Author Topic: We Are Soldiers Still. A Journey Back To The Battlefields of Vietnam  (Read 2487 times)

Offline tjpgi

This book and the earlier book ( We Were  Soldiers Once...and Young)  is a must read for every American. I was deeply moved by the stories contained within its covers about the sacrifice and dedication that took place and continually takes place in our military. In today's cynical time of simply glossing over peoples' ( especially politicians of late) bad behavior it is uplifting to read about the true heroes of our time. Tomorrow I will join the Texas Patriot Guard for the funeral and internment of a fallen hero KIA in Afghanistan...to show respect and honor to this soldier and his family.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: We Are Soldiers Still. A Journey Back To The Battlefields of Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:26:22 AM »
I don't know if you saw it but in the 90's they had a special on 20/20 (I believe) Where Hal Moore went back to the battlefield and they were talking about the battle. They were talking about what happened in the spot where they were standing, looked around, and found an American helmet  from one of our guys that had been killed. It was a very moving moment. I wish I could get a tape of that show.

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:48:41 AM »
Hal Moore is my wife's great uncle.  They are still doing interviews and printing stories on him all of the time.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:18:12 AM »
Tim
I didn't see the tape but they talk about the helmet discovery in the book and have pictures of it. What I also found quite revealing about Lt. Gen. H. Moore is how he writes about the North Vietnamese commanders and their view point from a direction of honor and admiration. In one of the Vietnam's museums, there is a mural that depicts chronologically the occupation and wars of Vietnam. Fifty feet of the mural is about China's occupation, 12 inches is France's occupation and about 2 inches is dedicated to the American occupation. Gen. Moore's reflection about war is quite insightful especially from a warrior of his caliber.
Concoursbdh you have quite a unique member of your extended family as was Mrs. Moore. Encourage everyone to read these books. The men and women that fought in this war not only had a challenging job to do in Vietnam but did not have the support and "tools" that are available to today's warriors. I wish our politicians could emulate just a fraction of the characteristics of these men and women..honor, duty, loyalty, self respect and reliance, dedication to others, love of country through action not words.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »
I don't know if you saw it but in the 90's they had a special on 20/20 (I believe) Where Hal Moore went back to the battlefield and they were talking about the battle. They were talking about what happened in the spot where they were standing, looked around, and found an American helmet  from one of our guys that had been killed. It was a very moving moment. I wish I could get a tape of that show.

I saw that.  I would like to get that as well.

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
just ordered it on Amazon $1.47 plus $3.99 shipping

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »
I didn't know there was a second book.  Thanks.  I just put it on my request list from my local library.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline cmoore

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 04:21:01 AM »
We Were Soldiers Once And Young is a very good and very moving book. I agree it should be a must read for every American. His love for the men under his command came through in every page. A very remarkable book.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas