Author Topic: New bike, need some advice/help on some basic things  (Read 3194 times)

Offline MtnRider

Re: New bike, need some advice/help on some basic things
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 08:03:15 PM »
He won't do anything silly until August.  ;)

But, OH MY! The farkle silliness that can ensue at that point...

Nope! I'm not guilty at all.....     :o ;D

Offline dxr

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 11:22:39 AM »
5) Whats the best option for fairing protection?  (crash bars/sliders/etc?)

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Kawasaki/GTR1400_Concours/2016/AB0002BK/

I just got these installed on my 16 model.

How well do the full bars/cages work vs frame sliders?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 02:51:52 PM »
How well do the full bars/cages work vs frame sliders?

Much better, from my understanding.  Sliders don't offer the coverage, have little ability to absorb energy, and can't spread the load because all the impact goes to single point.  Of course, they are also less obstructive, far less expensive, easier to install, and don't interfere with maintenance.

I have yet to see any evidence that, on the Concours, any type/brand/model of sliders will prevent fall-over damage.  Yet, there is plenty for the Canyon Cages (both video and testimonials, plus my own experience).   But I have also not seen any evidence for any OTHER brand of cages/bars, other than a little on the Top Blocks.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 10:44:14 PM »
Remove the black plastic trim that has the glove box, remove and replace the air filter . It’s not much bigger than the one in my lawn mower and there’s a good chance it’s full of crud.
After that, replace the missing screw that goes at the bottom of glove box as your reinstall that trim piece.

Offline dxr

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 10:35:28 PM »
Next questions:
LED headlight bulbs-is there any consensus for what kit is best?

Backup keys, what's the easiest way to make a spare key for opening saddlebags? Can blanks be easily acquired somewhere?

Brakes:. The linked Brake system seems to have a slight jerk to it as it kicks in, is this normal?

Windscreen: with it all the way up, 3/4s of my head is still right in the wind.  I have to slouch down n duck my head almost 6"to get out of the turbulence... What's a better solution, a clip on windshield extension vs a replacement aftermarket screen?

Battery: i suspect my battery is getting old, cold cranking sometimes takes more than a second or 2 to kick over.  Is there a preference around here for replacement?

Throttle:. I'm still learning the feel of it, but it feels real on/off in the lower rev range, where barely and input at the wrist results in quick acceleration.(look I used to have a Harley I'm not used to having actually power, lol). Some posts indicated getting the ECU flashed can change how it responds, where's a good start to researching this?

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 01:57:28 AM »
I covered LED previously. I think you should just buy one and try it. Not everyone likes them, but they are all very similar. Apart from colour temperature. Personally, I don't see real good in the blue end of the spectrum, so I try to use ones 6000k or less.

Backup keys can be done at most key cutting places if they have the blank. They come in left and right handed blades and it depends whether your particular machine has an A or B key. My spare is cut from a Yamaha blank.

I can't tell you whether the linked brakes are normal because my bike only recently got them and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Batteries are another personal preference thing. I just stick with the one in the book.

Ah, the old on/off throttle trick! When I first got mine I thought it was just the way I rode it. A Shoodaben flash fixed that. I think the series 2 bike is a bit more civilised with the throttle, but if you're looking to fix it then Steve Sefsick is your man. You could research it, but unless you're looking for a cheap hack you will find yourself at Shoodaben Engineering.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 05:49:10 AM »
Next questions: LED headlight bulbs-is there any consensus for what kit is best?

Too many to know, and they change constantly.... so any recommendation would be meaningless.

Backup keys, what's the easiest way to make a spare key for opening saddlebags? Can blanks be easily acquired somewhere?

Lots of threads on that

Brakes:. The linked Brake system seems to have a slight jerk to it as it kicks in, is this normal?

No.  The linking is variable and smooth.  You are noticing something else.  What, I don't know- unless you are braking very hard and you might be noticing ABS.

Windscreen: with it all the way up, 3/4s of my head is still right in the wind.  I have to slouch down n duck my head almost 6"to get out of the turbulence... What's a better solution, a clip on windshield extension vs a replacement aftermarket screen?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16222.0

Battery: i suspect my battery is getting old, cold cranking sometimes takes more than a second or 2 to kick over.  Is there a preference around here for replacement?

There are a zillion threads on batteries, some from just the last month.

Throttle:. I'm still learning the feel of it, but it feels real on/off in the lower rev range, where barely and input at the wrist results in quick acceleration.(look I used to have a Harley I'm not used to having actually power, lol). Some posts indicated getting the ECU flashed can change how it responds, where's a good start to researching this?

Lots of threads.  Look at Shoodaben Mountain Runner.  And if you then don't think that flashing is enough (which you really HAVE to do if you want the bike to be what it needs to be) then Throttle Tamer.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2019, 11:15:35 AM »
Adjusting any slack out of the throttle can also improve things.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »
Adjusting any slack out of the throttle can also improve things.

+1.  Seems to need adjustment within the first year then, for me, about once every 2 to 3 years.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 04:44:57 PM »
I did mine the same day I brought it home.. have'nt touched it since, i could tell in the first 5 minutes of riding the beast, it needed it..

Now... must shut of computer... and get my lazy azzzz 10 feet, and install my "Mountain Runner Premium" flashed ECU...

man, I'm getting sooooo lazy. :'(

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline dxr

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 05:48:31 AM »
After having taken a few day drips, i do believe priority 1 and 2 might be upgrading the seat and windshield.   My legs and butt get sore as hell after about 3 hours on the road.   Can't find a good balance with the windshield either.   All the way down keeps my head in clean air, but blows alot on my chest, anything above 1/3 up gives me lots of noise and turbulence.   With it all the way up, the wind hits right at my forehead.    Think I'll  wait until after a few winter rides to decide how much more protection  I'll need though.   

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 02:58:20 PM »
Can't find a good balance with the windshield either.   All the way down keeps my head in clean air, but blows alot on my chest, anything above 1/3 up gives me lots of noise and turbulence.   With it all the way up, the wind hits right at my forehead.    Think I'll  wait until after a few winter rides to decide how much more protection  I'll need though.

Not a bad idea.  Also look at this:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16222.0