Author Topic: Led Turn signal bulbs  (Read 36578 times)

Offline DaddyFlip

Re: Led Turn signal bulbs
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 09:04:49 PM »
Thanks guys; that's what we're here for- to work it out. Okay, I blew up the 'triangle of light' photo and you will see that it is a reflection off the bike above the Kawasaki panel, which is still intact (look closely). Good eye fm; I didn't notice it at first.  Click on all these photos to make them much bigger.

So I went out and took the bike apart again.  In fm's photo, I removed the four screws that make a backwards '7' across the top and down the left edge of that panel. The big bolt stays in place in the hole in the top right. Taking out those four screws and pulling on the front corner of the Kawasaki panel reveals the inside with the blinker bulb socket.

If I hold that with my finger and back away with the camera, you can see that the Kawasaki panel is still connected to the middle fairing attached with the big bolt. The Kawasaki panel is not pulled out and away from the middle fairing or creating a triangle of light.

The gap in the front corner is almost three inches, enough for me to get my hand in up to my wrist and place my fingers easily on the bulb socket.

Backing the camera up a little bit and holding my hand in place, you can see better how much access I have.  It's really not putting stress on the other panels and the four screws holes line back up easily. I don't have any problems with it. BTW, the distance between the well nut and the hole in the Kawasaki panel shown here is abut 1.75 inches.

Is there something missing on my bike that I need to look for? Both sides are exactly the same, so I would be missing it on both sides, which is less likely if there were a major issue. Are you willing to try again fm?
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:50 PM »
Thanks guys; that's what we're here for- to work it out. Okay, I blew up the 'triangle of light' photo and you will see that it is a reflection off the bike above the Kawasaki panel, which is still intact (look closely). Good eye fm; I didn't notice it at first.  Click on all these photos to make them much bigger

AH SOOOOO...I see it now, the reflection that I thought was a gap. That's what I get for joking with max'. Thanks Dad'flip.

Are you willing to try again fm?

Yes, but not tonight. I just ordered the LEDs and a flasher from Amazon so I'm going to wait until they get here. I'll report back when I do the install.
Thanks for checking on that for us.  :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 09:28:50 PM »
As much as I try, I can't make sense of the photos.  But I do appreciate them and the info.  I look forward to more information because it really is a total PITA to get to those bulbs and a better method is a huge bonus!  In any case, I am very glad everyone is happy with these bulbs!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »
Do you mean I am providing poor photos (angle, perspective, distance, etc.) or you just can't wrap your head around what I'm doing?
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2016, 10:01:51 PM »
I don't know if I'm making this better or worse by getting my wife to take photos of me demonstrating in my boxer shorts, but here goes. (Click on all photos to make them much larger.) Okay, I'm sitting in a folding chair in front of the bike with the four screws already removed and my finger on the point/corner of the Kawasaki panel.  I have not pulled it back yet.

Now I have applied a little pressure and pulled that corner away from the upper fairing. The light grey thing just inches away from my finger is the bulb socket.

Same position but change the camera angle. Disregard the gut.

Camera back over my left shoulder looking at my hand inside the panel on the bulb socket.

Drop the camera down to radiator level and see the gap between the Kawasaki panel and the inner fairing.

I don't recall the specific reason for this shot, but another showing easy access between these panels.

2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:44 PM »
Do you mean I am providing poor photos (angle, perspective, distance, etc.) or you just can't wrap your head around what I'm doing?
I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably the latter. One thinks of the removal of the panel like the other ones, but the front one is different in that it is assembly of an inner and outer
panel. When I installed my horns in there I removed the panel and then disassembled it. However you are partially disassembling the panel on the bike, that is the inner panel is detached
from the outer panel but remains in place on the bike, then the upper part of the outer panel is detached from the bike and pulled away from both the bike and the inner panel on the bike. I think
if max' examines his bike with that in mind he'll get it. I'll admit that I'm still apprehensive about pulling the panel aside that hard to get my hand in there but I'll give it a shot.

I don't know if I'm making this better or worse by getting my wife to take photos of me demonstrating in my boxer shorts, but here goes.
Wow, getting the Mrs involved, you are dedicated. You must think max' is important or something. ;)  But yeah, next time put some pants on.  :P

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 10:33:09 PM »
You have given an accurate verbal description of what I'm trying to show in the photos. I'm not pressing that hard on the outer panel. That is why I'm only using one finger to create the gap. Notice that when my hand is in there on the socket, I am not holding the panel with my other hand to create the gap; it really doesn't take any pressure at all. Notice that my arm enters the gap sort of low, just below the upper screw hole of the inner fairing. This is where the largest opening is and so there is little to no stress on the panel where it sort of 'hinges' at the large bolt we've been talking about.

I'm flabbergasted that this is not standard practice. It seems my bike would have to be missing a major component on both sides that would normally prevent my doing this, but it just seems like common sense to me. There's nothing else in that area to hold the two panels together; just those two coarse screws. No tabs or bolts.

Somebody prove me wrong or right.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 05:15:21 AM »

It was both.  (The lighting and angles and too close and black bike made it difficult).  With your new set of photos and description (plus the description in the previous post above), it is now crystal clear.  Thanks!

I'm flabbergasted that this is not standard practice.
The factory manual indicates which panels have to be removed and that is what most would go by, I imagine.  It was for me.  I wish I had known this new information before spending hours doing it all the hard way!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 06:59:35 AM »
The factory manual indicates which panels have to be removed and that is what most would go by, I imagine.  It was for me.  I wish I had known this new information before spending hours doing it all the hard way!

Laziness, frustration, and indignation are the mother of invention.

When I was looking in the ELECTRICAL section of the manual where the lighting is, there was no mention of the FRONT turn signal bulbs on p. 16-67 (where the rear bulb replacement instructions are located). I'm like, "what's going on here?"  I didn't even bother to go look in the FRAME section; I just determined to figure out how to get in there without pulling the bike apart. After further review, they could have made the front just like the rear... two tabs and one screw. I'm sure there's a guvment regulation against it, though.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 07:02:17 AM »
Pure genius!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2016, 07:02:32 AM »
Flat rate!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »
Somebody prove me wrong or right.

You are proven right...or correct...or..well I did it too and it worked for me.

The right side went easy, the left side was a problem as I tried to put it back together the bottom inside Phillips head screw just wouldn't line up. I was expecting problems. As I mentioned earlier I have a horn in each of those compartments and some other LED wiring that I had installed earlier for the running lights. However, upon removing the other screws and looking in with a flashlight I spied something blue down there blocking the hole. I reach down in there and "what the he.."...I found my T handled 4mm Allen wrench that had been missing for over a year.  ::)  :-[  Once it was removed and returned to it's long empty hole in the holder, the pieces then lined up just like the right side did..easy peezy. I got a few red marks on my hands and wrists when trying to take the bulb holder out and back in, but they'll be gone tomorrow.

I then tested everything and watched the hyper flashing thinking that maybe it was a good thing. Certainly noticeable. However it was too fast for all my other lighting (top case lights and double Admore light bars) to keep up in the rear and everything seemed to end up out of sync so I took off the front of the side cover to put in the electronic flasher. I found renewed and increased dislike for those three bottom plastic rivets that I've always disliked. I Installed the flasher which was a simple plug n play as it had the same connector as the old one only missing one wire insert. Everything worked. I tried turning off the bike with the turn signal on looking for the crazy flashing bizzaro world light show that max' had mentioned but nothing. I then tried shutting it off with the four way flashers in the on position and HELL-OH! The lights were all flashing, the glove box latch was clicking, the Speedo and tach were both doing the spin the needle thing over and over..whoa I shut that all off right quick. The fuel pump might have been cycling on and off as well ..there was so much going on it was hard to take it all in. I was guessing that it was that final KIPASS flash that we get that was causing the problem and that somehow there was a back current going on when that happened causing the whole light show thing. I'm pretty sure that there is one fuse that controls only that blinking (It shows as the "KIPASS Signal relay fuse 10A" on the wiring diagram in fuse box 3, but on my bike the fuse box is labeled as "10A answer back") and maybe I could just remove that fuse and go without the start up shutdown KIPASS flash....but.... would that upset "the Mighty MAD POWAHs of KIPASS"?...I wasn't going to chance it, so I started experimenting. I cut the black wire on the electronic flasher and using a couple of jumper wires I inserted a diode into the circuit and tested the shutdown with the four way flashers and it shutdown with the usual one KIPASS flash and remained quiet. The diode was just a one amp Radio Shack component I had sitting around. I searched for a larger one but, NO, none there. I found another 1 amp diode and soldered them in parallel to get a 2 amp diode out of them into the black wire with the diode's silver band on the bike end of the wire leads (photo below). I successfully tested it and then taped and wrapped it all up.

