Author Topic: Where is this oil leak coming from?  (Read 7294 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Where is this oil leak coming from?
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »
While I was in the process of seeing whether the water pump was leaking (it is), I found the origin of an oil leak I hadn't bothered with for a long time.  What is this thing called, and how do I go about fixing it?  Access doesn't look easy.  It's on the front right side of the engine.

Here you can see the wet area, and even a drip of oil that's about to fall to the ground:

Another picture to show where this is:

And one more, for reference:

Offline Mettler1

Re: Where is this oil leak coming from?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
  That's the balancer shaft. Let you know if I find out more. 

There is an oil seal right behind the lever on the balancer shaft.. I have never replaced one before but hte part is cheap. Part # 92049  $6.13

Bike Bandit fiche      http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1994-kawasaki-concours-zg1000a9-us/o/m3384#sch57640

Try this lead as how to repair      http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,14371.msg117556.html#msg117556
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:32:30 PM by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

voileauciel

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
Please do let us know how it goes too. Mine is just starting to weep now so will have to do this at some point also.

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:11:29 AM »
When I did mine, it was easy peasy.
One gotcha, I believe, is I don't think there is a lip on the inside of the case to prevent the seal from going too far in?
So, don't be to forcefull on the installation of the new seal.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »
Started working on the bike tpday, pics/updates will come soon.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »
yes, easy easy.  Takes more time to remove plastic and little balance arm.  Did mine a few years ago.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

voileauciel

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
Just curious: does one need to install new copper washers on that oil line, or can the old ones be re-used? Mine are now 12 years old, and have 65k on them, should they be replaced?

Going to try to tackle this later this week.

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
Just curious: does one need to install new copper washers on that oil line, or can the old ones be re-used? Mine are now 12 years old, and have 65k on them, should they be replaced?

Going to try to tackle this later this week.

Just finished the seal today.  Really easy, assuming I did it right and it won't leak again.  I forgot to lube up the new seal with engine oil, don't know how bad that is?  Pulled out the old seal with some pliers and pushed in the new one with an 18mm socket.  Just don't mix up which side of the seal faces where, and watch for the spacer behind the seal.  I also forgot to mark the position of the slot on the countershaft, but I did remember the position it was in, so hopefully it didn't move too much.  How bad is this?

Yes, I'd recommend replacing the copper washers on the line, if only for piece of mind.  I replaced them.  You need 4 washers.  My bike is a 1990 with 70,000 miles, I'm assuming the washers were never touched.  I also replaced the washers on one end of another oil line that you have to loosen to remove this one.  Different size of washer though.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »
I replaced mine about 12k ago and since the washers didn't look bad i just reused them but it would be a good to replace them anyway. i don't remember oiling my seal either but since there was fresh oil in that area where the seal was going i don't think there should be a problem. i also used the 18mm socket.  :thumbs:

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

voileauciel

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »
I'm looking at the parts diagram on BikeBandit, and the part numbers are mighty confusing. Is it the 670/A, which is listed as an o-ring, or is it the washer listed under the oil cooler, 11009?

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
I'm looking at the parts diagram on BikeBandit, and the part numbers are mighty confusing. Is it the 670/A, which is listed as an o-ring, or is it the washer listed under the oil cooler, 11009?

11009.  You'll need 4 of those.  Keep in mind that you'll need to remove a bolt at one end of another oil line (the one that runs from the right side of the oil cooler to an area near the oil filter) that blocks access to one of the bolts on the oil line you have to remove to get to the countershaft seal.  If you want to replace the washers on that partially disconnected oil line also, the part number for those is also 11009, but you'll find them under the "oil cooler" fiche instead of the "crankcase" fiche.  These washers are of a different size and material, even though the part numbers are the same.  You'll need 2.

voileauciel

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:30:30 AM »
Thank you!