Author Topic: city lights  (Read 31981 times)

Offline lonekazoo

Re: city lights
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »
After I installed a 4300K HID kit, I grabbed a set of these to match:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-T10-White-Cree-R5-3W-LED-Reverse-Backup-Light-Bulbs-168-W5W-921-912-906-/111207584209?hash=item19e47d11d1

They're a pretty close match to the HIDs temperature wise (I bought them a while ago, so not positive this auction is for the exact same color temperature).

There was plenty of room for the bulb, they're more directional, and MUCH brighter than the stock bulbs.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 03:32:38 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-T10-White-Cree-R5-3W-LED-Reverse-Backup-Light-Bulbs-168-W5W-921-912-906-/111207584209?hash=item19e47d11d1

They're a pretty close match to the HIDs temperature wise (I bought them a while ago, so not positive this auction is for the exact same color temperature).

There was plenty of room for the bulb, they're more directional, and MUCH brighter than the stock bulbs.

pics of the city lights? pretty please?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
for those who have switched to LED, how long have you been using those bulbs on your bike (or car)?
i've had trouble finding LEDs that lasts, especially when used in smaller housing or next to the headlight such as the city lights on the C14.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2014, 08:32:23 AM »
Bingo! Thanks!  I think this is what I have been waiting for!!! And amber!!!
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/6-a.html  ordering now (15% off everything today, too)

They arrived a few days ago and I installed them last night.  Of course, I wanted a good comparison, so I replaced only the left city light (right in the photo).  You can see the results in the attached photo.  The amber LED from VLEDS is just barely as bright as the incandescent it replaces, and is a bit deeper amber color.  So I just spent $20 and did not give me a brighter light.  The bulb will likely last longer, and it has a nicer color, and it pulls less power- but none of those were my objective.

The good news is this is the very first LED bulb I have seen that is even close to the same light output as the incandescent it is designed to replace.  And it has a good, even light output.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »
pics of the city lights? pretty please?

Here's a side by side comparison of the factory city light (I assume it's the original--I'm the second owner) and the newer LED I'm now using

(My phone camera makes the color temp look blue, but they are pure white, 4300K)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »
I've always wondered what the city lights are for.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 01:19:40 AM »

It seems like nobody really knows for sure.  They are likely primarily used as parking lamps with the headlights off and running lights with the headlights on (note, they do come on before the engine is started on all models).... but so many markets require headlights on all the time it seems generally pointless when the engine is running (they are so small and generally not very visible).  Probably for decoration is another reason they exist.

My belief is they should be changed to amber (which is what I did), then they actually can help to make the front look a little more more conspicuous and offer the desirable "triangle front" effect.  Safety first!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 08:23:41 AM »
It seems like nobody really knows for sure.  They are likely primarily used as parking lamps with the headlights off and running lights with the headlights on (note, they do come on before the engine is started on all models).... but so many markets require headlights on all the time it seems generally pointless when the engine is running (they are so small and generally not very visible).  Probably for decoration is another reason they exist.

My belief is they should be changed to amber (which is what I did), then they actually can help to make the front look a little more more conspicuous and offer the desirable "triangle front" effect.  Safety first!

I agree, but who leaves their bike on and unlocked when parked? I just wonder what Kawasaki was thinking when they added these lights. It would make more sense if there was a locked, rest of the bike off, but city lights only on position for KIPASS.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »

My guess would be for city use.  It's a bonus they work in the country.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 08:12:18 PM »
I agree, but who leaves their bike on and unlocked when parked? I just wonder what Kawasaki was thinking when they added these lights. It would make more sense if there was a locked, rest of the bike off, but city lights only on position for KIPASS.

It might have something to do with certain other countries' regulations and how it is wired and used there.   I don't know.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »
Quote from: maxtog on November 01, 2014, 01:15:04 pm

Bingo! Thanks!  I think this is what I have been waiting for!!! And amber!!!
    http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/6-a.html  ordering now (15% off everything today, too)
Quote from: maxtog on November 01, 2014, 01:15:04 pm

[...]The good news is this is the very first LED bulb I have seen that is even close to the same light output as the incandescent it is designed to replace.  And it has a good, even light output.

Looks like they have a newer version now too:  http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/6-hv.html  which are $5 more and they claim are even brighter.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »
I switched to these:
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/6-6k.html
OEM on the left.  One pic in shade and the other in direct sunlight.

Also replace dome lights in my Mustang with these, huge difference.
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/5k-4-hpf.html

How long have they lasted, or are the still burning?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2015, 11:02:12 AM »

Thanks, giving these a try.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2015, 06:02:31 AM »
These are the brightest city lights on the market. I received them with
my SOCALMOTO HID system. They are extremely bright and are good
quality!

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/207-466

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
Here is a pic of my vleds hi viz led city lights

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 11:56:57 AM »
Did you intend to purchase yellow city lights? if not, the city lights I posted
are bright white

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
Here is a pic of my vleds hi viz led city lights

Wow- those appear to be MUCH brighter than the ones I bought from VLED's.  Of course, it is really not possible to know how bright something is in a photo- only how bright it is compared to something else in a photo.

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 09:21:36 PM »
Wow- those appear to be MUCH brighter than the ones I bought from VLED's.  Of course, it is really not possible to know how bright something is in a photo- only how bright it is compared to something else in a photo.
the are bright but not extremely and they are the newer version from vleds,they were on back order since April  24 I just got them monday.here is another pic of the lights on before I start the bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »
the are bright but not extremely and they are the newer version from vleds,they were on back order since April  24 I just got them monday.here is another pic of the lights on before I start the bike.

I can't believe how much brighter they seem.  I really wish you had a photo of one old and one new in the bike at the same time... that would tell me for sure.

elp_jc

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2015, 12:01:12 AM »
I can't believe how much brighter they seem.
Me neither. Bought mine not long ago, and are NOTHING like that, especially the color. They're a washed-out amber color, almost white. It'd be nice if Bigfraid posted the exact P/N (and a photo of the bulb, if possible), or the link to the bulb, so people know what to order. I ordered some normal true amber bulbs from superbrightLEDs, and one crapped out after one ride. Bought 3, so the spare is in place now. If another craps out, will just put a pair of incandescent amber ones and call it a day.