SPECIAL THANKS! to: PeteTN_zgtr, maxtog, and DaddyFlip for all the good info.   :chugbeer: :thumbs: :salute: :finger_fing11:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 06:21:44 PM »
I tried turning off the bike with the turn signal on looking for the crazy flashing bizzaro world light show that max' had mentioned but nothing. I then tried shutting it off with the four way flashers in the on position and HELL-OH! The lights were all flashing, the glove box latch was clicking, the Speedo and tach were both doing the spin the needle thing over and over..whoa I shut that all off right quick.

Told ya- it is totally freakout!  Makes one panic and want to turn off everything quickly.  I don't think I had the problem with the turn signals, but with the hazard 4-way, WOW!

I cut the black wire on the electronic flasher and using a couple of jumper wires I inserted a diode into the circuit and tested the shutdown with the four way flashers and it shutdown with the usual one KIPASS flash and remained quiet. The diode was just a one amp Radio Shack component I had sitting around.

Very cool job!   :finger_fing11:  I thought about researching and putting a diode in there somewhere, myself.... but my basic lazy nature took over and I said to myself "hey, just don't turn off the bike when the hazard lights are on!"  (Not like they are used that much, anyway).  It is too bad these electronic flashers don't have diodes in them to begin with!

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2016, 06:59:09 AM »
You are proven right...or correct...or..well I did it too and it worked for me.

...so I took off the front of the side cover to put in the electronic flasher. I found renewed and increased dislike for those three bottom plastic rivets that I've always disliked.

The first time I changed the flasher, I also developed a distaste for the bottom plastic rivets. So I decided I wouldn't fool with those anymore. The flasher can be changed easily by removing only the single Allen head that is under the seat and pulling the panel away from the front (there are two plastic bungs that locate into rubber grommets). You have to remove the pannier, too.

.... but my basic lazy nature took over and I said to myself "hey, just don't turn off the bike when the hazard lights are on!"

Good ol' laziness. My method exactly.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
When I first seen this thread I disregarded because I dont plan to run led's. But I like the info for changing bulbs. Can the title be changed to reflect the great info at the end? I am afraid I will disregard it in my favorites. Thanks Daddy Flip!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2016, 11:48:08 AM »
But I like the info for changing bulbs. Can the title be changed to reflect the great info at the end?

Maybe make the request to the OP Gigantor in a PM? What would you suggest as a replacement....."Led Turn signal bulbs (plus easier access to the fronts!)"  ??

You can't really change the whole flavor of the title because to some of us the fact that there is now a viable (bright enough) LED alternative to a filament bulb is as important
as the easier access technique.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »
BINGO :D I like that title, it reflects the post.Iwas a member here fora long time beforeIdiscoveredI could bookmark posts ::)
Wayne

Maybe make the request to the OP Gigantor in a PM? What would you suggest as a replacement....."Led Turn signal bulbs (plus easier access to the fronts!)"  ??

You can't really change the whole flavor of the title because to some of us the fact that there is now a viable (bright enough) LED alternative to a filament bulb is as important
as the easier access technique.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2016, 12:56:19 PM »
BINGO :D I like that title, it reflects the post.Iwas a member here fora long time before I discovered I could bookmark posts ::)

I have seen the menu option about a list of bookmarks, but I have never seen a way to actually bookmark a posting within the forum.  Is there some type of hidden magical icon or button I am not seeing??

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2016, 02:10:54 PM »
Huhmph... that was easy. Click the button at the top or bottom of the page that says "ADD BOOKMARK" (it's right next to the dark REPLY button) then click on the "My Bookmarks" button at the top of the screen. There it is.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
I have seen the menu option about a list of bookmarks, but I have never seen a way to actually bookmark a posting within the forum.  Is there some type of hidden magical icon or button I am not seeing??
I am glad that I am not the only slow one!!
 8)
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1