Author Topic: Front fender rattle  (Read 2658 times)

Offline pat8228

Front fender rattle
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:31:07 AM »
I need help again! The front fender on my bike has about 1/2 inch of play in it and it rattles as I'm riding and especially when I hit bumps. I checked all four bolts and they were tight. Took fender off and when I put it back on I added washers on the bolts but they still won't tighten down enough to stop the rattle.
Any suggests will be appreciated!
Thanks

Offline Summit670

Re: Front fender rattle
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:17:13 AM »
Hate to suggest this, but is it possible the bolts are cross-threaded?  Is the axle/fork assly ok?  Where are you getting 1/2" play, between the fender and the fork or the fender and the brace or the front/rear of fender as you pull up/down?

If it is the up/down on end of fender, could it be the mounting holes are hogged out? 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:19:29 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:29:01 PM by knight_mare »

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »
Keep in mind that on the newer bikes there is a U shaped inner brace and the fender is pop riveted to this brace with 6 rivets; over time these may loosen up. Sometimes they can be carefully struck with a hammer to further tighten them but the best repair would be to drill them out and start over again with fresh rivets and backing washers. Another thing that I would do after I drilled the rivets out I would use silicone between the brace and fender then rivet into place. 
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline pat8228

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
Bike is 2004. They are not cross threaded. the whole fender moves, I can move it by hand with no effort and it moves easily. I heard the rattling when my radio battery on my Scala went dead and that's where I was able to trace it to. Didn't notice it when I had my radio playing in my ear.  ;D. I took off the fender and the metal bracket appears to be firmly attached. I couldn't move it by hand.
Thanks for the comments.

Offline pat8228

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
It is the metal bracket. With it mounted on the bike I can move the fender, but the bracket doesn't move.
Thanks for all the help.

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:29:30 PM by knight_mare »

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
It is the metal bracket. With it mounted on the bike I can move the fender, but the bracket doesn't move.
Thanks for all the help.

Add some silicone between the brace and fender and install new rivets.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline pat8228

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
Took care of it today. RTV, and new rivets and it's solid again. Again thanks for the help.