Author Topic: My Cafe Bike Tire Options  (Read 1485 times)

Offline sport rider

My Cafe Bike Tire Options
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »
one of the last steps is new rubber for the project.  I have a ZRX1100 front end and meanstreak rear.  that means running 17 inches front and back.  having some experience with this setup, I'm going to run a 120/70 on the front and a 170/60 on the back

Being a typically frugal Concours rider, cheaper is always better when it comes to price.  in my shopping, I've found 3 options which are all within an acceptable price range.  Looking for any opinions you might have.

Shinko 009 Ravens.  I've run shinkos before on other bikes.  Triumph tt600, Honda Superhawk and Suzuki VX800.  While they tend to get a bad rap, I have found them to be just fine for sporty backroad riding and even ran them once with the TT600 on a track day.

Conti Motions.  No experience with them.  Reviews show them to be good, but just slightly questionable in wet.

Metzler SportTec M5.  been around for about 10 years now, so the technology might be a bit dated, but reviews appear to show it to be a good option.  I used Metzler Roadtecs on my VF750 many years ago.

Again, price is pretty comparable.  I'm leaning toward the Metzler.  Anyone with constructive thoughts?

Offline connie_rider

Re: My Cafe Bike Tire Options
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 07:43:32 AM »
Several of us went to the Dunlop Roadsmart II's on our C-14's.
Dunlop re-introduced them awhile back at about $200 a set.
Supposedly, the II's are updated to the Roadsmart III rubber compound.
Was a heck of a deal and handle well.
If available in you size, well worth looking at.

I'll do a check and see if I can find that info.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline connie_rider

Re: My Cafe Bike Tire Options
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:02:11 AM »
Checked information, sizes and price..
  The new II's do use the III compound..
  They are offered in the sizes you want.
  Price for a pair at Revzilla is currently about $170/closeout.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dunlop-roadsmart-2-tires?utm_source=rtbhouse&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=rtbhouse-retargeting

Here is info from Dunlop.
https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/roadsmart-ii/

Hope this helps,
Ride safe, Ted