Author Topic: Audi Ducati Merger is a done deal  (Read 4199 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Audi Ducati Merger is a done deal
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
http://www.insideline.com/audi/audi-buys-ducati-for-11-billion.html

Just the Facts:
•Audi, the premium arm of the Volkswagen Group, has agreed to purchase Ducati, the Italian superbike maker, for a reported $1.1 billion.
•The acquisition of Ducati, from the Italian private-equity firm Investindustrial, gives the VW group a 12th brand in a broad transportation portfolio that now ranges from two-wheelers to ultra-luxury and -performance cars and even heavy-duty trucks.
•The deal makes Audi the chief custodian of VW's ever-expanding portfolio of Italian firms — a collection that also includes Lamborghini and Italdesign Giugiaro.

INGOLSTADT, Germany — Audi, the premium arm of the Volkswagen Group, has agreed to purchase Ducati, the Italian superbike maker, for a reported $1.1 billion.

In a brief statement Wednesday, Audi said the VW supervisory board approved the deal, the logic of which has been criticized by a number of European auto analysts.

The acquisition of Ducati, from the Italian private-equity firm Investindustrial, gives the VW group a 12th brand in a broad transportation portfolio that now ranges from two-wheelers to ultra-luxury and performance cars and even heavy-duty trucks.

Reuters said analysts have questioned the deal, saying it makes little economic sense and "solely reflects VW Chairman Ferdinand Piech's passion for the Italian company." Besides Piech, notable Ducati owners include actors Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise.

The official press release quoted Audi Chairman Rupert Stadler as saying: "Ducati is known worldwide as a premium brand among motorcycle manufacturers and has a long tradition of building sporty motorcycles. It has great expertise in high-performance engines and lightweight construction, and is one of the world's most profitable motorcycle manufacturers. That makes Ducati an excellent fit for Audi."

It also makes Audi the chief custodian of VW's ever-expanding portfolio of Italian firms — a collection that also includes Lamborghini and Italdesign Giugiaro.

Founded in 1926 in Bologna, Ducati began making motorcycles in 1949 and currently operates manufacturing plants near its headquarters and in Thailand. Last year, it built and sold around 42,000 bikes, generating revenue of about $630 million.

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

Re: Audi Ducati Merger is a done deal
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ugocon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »
At first, as an Italian, I've been shocked by this news... :o
Another bit of our troubled Country that's gone!  :-\
But after I realized that Ducati has been for a long time in American hands... and no one complained.
Moreover, in this global world these things happen every day, if not every hour, and hit every corner of the planet.
I don't want to enter into a political, socio-economic debate  ;), so I'll only say that I'm sure that the brand Ducati, despite the owners, will keep high the value and the power of Italian mechanics (and now also electronics... ;)) that made bikers all over the world drool for listening, seeing and in the end owning a red Ducati (yellow, white, black as well...  ;) )

My brother has a Monster and a ST4 in his garage!  :)

Anyway, always better in European hands that in Chinese ones!  ::)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »

No doubt.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:36:06 PM »
This is great news for both companies. 

Not horrid news like when Hardly-Ableson "tried" to own MV Augusta lmfao
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:56:52 PM »
Averaging $15K a pop.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Son of Pappy

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 06:18:28 AM »
They didn't ruin Lamborghini and Audi got the R8 outta that deal, so I think it'll be OK with them having ownership of Ducati. Hopefully, that'll give the guys there more freedom for development of new tech without the huge burden of debt weighing over their heads...

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
At first, as an Italian, I've been shocked by this news... :o
Another bit of our troubled Country that's gone!  :-\
But after I realized that Ducati has been for a long time in American hands... and no one complained.
Moreover, in this global world these things happen every day, if not every hour, and hit every corner of the planet.
I don't want to enter into a political, socio-economic debate  ;), so I'll only say that I'm sure that the brand Ducati, despite the owners, will keep high the value and the power of Italian mechanics (and now also electronics... ;)) that made bikers all over the world drool for listening, seeing and in the end owning a red Ducati (yellow, white, black as well...  ;) )

My brother has a Monster and a ST4 in his garage!  :)

Just yesterday I parked my 1400GTR next to a Panigale on the helmet shop. That bike is amazing, and now that Ducati is in German hands, it looks even better. In a romantic way, it's the last "true" Ducati. Not in a bad sense because Audi did good things for Lambo, though.
A friend of mine had an interview for the tire department within Lamborghini last year. The guy interviewing him worked in Ferrari before, and at the question from my friend as to which one did better cars, the guy said that right now Lambos are in front of Ferrari in terms of quality. Since these cars are bought with the heart, not the brain (like a 911), and the emotional factor has not been touched by Audi, I'd say it's a win-win situation both for the company and the customers.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
Yeah... and now many of the Panigales are smoking like a train at start-up. Whoops.

Fretka (who is blessed with owning a REAL Duc, 999R)!
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14