Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 134211 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2016, 08:12:02 AM »
What about bikes without secondary butterflies removed? I currently have a PCV on my '08.
We early adopters are sol...unless you put the flies back in....and go to single side exhaust. We're to small of market for the work Steve would have to invest. Understandable.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »
We early adopters are sol...unless you put the flies back in....and go to single side exhaust. We're to small of market for the work Steve would have to invest. Understandable.

I have zero complaints about the way my bike runs. As far as I can tell, I have no "twitchy throttle" issues, no hesitation, no flat spots, nada. But, as always, better performance is always better.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »
Ok, in contemplating this flash, what is involved in removing the ECU and what must be shipped to Steve?
Is there somewhere I missed directions for removal and shipping?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »
Ok, in contemplating this flash, what is involved in removing the ECU and what must be shipped to Steve?

pm me your email, I'll send you the info.

You can also PM me through my site. in the sig line. steve

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »

pm me your email, I'll send you the info.

You can also PM me through my site. in the sig line. steve

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2016, 11:22:53 AM »
PM sent. Thanks!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2016, 04:29:25 PM »

It took me all of 5 minutes yesterday when I took mine out to ship to Steve. The longest part was unscrewing the 4 bolts that hold in the tool kit. :chugbeer:

P.S: the packaging of the ecu actually took the longest. I expect a rant from Steve on here shortly about my Russian nesting doll approach to keeping it secure and out of harm. lol!
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »
It took me all of 5 minutes yesterday when I took mine out to ship

Yep, when I took mine out years ago to send to Ghul for flashing, it took about 5 minutes.  Easy as 3.14 (Pi :) )  It is probably one of the easiest mods ever, and most important too.  (Although in my case, all the lowering stuff was a higher priority).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »
     Last week I flashed a bike, in my shop, for a member of this forum. He was the perfect guy for it too...long time rider, former Moto racer, and currently he raced cars with EFI so he knows the ins and outs of EFI tuning. I'm hoping he posts up here, but from what he told me he knew in the first 300 feet out of my driveway that there was a considerable change in the way the engine ran.

That would be me.  It has been crazy since returning from vacation, so here goes with my impressions of this Flash.

The first thing I noticed is the bike starts slightly quicker and you will smell raw fuel for a few seconds.  Once you start to roll at up to about 1500RPM the same old mild mannered C14.  From there it smoothly transitions to a much noticeably stronger pull at 2000 RPM.  Between 2500 and 3000 RPM the motor is pulling like it used to at 4000 to 4500 prior to the flash. 

When you first bring it through the low end of the rev range you will immediately notice how crisp and clean the bike will be running. 

From there grab a handful from 4000 to 10,000 you will find the front end rises higher and you will lean forward more....because you have to.  The extra 14 HP or 10% here is worth the price of this tune by itself.

Since I normally ride "The Pace" in twisties I went for the "New Map" with controlled deceleration. The first time you chop the throttle from high up in the revs you notice the SMOOOOOTH transition to deceleration.  No more slamming you forward and the deceleration pops ( My bike was ridiculous with that feature ) but rather a consistent smooth controlled deceleration.  So smooth in fact it makes you question the need for a slipper clutch.

The last thing you will notice is fuel economy.  I ran from Daytona to Tampa to get this flash done.  I used 3.8 gallons when I fueled back up in Tampa.  The dashboard said I was doing 41.8MPG and I was USING THE ECONOMY MODE.  After Steve did the flash I rode the exact same route, hammering the throttle a little harder trying out the new flash, and on the return trip I used 3.2 Gallons and the dashboard read 44.1 MPG.  I NEVER USED ECONOMY MODE on the return trip.

In conclusion the bike now pulls much harder from about 1800 RPM through redline but does it smoothly.  It decelerates in a more controlled fashion with no popping which allows you to use the engine as a means of slowing rather than just the brakes.  And it gets noticeable better gas mileage.  The last benefit is the general smoothness both accelerating and decelerating makes the bike again noticeably less tiring to ride.  Steve has achieved a number of things the average "Race Tuner" doesn't even consider namely increased performance and efficiency along with greatly improved drivability/rideability.

For 8 years the first modification new C14 riders are urged to make is swapping to better rubber and trashing the OEM tires.  I am telling you Steve's flash is now the first thing anybody should do to a C14 .....because Kawasaki could have done it this way and didn't. 

The last thing you will notice is Steve is one hell of a nice guy and he gives a **** about what he does and wants it right by you guys.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2016, 06:03:09 PM »
Blue, are you running stock exhaust?

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2016, 04:15:22 AM »
Blue, are you running stock exhaust?

Stock with Vance and Hines slip on.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2016, 05:19:25 PM »

Well, finally the wait is over. Sent my ECU to Steve the week before Christmas and he promptly returned it, but when it arrived back to central Kansas where I live, it was too cold to want to either put it back in the bike in an unheated garage or if I did it was too cold to ride and the roads were covered in ice and snow. Finally, today we caught a break in the weather and I installed the ECU and took the bike for a short ride. The only problem was that the only road with any curves within 100 miles of home had been heavily sanded when the snow was on the ground and no rain to wash the roads clean, but after going through the short set of curves a couple of times I figured out where there was sand and where it was clean, so I got a little experience with the flash. I did not get the flash with the added decal. Steve had just come out with it and called to offer it to me as an alternative before he flashed the ECU but I declined because there wasn't any comment about the decal flash yet since he had just finished it. First I've got to say that I immediately noticed how smooth the bike was after the flash. I drove to a large empty parking lot and did figure 8's at idle and was amazed. It is sooooooo smooth and picking up the throttle off of idle no longer had the herky jerky that had been there with the OEM flash. The change is amazing. I didn't have much of an opportunity to try it out at over 4000 rpm's  because of the sand in the corners and short straights to the next corner. Getting to the corners I did wring it out a little bit and felt that the acceleration above 4000 was even greater than stock. Also, I got a chance to pass other vehicles one or two times and deliberately did not down shift. Acceleration in those circumstances was also noticeably greater.

One last comment. Steve's customer service is far above and beyond what you would ever expect. The shipping time for my ECU to get to Steve initially was slower than he and I expected, I suspect because I sent it just before Christmas. He called me and emailed several times to keep my updated about it's arrival. I can't say enough good things about him. He's the greatest customer service representative any business could have.

Is it worth the cost?  You bet. It is a real improvement in the way the bike handles. Am I satisfied with the amount of engine decal since I didn't get the newest flash with more decal? I think so. I tried downshifting going into the corners and thought it was good and I'm afraid that more engine decal might take away from the smoothness. When I go to Arkansas the last week of April and first week of May, I'll post again if it changes my mind. Steve offered a reduced price to reflash to the decal program if I decide I want it. Right now I doubt I will send it back, but we will see.

My ECU had already been flashed by Guhl and I think this flash is noticeably better. Great improvement and a great guy to work with.

Fork

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »
Nice weather and decided to take the bike out for a spin..  Peppy as all get out, even in the higher gears.  I'm liking this.  What I would like to do is ride another gen1 (gen2 simply not worth it) and compare.  Maybe I'll set a ride in April or May and host a lunch or something..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2016, 02:15:03 PM »
You head west...I'll head east and we can have a north/south shootout.  8)

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »
Nice weather and decided to take the bike out for a spin..  Peppy as all get out, even in the higher gears.  I'm liking this.  What I would like to do is ride another gen1 (gen2 simply not worth it) and compare.  Maybe I'll set a ride in April or May and host a lunch or something..

So I have to ask, Whats up with the gen2 dis ?, Same engine & bike with fairing changes & some other updates
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
So I have to ask, Whats up with the gen2 dis ?,

It is called "jealousy" :)

Same engine & bike with fairing changes & some other updates

Quite a few useful updates, actually.   Next model will probably be out this year, then we gen2 guys can dis the gen3 :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2016, 04:44:33 PM »
Excellent!  And we'll dis the Gen2 and Gen3. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »
It is called "jealousy" :)

Quite a few useful updates, actually.   Next model will probably be out this year, then we gen2 guys can dis the gen3 :)

Still hearing the next model will be Gen 4
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2016, 04:59:36 PM »
Excellent!  And we'll dis the Gen2 and Gen3.

LOL

Still hearing the next model will be Gen 4

Not from anywhere I have seen... there really is no Gen 3 yet.  (The few paltry changes made a few years hardly count- same bodywork, same instrumentation, same drivetrain; at least not in my mind)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2016, 05:20:56 AM »
So I have to ask, Whats up with the gen2 dis ?, Same engine & bike with fairing changes & some other updates

It's all in good fun. BUT, Gen 1's are not speed limited as are all the others. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn