Author Topic: leaking rear drive  (Read 1253 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
leaking rear drive
« on: March 05, 2022, 09:23:02 AM »
I am going to install the rear drive from my parts bike and then repair this one at my leisure.
My research indicates there are two oil seals and an o-ring that are usually replaced and also a needle bearing that should be replaced if the seals are replaced.
Will it be obvious which seal has failed or should I replace all?
The service manual section on seal and bearing replacement is poorly illustrated. Has anyone done this? Will it be fairly straight forward when I get the case open?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: leaking rear drive
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 10:31:49 AM »
Hey Bob,

There are two lip seals in the drive, one large and one small. It is usually the small one that fails, it was the small one on my bike that failed. That said, if you open the drive it is probably best to have both on hand already, and change both as long as you are in there.

The small seal is no problem to remove but the large seal is buried so it is 'blind' in the housing. Take a sheet metal or even a sheet rock screw and drive it into the seal frame near the center. Do not go too deep, it is not necessary. Then pull the screw and the seal free.

Not an awful job but you will be wading elbow deep in some really stinky stuff (Easy Boys!!!) Otherwise a pretty easy job. Best of luck with it!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 11:18:06 AM »
Thanks for the help and encouragement Brian. Looking at the service manual is a bit intimidating. Hopefully it will make sense when I open the case. Also, reading threads on the other site (which are not easy to follow) some are saying you need to remove and replace the needle bearing to replace the buried seal. Are you saying the sheet metal screw trice gets around this?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 02:27:21 PM »
No, no needle bearing was changed in my go- through. I will take a look at the manual and see if I can find any other seals and what has to be done to get them R&R'd. Been a long, long time since I was in one of those drives and while my memory is like a bear trap, it is getting to be an old, rusty bear trap and not to be trusted. We age like bread and get stale and moldy, not a fine wine.

Just my personal opinion but doing a job like this I would try to replace all seals while in there. This is one of those high labor, low parts cost jobs so what I call 'shotgunning' works best for me (replace all soft, wear parts without regard to how they seem to be).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 03:39:53 PM »
I am in agreement with your repair job philosophy as well as your assessment of the aging effect on memory :-[
I appreciate your help. At my age nothing is easy any more.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 04:44:44 AM »
you got that right!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 11:37:42 AM »
Is that actually a leaking rear/final drive, or is that just spline grease? Mine looks not dissimilar and isn't leaking any fluid.

EDIT: I just looked and I don't have all the spots around the outside of the rim, just the streaky hub.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 12:28:50 PM »
Is that actually a leaking rear/final drive, or is that just spline grease? Mine looks not dissimilar and isn't leaking any fluid.

EDIT: I just looked and I don't have all the spots around the outside of the rim, just the streaky hub.
Yes it is a leaking rear drive. I had used some red gear oil last fill. You could see a puddle of the red oil inside the rear drive. I had cleaned the rim off once alreadyy and waht you see is from a 30 mile ride. Way to much for just spline grease. Anyway I swapped in the rear drive from my 09 and all is well now. Wheel is clean after 60 mile ride yesterday.