Author Topic: Stebel Nautilus horn installation instructions  (Read 35299 times)

Offline jonathan

Re: Stebel Nautilus horn installation instructions
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 09:04:18 AM »
The charcoal canister is only on California bikes and it is removeable, should you wish to do so.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »
I finally mounted the horn.  After much analysis, I agree with the others- there really is no great place to mount it.  Further, the only place at all appears to be under the right fairing.  Fortunately, although it was a nightmare getting all the panels off, mounting it was a piece of cake!  I just happened to have a perfect mounting bar of metal.  I drilled a hole in one of the triangular fairing support brackets and used a bolt there to hold a strong bar.  It it fairly straight, but with a slight tilt.  It holds the horn in just the right position.  I have attached three hi-res pictures for those trying to imitate.

I did use the optional wiring kit, which was very high quality and made things easier.  I did modify that harness to keep the stock horn enabled, which I like as a backup or just even more sound.  The magnetic horn enabled is also nice when you have to perform a micro-beep for times you need to remind someone of a light... if you are fast enough, you get a beep from the magnetic before the air horn can wind up.  Perfect!

OMG, the Nautilus Compact is a LOUD horn.... especially when mounted this way (because the trumpets are pretty much aimed AT YOURSELF!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline scgoan

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 07:15:02 AM »
I finally mounted the horn.  After much analysis, I agree with the others- there really is no great place to mount it. 

I'm just curious, with the horn installed there, does the horn blast you more than the cars around you and is it muffled with all of the plastic around it? I installed the Stebel where with original horn was installed and I'm really happy with the installation.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »
I'm just curious, with the horn installed there, does the horn blast you more than the cars around you and is it muffled with all of the plastic around it? I installed the Stebel where with original horn was installed and I'm really happy with the installation.

Yes, it is very loud to the owner.  And yes, I believe the performance (loudness) of the horn suffers behind the fairing.  But the sound does make it out of the top and bottom of the bike, which are both open.... overall, it is still many times louder than the stock horn.  I do think forming a baffle to direct the sound down would be helpful.  I haven't figured out how to do that quite yet.

I concluded it is not possible to safely mount the horn at the stock location given the size of the horn, the mounting restrictions (must be almost vertical) and the movement of the suspension...  especially with my bike lowered 1".  I also believe the horn would suffer severe weathering in that location.  Plus, I wanted to retain the magnetic horn as a backup and a micro-beep.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline scgoan

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 02:34:08 PM »
I concluded it is not possible to safely mount the horn at the stock location given the size of the horn, the mounting restrictions (must be almost vertical) and the movement of the suspension...  especially with my bike lowered 1".  I also believe the horn would suffer severe weathering in that location.  Plus, I wanted to retain the magnetic horn as a backup and a micro-beep.

I used and modified (shortened) the original mounting bracket and even if shocks were completely compressed the horn would clear the fender. In addition, the horn is in a vertical position due to the way I mounted the horn to the bracket. Finally, I believe the horn is pretty well weatherproof. I don't think I would want to submerge it in water, but I'm definitely not worried about it getting damaged due to some rain. I can't imagine the manufacturer didn't take weather into account when he/she made a motorcycle horn.   

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »
Can you provide pics of your install?
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline scgoan

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »
Yes, I'll take some more pictures. I posted some pictures on another thread, however, they weren't very good pictures. I had a difficult time getting my DSLR camera focus properly in that tight space. I'm going to unbolt the horn and take some more pictures of the bracket and how I cut it short. Then, I'll use my daughter's compact "point and shoot" camera to take some pictures of it installed. No promises on the quality, though. I'll try and do this tonight, but if not, I'll get to it tomorrow.

Offline scgoan

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
Just for further explanation, here is what I posted on June 10th: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=639.msg16793#msg16793 "I just finished installing the Stebel Nautilus horn and wire harness from BikerHiway. I have a California model with the evaporative emission control canister under the right panel, where others have installed the horn. I decided to mount the horn where the existing horn was mounted, using the original mounting bracket from the old horn. I trimmed roughly an inch off the bracket using my angle grinder. Then, I drilled a new hole in the bracket, just below the bottom of the "U." As you can see in the picture, I didn't use the intended horizontal mounting (where the bolt would be going horizontal rather than vertical). So I enlarged the hole on the top of the horn, so that the bracket would be installed on the top of the horn. The horn just clears the radiator. As you probably noticed, I'm having a difficult time explaining how I mounted the horn. I also had a difficult time taking pictures after the install. I really like where it is mounted. I highly recommend the plug-n-play wiring harness. For $20.00 it's well worth it. Love this horn!!!"

As you can see in one of the pictures, the horn clears the fender, even if the shocks were completely compressed. In addition, the horn is vertical, as required by the installation instructions.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »

As you can see in one of the pictures, the horn clears the fender, even if the shocks were completely compressed.

I hope you are correct, but it doesn't look that way to me.  Neither in your picture, or when I hold my currently unmounted
Stebel up on my connie. It looks like a full fork compression will drive it right into the radiator. I guess I need to mount it or
clamp it up there and actually do some measuring. Thanks for the extra pictures and explanation.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »
I hope you are correct, but it doesn't look that way to me.  Neither in your picture, or when I hold my currently unmounted Stebel up on my connie. It looks like a full fork compression will drive it right into the radiator. I guess I need to mount it or clamp it up there and actually do some measuring.

That was my fear also.  I measured many times and it seemed impossible, especially since my bike is already lowered.  I just didn't want to take the chance.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »
I agree.  I spent a lot of time trying to find a better place to mount mine.  No way did I see how it could have worked at the top of the radiator. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline scgoan

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
Well, I'm glad to be the test subject. I'll let you all know if my horn gets smashed into my radiator. :yikes:

Offline Gsun

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 11:10:14 PM »
I just installed the Nautilus's bigger brother, Stebel "Compact Truck Horn" on my 2010. No pics though. Much deeper tone than the Compact Nautilus. The downside is it's physical size.

I installed it on the right side, under the upper fairing. I used two stainless, rubber insulated clamps to hold a short piece of aluminun bar stock to the fairing support tubes. It's located as far to the rear as I could get it and above the intake duct.
As to wiring...i ran a 15a fused 14 awg, pair of wires from the battery box to the relay/horn and a pair of wires from the stock horn with double blade adapters to the coil side of the relay. The stocker works in conjuction with the Stebel.

This one sounds at 300 Hz. http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=17&uso=&tipologia=TUNING

I have been looking for a place on the net to buy this and can't come up with anything. Where did you get it? All I can find is the smaller one or a place in Australia that wants AU$38.00 for shipping!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 05:42:54 AM »
I have been looking for a place on the net to buy this and can't come up with anything. Where did you get it? All I can find is the smaller one or a place in Australia that wants AU$38.00 for shipping!

I am not sure.  But I did want the compact one- not just for the size, but also because it is two tone.  The one, above, is only a single tone.  However, that one does have the advantage that the trumpet is down firing instead of front firing, making it even better for inside-fairing mounting (if it will fit).

Offline martindf

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 06:20:31 AM »
I just installed this horn the way that was noted here inside the right side and its works fine and a nice install.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 09:04:08 PM »
I just installed this horn the way that was noted here inside the right side and its works fine and a nice install.

I had a chance to use it for real today, for the first time.  It was effective.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 05:00:23 PM »
Seems this horn would blow our own eardrums into our brains, no?  I still haven't the hang of this sport-touring thing, even though i just completed an 8,000 mile trip.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
Seems this horn would blow our own eardrums into our brains, no? 

Nah, it isn't THAT bad.  The important thing is you (the operator of it) are prepared for the blast (and wearing a helmet).  Just as much sound goes down as up, too.    Or you can be adventurous and mount it the RoadKingX way and get full forward effect instead.

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 05:48:50 AM »
Believe it or not I have dual horns on my bike. They are installed using the screw on each side for the front turn signals.