Author Topic: Turning off  (Read 2817 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Turning off
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »
You show your bike as being a 2011: that means that yeah, the adjuster is behind the rubber filler between the mid- fairing and the engine. Still, not much of a problem, simply open the very bottom of that filler and you will find it. I do not <think> you have to remove any fairing screws but you may have to remove the bottom / rear screw to pull the very bottom of the fairing away.

Thank you for the words of encouragement!!  The rain ended.  So I went back out there with a flashlight and tools.  I had to partially remove the mid and lower fairing and then, there it was!  So I routed it back out to be external and put everything back.  10 minutes.  You are right, I probably could have done it from below, but not without know EXACTLY where it was and what it felt like.

Started it, let it get warm, then adjusted it to 1125rpm for now (wow that adjuster is sensitive).  Let's see how it behaves.  The idle is still a bit erratic, but I am betting the engine won't just shut off on me now.  Should be able to ride tonight if there is no more rain... forecast looks good so far...

I guess any time I remove that fairing, I will have to remember to route that stupid thing to be external.  Never paid it any mind, since I have never had any idle problems until now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 09:31:29 PM »
Should be able to ride tonight if there is no more rain... forecast looks good so far...

OMG, *so* much better.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 07:06:30 AM »
 ::) There goes the air filter change.

Offline PH14

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 09:00:55 AM »

:rotflmao:

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 09:38:05 AM »
This is why Max tires last so long.😉

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 09:52:16 AM »

LOL! :)

The air filter shouldn't cause such symptoms- engine accelerates fine at 10 times the airflow.  Oh, it is probably dirty as hell, and needs replacement.  It is probably hurting higher flow power, but that wouldn't be enough to hurt idle.  If it were that dirty, the bike would ride like it had a wet rag in it.

The idle is still a bit erratic.  It is possible one of my plugs is a bit fouled- that could be caused by a valve being a bit loose.  I have been stepping up my efforts harassing my mechanic friend.

Rode it about 100 miles this morning at all speeds, rates, road types.  SO much better.  I didn't realize how much I was compensating for the issue with every launch.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 10:13:53 AM »
This is why Max tires last so long.😉

Um, no.

But they are starting to show significant wear now at 14,674 miles, 2.3 years.  Almost at wear bars now- they would not pass inspection (if I bothered to ever have the bike inspected).  So I might have another 3K miles left, depending on exactly how they wear and how much I care about having tread for wet riding (which I try to avoid, of course).

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 03:27:11 PM »
I am a little jealous. I would be happy to get half that mileagevout of a rear tire.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 05:36:53 PM »
I am a little jealous. I would be happy to get half that mileage out of a rear tire.

You would probably have to move to this area, because I think the roads make the most difference.