Author Topic: Noob needs TPMS clarification  (Read 16239 times)

Offline SmittyRider03

Noob needs TPMS clarification
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
I have read through many posts and don't feel I have the exact info I need, and I need it soon!

2008 C14, currently at my local shop getting new tires, front rotors/pads, and Murphs 90 degree valve stems...

Like many other folks my sensors flash the annoying warning light almost every cold-start morning. My questions are as follows, and any and all opinions are greatly appreciated!

1. I believe the batteries are still ok - should I just leave the sensors in for now or will the warnings get worse as they die?

2. If I leave them in and let them die, the way I understand it is I will just get dashes for tire pressure and NO flashing warning?

3. Do I just have the shop take them out all together right now while they have tires off? I have never had TPMS before and frankly have never looked at it in the 2 years I have had the bike now.

3.1 If the sensors get removed, will Murphs valve stems work without them?

3.2 If the valves work with the sensors removed all together will I just get dashes for tire pressure and NO flashing warning?

Just trying to get to the bottom of this, may be helpful for others as well I hope.

Thanks for the help!!
Four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul...

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Noob needs TPMS clarification
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21:50 AM »
1.  I would leave them in. Once they save you once, you will be in their debt for life. They are awesome. Had a massive flat while riding one day, two up in 95 degree weather. Could have been a very bad outcome if I hadn't seen the PSI warning.

2.  I would assume that would be true as it will just default to not being able to see the sensors. (Speculation on my part)

3.  I would not
3.1  Yes, they do not touch the valve stems. (fact)
3.2  Refer to 2.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »
Sorry, but how do these work? Is there a battery in the valve stem assembly?  I bought my connie used, the bike had not been rode in while. I took it out for the customary test ride and and recieve a low battery warning. After about 20 minutes of riding it went a way and has not returned.

Why not just replace the batteries while the tires are off? Or is it not that simple?

Offline SmittyRider03

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
Sorry, but how do these work? Is there a battery in the valve stem assembly?  I bought my connie used, the bike had not been rode in while. I took it out for the customary test ride and and recieve a low battery warning. After about 20 minutes of riding it went a way and has not returned.

Why not just replace the batteries while the tires are off? Or is it not that simple?

Most cold mornings will make the warning light come on until the air warms up, then it will go off. Very annoying in my opinion!

The sensors do have batteries which are soldered in. There are how to's on replacing the batteries in the forum. The sensors themselves are not cheap, upwards of $175 each.
Four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul...

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »
The system that the C14 uses has nothing to do with the valve stem.
Yes the batteries can be replaced, but its not as simple as just popping one out and putting a new one back in. Do a search on TPMS battery replacement and there are a few threads about it.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 03:41:01 PM »
Thanks Guys.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »
Just replace the battery when you change the tire.  I just did my rear....maybe 5 minutes since it was my first time.   :rotflmao:

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 12:42:09 AM »
OK CB, you're going to have to explain yourself. Everybody else is cutting housings in half just to get to the battery.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 05:10:58 AM »
Just replace the battery when you change the tire.  I just did my rear....maybe 5 minutes since it was my first time.   :rotflmao:

OK CB, you're going to have to explain yourself. Everybody else is cutting housings in half just to get to the battery.

Exactly. I've never changed the battery in my TPM but there ain't no way in the world that this is just a 5 minute job. And I say that as a guy who's been repairing electronics for over 30 years.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »

+1
I thought the same thing when I read what he wrote.  Perhaps one could get it down to 5 min if one has done the procedure several times already and had all the tools and supplies ready and waiting.  Otherwise, I was thinking more like 15 to 20 min.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 07:34:31 AM »
You only need a small torx bit and a soldering iron once you have the unit unscrewed from the wheel.

Peel back the FCC label and unscrew the torx screw.

Pull off the back by releasing three plastic tabs. (one on the round end and two in the hole.

The board just sits in there. Pull it out.

Fold the tabs of the new battery over to the board contacts and solder them on.  (Note polarity)

Profit

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »
You only need a small torx bit and a soldering iron once you have the unit unscrewed from the wheel.

- Peel back the FCC label and unscrew the torx screw.

- Pull off the back by releasing three plastic tabs. (one on the round end and two in the hole.

- The board just sits in there. Pull it out.

- Fold the tabs of the new battery over to the board contacts and solder them on.  (Note polarity)

- Profit

Touché!  ;)

That gives you one minute per step after the TPMS is removed.
I agree with maxtog: Seems doable if you've done it before and have all the tools and supplies ready.
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline nyconcours

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
I was told by my dealer when the bike was new if the low battery comes up, inflate tire to 50PSI, wait 5 minutes while the bike is on (does not have to be running) and reduce PSI to riding presure.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
I was told by my dealer when the bike was new if the low battery comes up, inflate tire to 50PSI, wait 5 minutes while the bike is on (does not have to be running) and reduce PSI to riding presure.

This has already been discussed and was proven to be inaccurate.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »

Yet another dealer giving bad information.  ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
How long do you have to wait then?

So much mystery and folklore surrounding so many things but KiPass (and assorted accoutrements) top the list.

So this past weekend I replaced a few batteries in a few TPS sensors and got the bright idea to actually statically test one.... sort of. After the sensor was in, the new tire mounted and the wheel assembly back on the bike, I started it and ran it through the gears while on the centerstand; the bike 'goes' right around 27 MPH in sixth at an idle (whatever the idle was on that particular bike- I did not note what it was) and after a fashion, the rear tire pressure display popped up. Physics- you gotta' love it (centripetal force works even in the garage). Or maybe it was the incantation.... either way, the sensors both worked as per the owner's later report.

Brian

This has already been discussed and was proven to be inaccurate.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline texrider

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »
Couple  minutes, tops. Bust 'em loose from the tabs and slip in a new one with just a friction fit. Walla.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 04:31:58 AM »
6 minutes and 37 seconds.

Snip...

How long do you have to wait then?

Brian

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 06:10:22 AM »
"bust em loose from the tabs."  Was trying this last night while changing the rear tire on my 08, the battery seems pretty well stuck to those tabs! A bit tricky getting it loose without torquing the circuit board. Back at it this morning, my 6 minutes is up.
08B 73.5K miles

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 03:01:11 PM »
"bust em loose from the tabs."  Was trying this last night while changing the rear tire on my 08, the battery seems pretty well stuck to those tabs! A bit tricky getting it loose without torquing the circuit board. Back at it this morning, my 6 minutes is up.

I have not seen the battery in the TPMS in particular...  but it is not uncommon for battery tabs to be what appears to be spot welded and I have encountered that many times where it was not just soldered.  In those cases I would end up having to cut the strap off the battery.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc