Author Topic: Connie is cold natured  (Read 2780 times)

Offline JDM

Connie is cold natured
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:58 AM »
With the old starting procedure, I would put the petcock on prime, pull the choke full open, then turn on the key and had to grind on the starter a lot before the bike would catch and keep running.

This winter, I came across a new starting procedure that seems to work quite well if the C10 has set for a week or so. This is what I have  been doing. 1st, I turn the petcock to prime. Then I reach up and turn on the key (which allows the solenoid valve I have to come on) and count to twenty to give the fuel time to fill the carbs. Next I pull the enriching choke on full; then I tap the starter until the bike starts. It usually takes 3 or 4 taps to get the  bike going. The bike also has stick coils, but I have had these for about a year before I discovered this new procedure. The bike stays connected to a battery maintainer, is in an unheated shop and has been starting in temperatures in the upper 20's. 

If anyone tries this technique, please give me some feed back.  HTH

THANKS, JD 
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Jet86

• California
Re: Connie is cold natured
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »
Well i don't have a solenoid valve but i tried this before if the bike had sat more then a week and it did seem to help just a little but not much, Now I'm against this method because i occasionally have a sticky float - needle and we all know what that will do to the engine if you prime to long.

any way it's rare my bike sits more then a week and even though she will die on the first start up she normally will stay running on the second time around and then i slowly back off the choke as needed keeping her idling around the 1500k mark but yeah she is Cold Natured and i have to let her run at least 5min before i drive off.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline JDM

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:00:34 AM »
last week the Connie cough  after 3 taps of the starter, temp. in the mid 30's.  This week it took 2 taps of the starter, temp. in the low 40's.   

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »

Yup,sounds normal to me. I've had the bike 18yrs and always been that way.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline JDM

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:31:54 AM »
This week the Connie cough  after 3 taps of the starter, temp. in the upper 20's.

Offline kreaky

• '98 Connie; '92 750 Nighthawk; '85 VF500F; '96 XR4
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:05 AM »
A PO must have screwed with my carbs because it hits 1st push of the start button on full choke, I can turn the choke full off after only minutes even when temps are low. I rode to town this morning, 36 degrees, by the time I got to the end of the driveway (1/2 mile), choke was all the way off.
"Once you go over the hill, you pick up speed."

Offline JDM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:50:26 AM »
This week the Connie cough after 2 taps.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
Mine is a lot like Kreaky's.  Unheated garage, low 30s this morning, so full choke.  Starts in 1/2 second or so, I let it idle while I put on the rest of the gear, and choke is off in less than 1/2 mile.  Idle speed is pretty low if I am stopping within 3-5 miles, but it does not stall.  YMMV.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline JDM

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 04:38:42 PM »
Mine is a lot like Kreaky's.  Unheated garage, low 30s this morning, so full choke.  Starts in 1/2 second or so, I let it idle while I put on the rest of the gear, and choke is off in less than 1/2 mile.  Idle speed is pretty low if I am stopping within 3-5 miles, but it does not stall.  YMMV.

saxman

Does the bike start like this after it sets for a couple week or so?

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
I guess if I was willing to let it sit for that long, I would know.  Only had it 11 months, and it has never sat more than 5-7 days.  Fires right up then.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!