Author Topic: Sidestand shortening  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Runner

Sidestand shortening
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:33:15 PM »
I recently lowered my '09 Concours by using the ZX14R dogbones. Near as I can tell it's about 1" lower. I would really like to shorten the sidestand for a little more lean. For those of you that have done this; how much did you shorten it and where did you make the cut so the foot will still be flat on the ground? As you can see, I'm new to this site and new to the Concours and will appreciate the input.

Offline connie_rider

Re: Sidestand shortening
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
I lowered mine 1" and did same to side stand and center stand.

By the way; I bought used stands on Ebay and modified them.
If I ever opt to go back to full length, I have the originals ready to install...

Another option for the side stand is to just heat and bend it a little.
If you don't lake the angle heat and bend back..

PS" Tell me a bit more about which ZX-14R dog bones to buy.
       I lowered mine using Muzzy Links.
       Others have mentioned the ZX-14 links, some reported they lowered too much or couldn't find the correct dog bones..

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:05:55 AM by connie_rider »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »
I would be cautious about taking the temper out of the skinnyass side stand.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »

Or cutting off the foot, leaving just a tiny, sharp, round peg to stab through the pavement as the bike falls over.
Getting an adjustable kickstand isn't super cheap, but it works very well.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:35:44 PM »
Just don't remove too much. Make sure you keep track of the foot angle, and find a welder that knows what he's doing. Don't cut on it before handing the stand to your welder. There's a bit more to it than you would think.
I did my Wife's bike, and after some grinding and paint, it looked like it came that way.  8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »

Gary may have a point.
In my case, I bent the stand on my C-10 when I lowered it.
Bike was too low so I raised the bike back up and re-straightened the stand.
No problem's since doing that..

NOTE: I heated and bent the stand near the foot. (Not at the top)
          Less stress on the bent/re-straightened area by doing it this way..

Offline Runner

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:47:18 AM »
Sure do appreciate all the responses and advice. As far as I could tell all the ZX14R stock dogbones were the same. I think the ones I bought were 2010 or so. With shipping I paid $13.00 for them. Very easy to install once I quit trying to reinvent the wheel. As for the centerstand, at 6'1" and 155 pounds, I promise you the rear wheel MUST be rolled up on a 2"x 6" board to pull it up. No big deal to me. As an old BMW Airhead rider we all had ride-off stands and carried a board in case of a flat.
I have an extra sidestand on the way, so will try the mod on that one. Don't really need a lot more lean, so will probably go the bend route.
Thanks again.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »
Why the need to lower the bike at 6'1" and whatever lbs? Hmmm...Unless it's all torso and not enough legs?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »
Why the need to lower the bike at 6'1" and whatever lbs? Hmmm...Unless it's all torso and not enough legs?

That is a good question.

My estimation is that one needs probably a 32" inseam to comfortably dual flat-foot a C14.  I have unusually short legs for my height (27.5" inseam vs. 5'7").  To be 6'1" and have less than 31" inseam would be extremely disproportional... but I suppose it is possible.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Runner

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 04:33:53 PM »
I actually have 34-35 inseam, not to criticize the C-14, it feels top heavy to me. That in addition to having hands/wrists pinned together, lower in my case is better.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
I actually have 34-35 inseam, not to criticize the C-14, it feels top heavy to me.

It *is* top-heavy.   So that is accurate, whether it is meant as a criticism or not :)  Once moving over 5-10mph, most of that feeling disappears, though.

That in addition to having hands/wrists pinned together, lower in my case is better.

Ergonomics is a strange thing and can vary much from person-to-person.  Most of the time, lowering is only about short legs.  It is interesting to see other reasons appear (even if they do seem rare).

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 05:21:41 AM »
Agree with Maxtog that the top-heavy feeling diminishes rapidly with motion. Decent tires also help. Still puzzled by the "hands/wrists pinned together". I don't suppose we are talking about being in handcuffs? You'd be the first forum member with pics at the post office. :)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 06:33:41 AM »
...To be 6'1" and have less than 31" inseam would be extremely disproportional... but I suppose it is possible.

I'm 6'0" and have a 30.5" inseam.  Must be disproportional - I have to buy Tall shirts, and shorten my pants...  ::)

I have the Muzzys links, and have dropped the front to match, and have been planning on shortening the stands as well...  For 2 years now...  No shop here, and whenever the weather's nice enough to work on the bike outside, I find myself riding rather than wrenching...  Just have to be careful where I park.  About half the streets around here are "crowned" too much to park on the side of the street, unless I park facing the wrong direction...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 07:36:38 AM »
I'm 6'0" and have a 30.5" inseam.  Must be disproportional -

Wow, we are certainly in the same category, then.  Thanks for sharing.  You are considerably more "abnormal" (disproportional) than me  :)   But at least you wouldn't HAVE to lower everything (and use thickened boots) just to ride the C14, like I did.... but it would still make it more appropriate for you (where I end up with something just barely usable).

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
I'm 5'-9" and {not counting the belly} reasonably proportioned.
I was ok with the bike at stock height, but uncomfortable with the height/weight when the wife rode with me.
Lowered mine 1" {with Muzzy's} and glad I did.

If he right, and the ZX-14 and/or ZX-14R dogbones are the correct length, this is easily doable by anyone..

Ride safe, Ted