Author Topic: Onboard computer display mod  (Read 41233 times)

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
Onboard computer display mod
« on: January 28, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »
This mod is for the 2007 - 2009 models. The later models have this functionality already available.

This mod places a switch on the handlebars, making it easier to cycle the onboard display.

This info was somewhat lost during the server crash here, so hopefully this will help.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Onboard computer display mod
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »
This is great, excellent tutortial. Thanks! But soldering that is a little scary. I will practice on an old IC board before I try it!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:58 PM »
Nice , this will be my next mod thanks for the idea :hail: :hail: :hail:,( is that yellow light  in your tach meter for the ABS?), but the way i will mount the switch is in the same box where i mount the switch for my driving LED lights, check the pictures

And here is the same switch after waterproof i will mount a push switch at the front side so it will be under the horn switch

I have no problem soldering , i allready have some work done to the cluster, this is the way it looks after i changed the lights color
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
Excellent!  Totally worthy!  :thumbs: :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

ang

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »
I have been looking for this mod and knew it was around somewhere. Finally, Thank you!

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »
Nice , this will be my next mod thanks for the idea,( is that yellow light  in your tach meter for the ABS?)

Aye, it is for the ABS. Goes off once you hit a certain speed.

I'll probably end up putting a switch in the main housing near the flash to pass switch.

ang

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »
I remember that some were using the flash to pass switch for this mod.

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
I remember that some were using the flash to pass switch for this mod.

Did think about that, but I do tend to use the flash to pass switch

ang

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
Basic question alert! So coming off  the switch, the green wire goes to the  ground and the grey to the soldered wire from the display. Is that correct?

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
Basic question alert! So coming off  the switch, the green wire goes to the  ground and the grey to the soldered wire from the display. Is that correct?

Yup, that's correct.

Edit: although it doesn't matter which way the go. As long as one connects to the soldered wire and the other to earth.

ang

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
Thanks!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 05:38:22 PM »
Did think about that, but I do tend to use the flash to pass switch

I am guessing it shouldn't be too difficult to have it serve both purposes, simultaneously.  Of course, with such a mod, you would have to be careful when you want to use it :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
Nicely done LF3!  8) :thumbs:

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:31:58 PM »
Awesome "how to."  Thanks for all the great pictures and info!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 08:06:24 AM »
One of the problems with the FTP (Flash to Pass) switch is that in heavy rain it actuates the high beams by itself.  Anyone looking at this switch used by Kwak would be horrified as to how it's put together.  One needs to slather it with dielectric grease to keep it functional in heavy rain as the housing is not very waterproof.  I don't know if it's been improved in the 10 models on up but with the 08/09s it has this problem.

We get a question every so often on that phenomenon every so often.  For that reason, I wouldn't use it and instead go with an after market waterproof switch of some sort.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »
One of the problems with the FTP (Flash to Pass) switch is that in heavy rain it actuates the high beams by itself.  Anyone looking at this switch used by Kwak would be horrified as to how it's put together.  One needs to slather it with dielectric grease to keep it functional in heavy rain as the housing is not very waterproof.  I don't know if it's been improved in the 10 models on up but with the 08/09s it has this problem.

We get a question every so often on that phenomenon every so often.  For that reason, I wouldn't use it and instead go with an after market waterproof switch of some sort.

I have heard of that problem Jim but have never had it happen on mine, despite how much heavy rain I've ridden through. I have a 2009 and wonder if they had fixed the issue by the time they made mine. It seems that the majority of my long trips have included rain of Biblical proportion and often have animals crowding two by two around my bike at rest stops.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
You're lucky then, about the switch, not the animals.  I took my switch apart once to grease up the FTP and it hasn't happened since.  My switch had huge blobs of solder.  Whomever put that together knew nothing about soldering.  Probably the same twit that aimed my headlights.

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
I own my 09 for 1 year and did ride it for 10K  some times during heavy rain during summer here in south Florida and never have that kind of problem with the FTP switch
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline marku8a

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 02:25:43 PM »
Looks like a great Mod! I will be doing this now that I see how simple it is.

If anyone finds a switch they like, I sure would like to hear about it.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
I think in the old forum someone came up with a weatherproof push button switch.  We'll have to keep looking if that's what you want although the switch outlined here is fine as well.