Author Topic: Which Paint?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline RapidRoy

Which Paint?
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:47:52 PM »
I'm going to tear down the bike this winter to repaint a number of areas that need a new coat. I'm also seriously thinking about redoing the plastics as well. I've done very little paint work, so I'm wondering which paints to use and what spray method to use. Here's what I'm going to paint:

- front forks
- non-chrome bits of exhaust pipes
- Center stand
- a few places on the engine where it is flaked
- plastics

A couple of questions related to the above list. What brand of paint would you guys recommend for the steel parts, aluminum parts...? What are the considerations when spraying aluminum alloys (fork tubes, engine) to make sure it sticks? For the exhaust, are some brands of hi-temp paint better than others? For the plastics, I'm thinking the body shop would be the best bet, but I could be convinced otherwise if it isn't too difficult. I have a good compressor, but not a spray gun. If I were to get a spray gun, what brand would you guys recommend that isn't too expensive but will produce good results.

I'm seriously considering giving it a variation of the Eddie Lawson paint colors. It might be a bit over the top, but love the history and visibility of the green.

Roy
'99 C-10

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Which Paint?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »
I used DuPont Chroma system, with a two part clear that had a dollop of flattener/flex agent added to repaint my forks. PITA, and a lot of materials, but they look OEM again.

For the engine and mufflers, I might suggest flat or semi-gloss rattle can black paint. Not the fast dry crap. Or flat black 'stove' paint. An exact match to the OEM sheen may be difficult. And anything sprayed on the mufflers will probably burn off in time (the end caps excepted)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:19:53 AM »
powder coat the small metal parts :thumbs:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:00:21 AM »
Before attempting to paint you must disinfect everything thoroughly.  Use a good brush and purple cleaner (or similar) and wash it a until it is clean.  Let it dry in the sun good.  Just before painting anything use a solvent to clean it (I use acetone mostly).  You may find a gravel area and a brush with gasoline will work to get heavy grime loose first.

If you don't want silver forks - I used spray on Rhino liner for the lower fork tubes on the bike i'm restoring.  Looks really nice and should be very durable.  Great time to replace the seals and fluid while you are doing it.  Add drain holes too if you don't have them.

The exhaust should be ceramic coated, otherwise anything you put on it will be short lived.  The suggestions above will work for awhile and look nice at for awhile.  Find a newer, better looking set on the forum maybe?

Centerstand just use spray on matte black rustoleum (or similar).  Kickstand and swing arm too.

The engine can be done carefully with spray cans of automotive engine paint.  Get the 500 degree version - not the 1200d as it tends to not stick as well over time.  You will definitely have to do a lot of cleaning and masking to make it look good.

Not that you asked, but Krylon Fusion in matte black works great for the faded plastic parts if they are beyond just adding any Armor-all type products (but please don't use Armor-all as it increases UV absorbsion).  Again, clean them down real good.

Your fairing plastics can be painted by you if you have the experience with a gun.  There are many, many paints and processes to choose from.  There is also a very wide price range on supplies.  You get to take your pick.  However, if you're thinking of a custom design, don't be surprised when you are told it is $2k to $3k and a few months to get the pieces back.  Maybe this is a good reason to buy the tools - to save money.  I use a siphon gun when I paint most of the time.

edited to say "ceramic coated" on the exhausts.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:49:57 AM by RFH87_Connie »
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RapidRoy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:54:30 AM »
Great input guys, thanks. Powder coating didn't even cross my mind. I assume it would hold up well on the exhaust. FYI, I wouldn't coat the headers close to the engine, just the bits under the engine that are not chrome. I guess I'll look for a decent spray gun and practice a bit with cheap paint, especially if somebody tells me $2-$3K.
'99 C-10

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »
Re-read that.  I don't think anyone recommended powder coat on the exhaust.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:45:34 AM »
That's correct. I believe they meant ceramic coating.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »
Yes, ceramic coating, not powder coating.  In the past, I found that HPC coatings was a lot cheaper than Jethot - but that was a few years ago.  At the cost involved, it would probably be cheaper to find another good used set.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington