Author Topic: Width of ZG1000 with mirrors folded, luggage removed  (Read 4602 times)

Offline mister0

Width of ZG1000 with mirrors folded, luggage removed
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of buying a used Connie 1000.  The problem is, the place where I store my bike only has a 36"-wide "people door" instead of a proper garage door (it used to be a garage but the previous owners of my house converted into something that's not really useful as a garage or as living space).  Eventually I plan to convert it back to a garage.  I can fit my Vulcan 500 (33.1 inches overall width) through there, but it's tight.

The spec sheet says the Connie is 36.6 inches wide.  Is that mirror to mirror?  If so, do the mirrors fold?  I know the luggage is removable; I'd be using the bike mostly for commuting, so I'd probably do that, even if width wasn't an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: Width of ZG1000 with mirrors folded, luggage removed
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
Looks like my '88 would fit...I get 32-33" across...mirrors folded and bags off...hth
'02 C-10

Offline works4me

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:31:06 AM »
From outside to outside of mirrors, extended, is just less than 40 inches.
You would have no trouble getting through a 36" door with mirrors folded.

Not that it helps, but in a similar situation I was able to get a Gold Wing
through a 36" door without much trouble once I removed the highway pegs.

Offline Gene W

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:16:32 PM »
Mister0,

I wouldn't recommend folding the mirrors on a regular basis for several reasons. If the adjustment is loose enough to allow you to fold the mirror for parking every day, then it will likely loosen while riding. How to access the fastener for tightening has been a past topic of discussion.

On the other hand, if the adjustment is tight enough that the mirror stays in adjustment, it is too tight for you to fold in without risking breaking the fragile cast aluminum parts of the joint that are concealed by the rubber boot.  That’s a hundred dollar mistake.

Goldwing 1800 mirrors are made to fold out of the way, much like an automobile, but the Connie’s mirrors are not. It’s best to adjust the Connie’s mirrors once, tighten the pivot point up if need be, and leave them alone.

I wouldn’t let that stop me from buying the bike. Fixing the door would be a better way to go. If you have the skills to do the work you may find a serviceable garage door that someone removed from their house for style reasons or because it needs one section replaced if you look on Craig’s list or check with a local garage door installer for usable doors he’s removed. You could also buy a cover for it and store it outside if you had to, but that would be low on my list of solutions.

I always carry my saddle bags. For commuting they are useful for rain gear, extra clothing for temp changes, work clothes, storing your riding jacket, pants and boots, lunch, computer or picking up some grub on the way home from work. Why would you want to leave them at home?

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »

Fixing the door would be a better way to go.

+1. Seems wiggling in and out of a 36" door every day would get old pretty quickly, and you will inevitably get some scrapes and scratches, maybe even drop the bike.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline yoman

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of buying a used Connie 1000.  The problem is, the place where I store my bike only has a 36"-wide "people door" instead of a proper garage door (it used to be a garage but the previous owners of my house converted into something that's not really useful as a garage or as living space).  Eventually I plan to convert it back to a garage.  I can fit my Vulcan 500 (33.1 inches overall width) through there, but it's tight.

The spec sheet says the Connie is 36.6 inches wide.  Is that mirror to mirror?  If so, do the mirrors fold?  I know the luggage is removable; I'd be using the bike mostly for commuting, so I'd probably do that, even if width wasn't an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Nothing horsepower can't resolve!
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline mister0

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:48:20 PM »
Fixing the door would be a better way to go.

I thought that would be the answer.  :(  Unforch, it's not going to be as easy as just putting in a garage door.  Interior walls need to be knocked down, wiring redone....

I'm not sure 'Honey, I need to buy myself a big, fast motorcycle...and, uh...put in a garage door so I have a place to park it.  Can I have the checkbook, please?' is going to be an easy sell right now, but at least I know what I'm up against. 

Thanks, all.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:04:25 AM »
I wouldn't recommend folding the mirrors on a regular basis for several reasons. If the adjustment is loose enough to allow you to fold the mirror for parking every day, then it will likely loosen while riding. How to access the fastener for tightening has been a past topic of discussion.

Daily folding of the mirrors would be a very large pain in the caboose but I've been folding/unfolding the mirrors on my 01 from day one every couple of weeks to which I've got no issues with them not staying in place or being hard to adjust.....

My bags have been in storage for years; luggage rack and bungee cords work fine for the occasional need.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
Could you not bring it thru the door at a slight angle, and tip the bike one way or the other to clear each mirror? 
Its not like we are talking about a foot, its only a few inches at best.

Id try it, but my door is only 32" wide, and the 36" doors on the house, all 3 of them, have steps. 
Say what?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »
You gotta axe for the checkbook?  :o
Fold the mirrors or do the wiggle.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 01:28:35 PM »
I have a garage under the house type of arrangement but removed the overhead garage door and put in a double wide swinging doors (54" opening with both doors open).   More warmer than your standard overhead door and I can open both doors to get the bike in and out withour folding the mirrors.  Best part was that the wife was in favor of the renovation.
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett