK.  Two totally different bikes IMO.  The triumph scrambler tries to replicate the classic with every detail.  Even making the fuel injection look like carbs.  It feels heavy, has very stiff suspension, and you better wear leather pants because it is near impossible to keep your leg off the exhaust guard.  The engine has more character than the Bonneville or thruxton because of the 270 degree crank instead of the 180 degree.

The duc is a modern interpretation of a scrambler.  Wide tires, modern suspension, although a little harsh on bumps.  Handles like a sport bike.

I enjoyed riding the duc more, but the triumph is beautiful.

I don't think most people are going to put enough miles a year on either to make service intervals matter much.

BTW:  I found my Guzzi Cafe Classic while looking for a rashed triumph scrambler that I planned on turning into a thruxton.  That is how much I liked the scrambler engine character.

By one and upgrade the suspension and change the exhaust, and enjoy.
My Concours Travels:

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2015, 07:57:58 AM »
Been checking out both. The engine on the triumph scrambler does sound nice. Have not got a chance to test ride the duc scrambler. But I hear people complain the suspension is a bit too stiff. On the triumph you can install low slung exhaust, which I plan to do if I buy it.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »