Author Topic: First Ride Review BMW R1200R  (Read 2821 times)

Offline eng943

First Ride Review BMW R1200R
« on: February 27, 2018, 04:47:11 PM »
Finally an early spring day gift in Chicago!  - What a gosh awful place to live, especially if you like motorcycling.

Anyway, I got my new R1200R out today for the first time, and thought I would share my observations. It's a 2017 with cruise control, Dynamic ESA, quick shift, heated grips. Some other less significant goodies.

Engine: The liquid cooled boxer is a gem. Power delivery and fueling is very smooth. There is a ton of torque, and plenty of power. I am still breaking it in of course, so nothing over 4K, but past demo rides, I have launched the front wheel into the air on upshifts. The new boxer is plenty powerful, and very smooth.

Braking: Superb Brembo brakes, with great initial bite and amazing feel. Not grabby, but very well calibrated. This is the way brakes should feel and perform.

Suspension: I kept in Road and did not experiment in Dynamic. However in Road it was very comfortable and soaked up the potholes and frost heaves really well. In fact, it does so noticeably better than my C14. The R handles superbly....a virtue partially from being about 500lbs, but the suspension is nicely tuned and with the ESA offers the flexibility of different settings.

Ergonomics: Some good and some not so good for me. I really like the wide bars and reach, etc. However, the legroom is a bit cramped. I'll need to address that. Seat is so-so, which is about my assessment of all stock seats to varying degrees. There is little wind protection from the sport screen that came with the bike, but it's actually not problematic until around 80 mph. I'll need to investigate a shield with a bit more torso protection. Overall though a very comfortable bike. I could do a 500 mile day on it with no problem.

Transmission: Clutch pull is very light, the quick shift works seamlessly, and gear changes are very smooth. Throws might be a touch longer than on my C14.

Looks: I personally think it's a sharp bike with the blue frame, and white tank. The wheels are grey, which I think might look better in another color. All personal taste.

Versatility: So, you can get hard bags, umpteen windscreens, it has cruise control, nice range, handles superbly, is relatively light, and if so inclined, it could be taken to track days. It's really versatile is a simpler way of saying it.

Hope you enjoyed. I really like this bike. It does so many things, and all of them pretty well.                       
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: First Ride Review BMW R1200R
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:03:57 PM »
All that and no pics?  ;)

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:55:48 PM »
↑ ↑ ↑ What he said!!! ↑ ↑ ↑
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 07:30:01 AM »
Finally an early spring day gift in Chicago!  - What a gosh awful place to live, especially if you like motorcycling.                   

One of the reasons that I left. It's nice to visit however.

I'm still green with envy. So, how does this fit in your stable? I mean how do you determine what to ride where?
I'm not trying to be a smart ass (well, not this time  ;) ) but your 3 bikes*, although I'm sure they seem quite different to you, are essentially in the same niche so to speak.

edit: * just reread your signature line again, you traded in the K16? ..and yeah a picture when you can get around to it would be nice.

Note to me "DUH".  :banghead: :nuts:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:53:15 PM by fartymarty »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 12:50:26 PM »
Thanks MOB, clearly I havn't been keeping up around here nor with my familiarity of BMW equipment, it makes more sense now.