Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133672 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #360 on: July 06, 2016, 02:05:27 PM »
Oh lord, not this again. It's the rectangle you have to use the toggle switch to get  to switch to the other maps. Why did Kawasaki put 2 things on the display that both say 'Eco'? Great bike but that's  dumb.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #361 on: July 06, 2016, 02:23:14 PM »
I know, I know. I was just checking... Kawi did that so we would have something else to bicker about on forums.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #362 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:07 PM »
First (classic) gen don't have to worry about sorting all that out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #363 on: July 06, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »
Yeah, but G1 has all that heat.... :stirpot:
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #364 on: July 06, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
Oh lord, not this again. It's the rectangle you have to use the toggle switch to get  to switch to the other maps. Why did Kawasaki put 2 things on the display that both say 'Eco'? Great bike but that's  dumb.

Yes, it was incredibly stupid.  A total "F" in the ergonomics and design category on that one.  What you are describing is, indeed "FEAM" or "FEA Mode".   People continue to call it "ECO Mode" (which it isn't) and generally we understand what it means, except when the user is confused by the OTHER "ECO" indicator that appears on the dash (the three circles).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #365 on: July 06, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
A better way to describe what's going on is to say THE BIKE is in Eco (uppercase E, as indicated) mode when FEAM is selected and THE RIDER is in eco (lowercase 'e', as indicated) mode when the ERI is displayed.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #366 on: July 07, 2016, 05:21:40 AM »
This makes my brane hurt.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #367 on: July 07, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
Do most of you with the flash still use your ECO mode? I thought I read that the ECO was untouched by the flash and that most got better mileage in standard mode than ECO with the flash.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #368 on: July 07, 2016, 09:45:56 AM »
Do most of you with the flash still use your ECO mode? I thought I read that the ECO was untouched by the flash and that most got better mileage in standard mode than ECO with the flash.
Wayne

This sounds like one of those "yes or no" questions that could get the thread locked. Better to start a new thread and post a poll.

Pre-flash, my "ECO mode", more accurately known as FEAM (Fuel Economy Assistance Mode), returned a consistent 42mpg over a wide range of conditions for almost 3000 miles. I never rode the bike in regular mode pre-flash. Post-flash, the bike has returned a consistent 48mpg over a wide range of conditions for the past 2200 miles. If you RTFM, you will see that FEAM "decreases horsepower". It would appear that the flash increases fuel economy over that achieved by FEAM while increasing horsepower over that achieved by OE non-FEAM.

Wait, I forgot to answer the question. No.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #369 on: July 07, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
NO.
After you get the flash,,,,, you don't need to use Eco mode...

Ted
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:49:23 AM by connie_rider »

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #370 on: July 07, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »
I use ECO/FEAM on the slab on long trips, or on any trip where performance is not important and stretching out gas stops adds value.  I got 52 mpg coming home from Montana on one stop. 

I have gotten as low as 35 mpg on a curvy road/aggressive riding day.  I definitely notice the difference in performance but it's still got enough pep to handle any traffic on the slab in OD and with FEAM engaged.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #371 on: July 07, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
No, haven't used Eco mode since being flashed.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline swojo95

« Reply #372 on: July 07, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
For me ECO mode still trumps the flash for fuel economy on the super slab, but not by much.  On the way to and from the National, I alternated each tank full, only on the super slab, running ECO mode and the standard mode with the flash.  ECO mode did better by ~2 mpg.  That being said, I did not purchase the flash for the fuel economy and I am quite pleased with the "ride-ability" improvements from the flash. I still wouldn't mind getting the 48-52 mpg others have mentioned? I reset my avg mpg on the display when I got the flash and it is currently displaying 42.3 mpg, which is a little optimistic when compared to hand calculations, and about the same readout as what I had before the flash.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #373 on: July 07, 2016, 01:15:38 PM »
I did not reset the average MPG when I got the flash done in Helen.
Wanted to see if the average would go up...
At the time (with 5000 miles on the average), it was showing 42 mpg.
500 miles later (including the twisties in Georgia) the average has increased to 45 mpg.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #374 on: July 07, 2016, 01:31:30 PM »
I did not reset the average MPG when I got the flash done in Helen.
Wanted to see if the average would go up...
At the time (with 5000 miles on the average), it was showing 42 mpg.
500 miles later (including the twisties in Georgia) the average has increased to 45 mpg.

Ride safe, Ted

That's a fun story, but not possible. You would have had to average 158mpg during that 500 miles to achieve the new average.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #375 on: July 07, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
For me ECO mode still trumps the flash for fuel economy on the super slab, but not by much.  On the way to and from the National, I alternated each tank full, only on the super slab, running ECO mode and the standard mode with the flash.  ECO mode did better by ~2 mpg.  That being said, I did not purchase the flash for the fuel economy and I am quite pleased with the "ride-ability" improvements from the flash. I still wouldn't mind getting the 48-52 mpg others have mentioned? I reset my avg mpg on the display when I got the flash and it is currently displaying 42.3 mpg, which is a little optimistic when compared to hand calculations, and about the same readout as what I had before the flash.

The answer for fuel economy being lower for folks like you and I is staring us in the face... literally. Go look in the mirror... there's the answer on why we aren't getting those huge mileage numbers. Regardless, I get 45-46 on the highway at 80 indicated... Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #376 on: July 07, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »
That's a fun story, but not possible. You would have had to average 158mpg during that 500 miles to achieve the new average.

Agreed!
I didn't think it possible either and wondered about it.
That is why I posted the note.

Wondering how the bike does the average.
Always assumed it is based on the total miles between resets.
Maybe the average is somehow computed on the last miles, or perhaps some other manner?

When I bought the bike it initially showed about 38 mpg.
It slowly moved to approx. 42.
It has bounced between 40 and 43 for many miles.

Bottom line, when Steve installed the Flash, the reading was 42.
It is now 45...?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #377 on: July 07, 2016, 05:25:05 PM »
Bottom line, when Steve installed the Flash, the reading was 42.
It is now 45...?

Somebody help me. When you pulled the ECU, did you disconnect the battery? Would this have reset your average without you doing it manually with the pushbutton?

Did you do anything else that would have reset the average without your intervention. (I mean you disconnected the battery besides pulling the ECU)

Maybe there's something else we don't know about.

Or else... I want the flash you got!  ;D
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #378 on: July 07, 2016, 05:49:13 PM »
Steve removed the ECU, downloaded the original program, installed the flash, and reinstalled.

Battery was not disconnected.

But your correct.... possibly probably, the reflashing of the ECU, re-zeroed the average...
So, my average for 500 miles is 45 mpg.

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:49:29 PM by connie_rider »

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #379 on: July 07, 2016, 07:35:27 PM »
If Ted says he got 158 mpg, who are we to doubt him?   :thumbs: (Maybe he added in the trailering miles to and from Helen...)

You go, Ted!

Ron
2014 C-14 Red