Author Topic: WTH....Ughhhhh why now?  (Read 8220 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Ughhhhh why now?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 06:45:48 AM »
Do I need a gasket or anything when I remove the clutch slave cylinder?

No.... There is just a small lip seal that the clutch push rod sticks out of on the side of the engine; there is a plastic spacer that fits between the slave and the engine that you don't want to misplace. Also don't over tighten the three 6 mm bolts that secure the slave as you can break the plastic spacer; they tend to get hard and brittle with age.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:15:40 AM »
I live close to that area, so I could always help out if you run into trouble. Sent you a pm.
If others send me an pm, I am offering support for long distance riders. Let me know if I can help. You never know!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:11:18 AM by DarkKnight »

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »
Thanks for the offer, its generosity such as this that makes this group so great.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »
Well the pump is in, no leaks that I can see.
Now its time for the silly question: is there supposed to be two crush washers; one on each side of the clutch slave banjo fitting? I have looked everywhere for the other one. If there's supposed to be two, damned if I know where it went. Auto parts here I come (tomorrow)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:21:16 AM by snarf »
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 05:21:30 AM »
BTT
2002 Conc

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:47 AM »
Yup.....should be one on each side. If you have any old ones off brake connections, I think they are the same. I know you should use new ones, but I have reused these things many times without any issue. I feel your pain with issues right before a long ride. I just had to pull my carbs and do a clean due to a dropped cylinder. Now I just want to get a few test miles in before I head out.

:offtopic:  BTW Chris, I am planning to ride the connie out to Vermont if you want to check out the brake upgrade.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 07:51:23 AM »
Make sure it isn't just melded onto the banjo fitting.  If it isn't, your local Napa or other good supply should carry them in stock real cheap.

Ron Ayers calls it a "WASHER,10.5X15X1.5"  for my '87 but it is superceded to "WASHER-SEAL,10.1X14.5".  This would be in millimeters of course.

The hole has to be slightly larger than the bolt shaft, but snug.  The other dimensions aren't as critical.  A washer that is slightly thinner or thicker is OK, along with a slighty larger or smaller outside diameter.  I think all the Concours use the same size.  Get a few extra and leave them in the parts bin.  Carefully rub the flat part of the fitting with a flat file to remove any burrs then clean it with brakecleen before reassembly.  Use the proper torque to "crush" the washer so it seals.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: WTH....Ughhhhh why now?
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 05:27:59 AM »
WTF.....
First the good news, I got the bike all finished up. I take her out for a quick spin without any plastics. No leaks and the clutch feels good.  :chugbeer:

Sweeeeet, now its time to put the tupperware back on.  I grab the handle bar with my left hand, left foot on the center-stand arm, right hand on passenger grab rail; 1,2,3 pull.
I get the bike almost to the apex and the F'n cenerstand arm breaks. :banghead: :banghead:
Any guesses on how many people it takes to stop a top heavy bike like this from falling over?  I will give you a hint, ONE more than I had in the garage with me.  It was all slow motion: crack, WTF, hey the bike is falling, hey I'm falling with the bike.
I'm sure it was very comical if somebody had witnessed it.  I thought for sure my mirror was busted.  Luckily the handlebar landed on the top of a cooler and my high-way peg dug into the concrete.  No damage other than emotional :-[.
Thanks for all the advice, see ya at the Rally ;D :D ;) :) 8)

2002 Conc