Author Topic: Is there a clear way to check for 100k?  (Read 2183 times)

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
Is there a clear way to check for 100k?
« on: April 11, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »
So, for giggles I'm going to go to this car dealership that has a connie for sale. It's an 05 w/ what *appears* to be 25k miles. Now, knowing full well these bikes can go forever, is there a clear, distinct way I can ensure that the odo hasnt rolled? Had a similar situation a few weeks ago, 2006 model, blue, looked great...car dealer had it, but when I called they clearly told me it was 149k. So, at it's price point, I might just grab it.......but interested to hear thoughts.

I've bought 2 connies before, I know a little about a little, but I'm thinking there has to be a clear cut way to know for sure...

Offline Summit670

Re: Is there a clear way to check for 100k?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:29:27 PM »
Not sure, but 3000 miles a year is a normal average.

Look for evidence of oil film in various places, drive shaft, valve cover, front wheel axle.  Look at the brake discs and brake pads and fluid.  I wouldn't think a bike with 25k is going to show much wear on the discs. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »
Good one on the disks.  Not an exact science, but how about debris wear on the front plastics and forks (any leading surface).  Look for lots of little pock marks on a higher mileage bike.  Worn grips too.  Wear on the clutch and break lever.  Seat wear and tank scuffing.  Look for wear on the side panels right where your ankle would rub just above the foot peg (the paint wears off).

Its very common to see that low mileage on bikes, even on one a little older.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:34:26 AM »
Its very common to see that low mileage on bikes, even on one a little older.

A guy who rides his C10 for 125k, would not trade it in at a car dealership.

Carfax?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
Mine's got 126K on it. The bottom of my belly pan and the coolant overflow access panel REALLY show road blasting right in line with the tires. If yours are fairly nice, I would wonder. Of course, they could have been repainted, but I would think that would be evident.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)