Author Topic: Tires on an 87  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Summit670

Tires on an 87
« on: April 14, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
I never thought I'd be asking this.  I've always put matching radials on my 1987 and now I'm having trouble coming up with a matching radial set.  I've got the 110/80-18 and 150/80-16.

The only sites I found that recommend tires for the pre-94 are:
Dunlop - the OEM tires, which I really don't care to use - radials
Avon - Storm 2 Ultra front and Azaro-ST rear - radials but not a matching set?
Continental - Conti-go front and TKV12 rear  - non radials

The chart on Bridgestone's site suggests this one:
Bridgestone - BT45's  sport-touring - non radials

The Avon site also has a set of non radials that I like but they don't come up using the selection guide:
Avon AM26

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone run the BT45 set front/rear and how does it work compared to other combinations?

Avon AM26?

Avon Storm/Azaro?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:26:59 PM by Summit670 »
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Jim __

Re: Tires on an 87
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
The BT45's were my first new set on my bike since I got it in '12.  They were great!  The only problem was the rear hit the wear bars at 5300 miles (bald at 6K).  I cornered hard on these tires but took it easy on the acceleration and braking so I was disappointed in the wear rate.  I've got a Shinko 777 on the rear now with the old BT45 up front.  The front looks like it will easily surpass 10 - 11K miles and is wearing evenly (no weights required for balancing).  This combo feels just as good as the pair of BT45's in the corners, but the Shinko has a stiffer sidewall so you'll feel the small bumps a little more.  BTW, if you mount your own tires, the BT45s and Shinko were a piece of cake.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »
not long ago i put on a shinko 777 rear and BT45 front and i have to say i don't like the BT45 at all, I'm not saying it isn't a good tire but i just don't like it myself and will never buy it again, it looks to flimsy and narrow, don't handle good on my bike, it follows alot of ruts in the road and i can feel it in the handle bars.

My last front tire the avon road rider was good and i got around 19k but i don't see that happening with the BT45.

the rear 777 is great and i'm on my second one, think i got about 11k from the last one.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »
I'm liking the PR2, and PR3 from Michelin and now the Angel GT from Pirelli in the 110/80 size, paired up with my second 777 Shinko in the back. Those combos are working very well for grip, handling, and ride. I got about !3k miles out of the last PR3, and get about 11-13 out of the Shinko.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »
Anyone try the shinko se190 radial rear? It's only $112 and is available in the 160 width.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 12:09:50 AM »
SE890...?

If so, I have run a matching set of them in GL1500 size...they work great, but, the front was a little noisy in turns...about 12k miles is what I've gotten on them...sure makes it easy to put the bike on the center stand...
'02 C-10

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 07:14:14 AM »
Avon has a new tire that is just coming to market, the Storm 3D X-M. It is available in the proper sizes of 110/80/18 front and 150/80/16 rear, it is a dual compound tire and is supposed to give 20% more mileage than the Storm Ultra. You might want to take a look at this tire.

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/sport-touring/storm-3d-x-m
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Summit670

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
Nice looking tire. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Offline Charliedog

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 07:20:54 PM »
Avon's are the way to go.  I replaced a Storm 2 Ultra/Venom X non-radial combo after 20,000 miles with a Storm 2 Ultra/Azaro ST combo.  Love the handling, too soon to predict mileage.  I suspect the next set will be the 3D-XM's.  Great tires, good to see a manufacturer supporting our beloved C10s...

Larry  aka  CharlieDog
Bristol, TN   
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »
Avon also makes an excellent bias ply tire (the AM-26 Roadriders). They come in nearly any size you want including the stock sizes for pre & post 94 C-10's. And don't criticize the handling until you have tried or ridden on them. Ask Daytona Mike. He followed me thru some of the best roads in Arkansas at the 2012 national, and he can tell you how well my bike handled and cornered with bias ply tires. 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 06:01:14 AM »
Avon also makes an excellent bias ply tire (the AM-26 Roadriders). They come in nearly any size you want including the stock sizes for pre & post 94 C-10's. And don't criticize the handling until you have tried or ridden on them. Ask Daytona Mike. He followed me thru some of the best roads in Arkansas at the 2012 national, and he can tell you how well my bike handled and cornered with bias ply tires.

I have these on my red '87.  These are the BEST handling ones i've had so far - by far.  They are BIAS-ply.  I don't know how many miles I will get out of them but I run them HARD.  Maybe a nice gentle slide or wiggle every once in a while.  No rain issues.

My black bike has a Shinko 890 on the rear and a Michelin Pilot Road 3 up front.  These are wearing like iron, but I don't like the feeling when they are pushed hard.  They tend to just "let go" with no warning wiggle - not real comforting.  It's primarily the front doing it, but the rear will easily break loose in the rain on a straight or turn.  These will not be purchased again.  Don't get me wrong, if you don't push it real hard and are looking for a long wearing set of RADIALS, this would be an excellent choice.  Stopping power is great with these especially after I added 4-pot Totiko calipers.  This bike will get the above mentioned tires if they are still around when needed.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Summit670

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 06:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the replys.    I'm leaning toward the AM26 or BT45.  The bike will probably only see 1500 miles a year since it is my backup bike now so age will probably kill the tires before wear.

Of these two, the BT45 set is about 9% less money.

Any big difference in the life expectancy in miles or how these tires age?

Riding is primarily flat, straight roads in Nebr and very little wet road riding.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 05:29:27 AM »
If you look closely at my pic you will see tiny cracks where the tire meets the rim.  These appeared a few months after it was mounted.  They haven't gotten any larger and are probably less than a 1/64" deep.  Not sure what caused them, maybe just stress from a few of the classes I've taken.  They get pretty abused.  I'd recommend the AM26, but have no experience with the BT45.
It looks like the BT45 has a symmetrical line down the center tread of the tire.  Personnally, I would stay away from this with this bike.  Centerlines (on almost any bike) tend to make the bike track off the crown of the road and follow pavement seams.  You may end up having a twitchy front end because you're always trying to get it back to the line YOU want.  Add the foot scoops and some air deflectors and you'll really get a work out.  The AM26 has a random off-center line (kind of like slashes) and is the main reason I tried it out to start with.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 05:12:12 PM »
I second what RFH said, try the AM-26's and you won't be sorry. The tread pattern is awesome, and he was right about anything with a center tread groove will give you a work out on road seams.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude