Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133799 times)

Offline DaddyFlip

Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #380 on: July 07, 2016, 08:40:04 PM »
If Ted says he got 158 mpg, who are we to doubt him?   :thumbs: (Maybe he added in the trailering miles to and from Helen...)

You go, Ted!

Ron

Now THAT made me laugh.., and I needed it tonight.  :hail: :rotflmao:
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #381 on: July 07, 2016, 08:56:09 PM »
Do most of you with the flash still use your ECO mode?

In my case it is the Ghul flash, and it doesn't help much with fuel economy.  But I never used FEAM before, and I don't use it now unless I am in a potential bind and think I might run out of fuel a little sooner than I need (which is very rare).

I thought I read that the ECO was untouched by the flash

That is correct- neither the Ghul nor SISF modify the FEAM maps.

and that most got better mileage in standard mode than ECO with the flash. Wayne

With the SISF flash, yes- most people are reporting better MPG in standard than in FEAM

Update: I posted then realized I am a bit late to the party.  Oh well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #382 on: July 08, 2016, 04:05:47 AM »
Somebody help me. When you pulled the ECU, did you disconnect the battery? Would this have reset your average without you doing it manually with the pushbutton?

Did you do anything else that would have reset the average without your intervention. (I mean you disconnected the battery besides pulling the ECU)

Maybe there's something else we don't know about.

Or else... I want the flash you got!  ;D

I did and had some interesting side effects when I re-attached it.  I'd have to search some to figure out what they were as it was awhile ago.  I believe that the vast majority did not disconnect the battery and I also believe that Steve told me it wasn't necessary, yet I did it anyway.  I don't think that anyone has had any issues with not disconnecting the battery.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline EZ

« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »
I did and had some interesting side effects when I re-attached it.  I'd have to search some to figure out what they were as it was awhile ago.  I believe that the vast majority did not disconnect the battery and I also believe that Steve told me it wasn't necessary, yet I did it anyway.  I don't think that anyone has had any issues with not disconnecting the battery.

I have had mine done twice, at SISF shop, and did not disconnect the battery. No negative impact at all.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #384 on: July 08, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »
Mine was done in Helen and the battery was not disconnected. Nothing odd resulted.

First start up cold spooled up to 1800 rpm for one minute and hasn't done it since, granted it's been 80-95 degrees every time I've started it up since Helen.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline smokin

« Reply #385 on: July 23, 2016, 06:15:11 PM »
Came across this interesting information in the Kawasaki workshop manual on GTR 1400 ABS and CONCOURS 14 ABS relating to power and torque outputs of the engines in each model.
The Australian GTR 1400 cranks out more power and torque than the US Concours 14 ABS ,which in turn cranks out more   power and torque than some European GTR 1400"s.
May be that why my stock standard 2014 GTR 1400 does not suffer from snatchy gear changes,lack of mid range to low down grunt and  has excellent fuel economy in not only ECO MODE but normal mode because of a different ECU strategy?
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #386 on: July 23, 2016, 06:19:19 PM »
rpm #s are different

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #387 on: July 23, 2016, 08:58:07 PM »
I have all the base tunes, they are all so similar as to be no different in the real world. Plus, the rating systems are different, eu / au uses NM, and I think you must have pony power, not horsepower.  :shoot:  Steve

Offline smokin

« Reply #388 on: July 23, 2016, 09:08:43 PM »
You wish,IT is what it is.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #389 on: July 23, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »
Came across this interesting information in the Kawasaki workshop manual on GTR 1400 ABS and CONCOURS 14 ABS relating to power and torque outputs of the engines in each model.
The Australian GTR 1400 cranks out more power and torque than the US Concours 14 ABS ,which in turn cranks out more   power and torque than some European GTR 1400"s.

I would say that is probably marketing and/or differences in unit measures and/or testing methodology.  I don't believe the engines are any different.

A marketing example is when I ran across a higher horsepower number on my G37S compared the the identical engine used in the 370Z, even on the identical model years.  When I started asking around, I was told by more than one person it is simply marketing.... Nissan couldn't have the Nissan-badged 370Z have a higher number than the  Infiniti.... so they just lopped off several hp in the specs of the 370Z when it really isn't any less.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #390 on: July 25, 2016, 08:04:36 AM »
It's possible that the difference is in tuning to meet emissions requirements in the different areas.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline smokin

« Reply #391 on: July 25, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »
That makes sense,I known european emission standards are very high,not so much in Australia.
Don't know about the USA emission standards,but I am sure you guys do.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #392 on: July 25, 2016, 10:52:29 AM »
I don't believe the engines are any different.
I think that smokin was referring to the factory ECU flash being different for different parts of the world, not engine differences.

I have all the base tunes, they are all so similar as to be no different in the real world.   Steve

If it's not proprietary information, how did you acquire all of those? Have you already reflashed ECUs from each of those global market areas? If so, way to go Steve!   :thumbs:

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #393 on: July 25, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »
Have you already reflashed ECUs from each of those global market areas? If so, way to go Steve!   :thumbs:

This. Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #394 on: July 25, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »
That makes sense,I known european emission standards are very high,not so much in Australia.
Don't know about the USA emission standards,but I am sure you guys do.

Not many places that I know of have higher emissions standards than Kaliforinia (CA).... and I believe the tuning (maps) is the same across the whole USA for the C14, regardless of CA or non-CA models (but they did have a charcoal canister on the CA model).  I think since 2015, all the C14's in the USA market now meet CA standards (but don't hold me to that, my memory for such things is poor... but it has been discussed here in a few threads..... somewhere).

Offline smokin

« Reply #395 on: July 25, 2016, 09:04:17 PM »
I think that smokin was referring to the factory ECU flash being different for different parts of the world, not engine differences.

If it's not proprietary information, how did you acquire all of those? Have you already reflashed ECUs from each of those global market areas? If so, way to go Steve!   :thumbs:

That is correct fartymarty  ,all other specifications in the Genuine workshop manual show no difference in the mechanical aspect of the engine,i.e.,compression,valve timing,etc etc.
So that only leaves I guess exhaust restrictions,ECU programming in respect to the fuel type and octane I suspect.
One area I have noticed is that all the dyno results and there are a few show the Australian model in standard form putting out average of approx 138hp to the back wheel,and I understand that dynos give different readings but that is the average results.The some of the dyno machines are made in the USA.

So the data in the Genuine Kawasaki workshop difference in power output supports the dyno results in Australia versus the Steves USA dyno results
 of 128.80hp at the back wheel?

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #396 on: July 25, 2016, 10:02:14 PM »
Not all dyno's give the same readings. you really cannot race dyno charts, it just doesn't work that way unless you ran the bikes on the same dyno within a very close time frame.

I have seen pics, posted elsewhere, of a bike on a kawasaki dyno after being assembled, and it showed 129.2 hp. This is really a  good average number.

Remember that different methods of measuring produce different results. You can gain / lose 3-4 hp just switching the exact same run between  STD or SAE.

Factor Pro dyno's generally measure about 15% less than dynojet dynos.

The maps are the same internationally, for all intents. in fact the EU AU ECU used with the 02 sensors has the same PN as we have for the 2015 up US models.

The one thing I do not know about is the catalytic converters. Do y'all have them down under?  Based on the same tuning, I would expect so. Steve

Offline smokin

« Reply #397 on: July 26, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »
Interesting information Steve regarding dyno"s.My GTR 1400 is a 2014 model,it has cat convertors but no 02 sensors.
Reading some of the information Steve that you have shared on this forum regarding ECU remapping and  after market exhaust affecting performance in terms of loss of power due to leaning of the fuel mixture has been very informative.
You obviously have spent a large amount of time and research into achieving your ECU programing,which I applaud you for. 

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #398 on: July 26, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »
Interesting information Steve regarding dyno"s.My GTR 1400 is a 2014 model,it has cat convertors but no 02 sensors.
Reading some of the information Steve that you have shared on this forum regarding ECU remapping and  after market exhaust affecting performance in terms of loss of power due to leaning of the fuel mixture has been very informative.
You obviously have spent a large amount of time and research into achieving your ECU programing,which I applaud you for.

there's no loss of power due to leaning, there's loss of power due to scavenging cylinder pressure, and it'l limited to lower rpm. I did get the power back +, but I had to get creative. Actually the full area p system with my flash gets +5HP at 4000, but you really need WOT to get the advantage. Steve

Offline smokin

« Reply #399 on: July 27, 2016, 08:28:46 AM »
  there's no loss of power due to leaning, there's loss of power due to scavenging cylinder pressure, and it'l limited to lower rpm. I did get the power back +, but I had to get creative. Actually the full area p system with my flash gets +5HP at 4000, but you really need WOT to get the advantage. Steve

So Steve in your experience is there an aftermarket slip on which does not create  a loss of power due to scavenging cylinder pressure?,or only minimal loss?